Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning application for 28 story building at Junction6

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I didn't see this particular development as a problematic height, it was grand really. It was more the overall density of the site without a decent connection to PT.
    The J6 Island is fairly marooned in middle of the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

town planning is exactly the problem, you guys plan our cities to be low rise. The less "planning" the better.

There is never any downside to height. The developers are the ones taking the financial risk.

I could name you perhaps 20 downsides to height in the wrong location.

I'm all for increased height and density in our city cores and in designated special development zones. But, not plonked in isolation in a poorly accessed area, with no potential for sympathetic scale to develop around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Great i hope they get this through planning. The height phobia in this country is something else and truly pathetic.

I assume the issue most people would have with development isn't the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I could name you perhaps 20 downsides to height in the wrong location.

I'm all for increased height and density in our city cores and in designated special development zones. But, not plonked in isolation in a poorly accessed area, with no potential for sympathetic scale to develop around it.

All those downsides to height would be subjective and in your mind. Which doesn't give them much weight. Phrases like "sympathetic scale" are completely meaningless outside your planning bubble.

Why do people care so much how private developers spend their own private money? Or think they should have a say in how they spend it. Seems arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

All those downsides to height would be subjective and in your mind. Which doesn't give them much weight. Phrases like "sympathetic scale" are completely meaningless outside your planning bubble.

Why do people care so much how private developers spend their own private money? Or think they should have a say in how they spend it. Seems arrogant.

If you can measure it it's not subjective.

They don't care how they spend their money. They care if they do something that negatively impacts them in some way. Like increasing traffic congestion beside them or devalue their property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you think its arrogant, I can't change your mind, but a big part of my job is to make sure investors maximise their return and aren't stuck with either a) a failed planning application or b) a white elephant. I've been doing it 25 years and I'm not bad at it. Put it this way, If I was selling snake oil to private developers, my phone would stop ringing pretty quickly.

My suggestion would be to look at other European countries and cities where ad-hoc high rise is permitted and ask yourself do you like the environment they create and a visual you'd be happy to look at everyday. If you do, fine, but experience tells me there'll be holy war locally if the J6 plan was approved as is. Quite apart from the fact it doesn't comply with the Fingal County Development Plan, after which all other considerations are moot.

Advertisement