Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange/eccentric work colleagues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

road_high wrote: »
    It’s long past the stage where a heave is required to get rid of this idiot. Should not be too difficult

I wish?!

Senior management love him so far. They think he’s a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Stheno wrote: »
    Well I had a female colleague who tended to have problems with sanitary wear being sufficient and left chairs stained with menstrual blood regularly.

We hot desked, so on the first day of every shift, we would all carefully inspect the chairs at any free desks

She was also found once underneath her desk in the middle of a call (it was a call centre) trying to change said sanitary wear

This isn't odd or eccentric. The poor lady was probably suffering.

cazzer22 wrote: »
    This isn't odd or eccentric. The poor lady was probably suffering.

Funny how nobody piped up about the lad who had to **** himself. I'd say he fairly suffered trying to hold that in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I wish?!

Senior management love him so far. They think he’s a breath of fresh air.

I think your team need to let him hang him self then...all that crap with social media is fine and dandy but they’ll want to see results soon

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Funny how nobody piped up about the lad who had to **** himself. I'd say he fairly suffered trying to hold that in too.

Actually missed that post. Going back now to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Yea cos dragging homo sapiens into office spaces Mon-Fri is just so natural to our psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Or the “top decker”.

Top decker?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Reading these posts makes me a little sad for many young people joining the workforce today; they may never experience the eccentricities of fellow colleagues. Sure after 18 years working in various offices, I've come across some strange people, but it really teaches you patience, empathy and resilience.

To list a few: colleague who stared into space for most of the day; colleague who hoarded their work; female colleague who threatened to shoot senior staff on a regular basis; colleague who quoted bible phrases in their work emails. I could go on...

But you get on with it and learn to work with each other on a daily basis and on occasion make friends with some colleagues. No doubt in today's wfh environment a lot of these experiences will no longer take place and while some people will be perfectly happy with this development, I would consider physically attending a workplace and having the odd night out together is an important milestone in life, especially when you are young.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reading these posts makes me a little sad that for many young people joining the workforce today; they may never experience the eccentricities of fellow colleagues. Sure after 18 years working in various offices, I've come across some strange and some nasty people, but it really teaches you patience, empathy and resilience.

The modern work environment is becoming less designed for humans to exist as humans, as what is wanted is obedient worker drones, who all behave the same, this is having detrimental effects psychologically on the worker drones, apologies, humans!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The modern work environment is becoming less designed for humans to exist as humans, as what is wanted is obedient worker drones, who all behave the same, this is having detrimental effects psychologically on the worker drones, apologies, humans!

Humans will always have a kink, thats why were humans.

• Advertisement

Kylta wrote:
    Humans will always have a kink, thats why were humans.

The modern work environment doesn't want this though

Oh yea, us aspies generally hate work nights out, neurotypicals become extra weird when they stuff highly addictive substances into them, then again, so to does us aspies

Oh yea, us aspies generally hate work nights out, neurotypicals become extra weird when they stuff highly addictive substances into them, then again, so to does us aspies

Anybody can be anti social, you don't need a syndrome to want to do your own thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A guy in our office is constantly choking on food, because he hasn't worked out how to eat properly. He was medically examined, because he assumed there was something physically wrong with him as it was happening so often. But no, they told him that he was just shoving too much food into his gob at a time, and then trying to breathe through his mouth. He explained this to us in all seriousness one day in the canteen.

At least once a month, someone has to thump his back to save him. He's actually had to ask his boss and team to look out for him when he's having his lunch, in case he starts silently dying.

There's another guy I've posted about before. He's not so much eccentric as an utter abomination of a human being.

That possibly the funniest thing I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Only 1 memorable guy.

He was about 35 and Def on the spectrum which we copped onto quite early in his employment

Lovely guy and when you speak to him first he would be constantly telling you about his car, he was obsessed with mini's and would be going through the entire history of them

Co workers didn't care at all and avoided him so he was a loner in our office but I would listen and ask questions because he would light up when someone was interested.

He was very fast at certain tasks which were absolutely mind numbing things like data entry of doing the exact same thing for 8 hours straight(look at figure , copy , paste figure , repeat for 8 hours * 5 days a week ) but he'd love it so he would get all those mundane tasks

He also wanted his own parking space but he didn't have one so every single day he would come to work at 7am and park in the spot and wait in his car until 9am when his shift started so he could have this particular space

Every day ,2 hours waiting outside the office so he would have this space and wait until the office opened and it didn't bother him in the slightest but if someone took the space he would be annoyed , thankfully it rarely happened. He always got the space

With his keyboard, it had to be exactly in a certain position and he would have his head on the table Inspecting did it align exactly with how he wanted it .

He went in AL for a week and someone used his PC to work for a day due to theirs being broken

When he came back he absolutely freaked out and got so flustered and upworked that someone touched his keyboard and moved it .He would be jumbling over his words with being flustered over his keyboard and getting frustrated because he couldn't get his emotion across that someone moved his keyboard

In fairness to the manager he was clued in and spoke with the particular co worker and said eg , ''john, ''bob said you used his PC while he was off, 'we know Bob likes his keyboard and desk in the manner that suits him so please return the pc to the same state or use an alternative pc if possible '' John was also clued in, no fush and apologized to Bob , said sorry that he should have left his keyboard exactly in the original position

We just got on with things , no drama and knew ''bob'' was on the spectrum and no point saying anything else because that was all that was important to Bob in the moment and regardless if you said ah Jesus cop on it was moved 2cm , Bob wouldn't see it that way so just nod and go on

He also wore the exact same clothes every day for the 4 years I was there but he was clean and didn't smell so we didn't care

We just assumed he had multiples of the same or constantly washed them

He was a nice guy, wasn't rude , good at certain tasks so we delegated to his skillset and got on with him but every few months certain things in my own life remind me of him and I always think he wouldn't last in 99% of other companies or departments nowadays

People may not be as nice which is awful for people on the spectrum . He got lucky with our dept but I wonder what he is up to every now and then

Prob still sitting in that parking space at 7am each morning .............

Kylta wrote: »
    Anybody can be anti social, you don't need a syndrome to want to do your own thing

many cases on this tread are more than likely aspies, showing common behavioral traits of such, the thread is potentially painting our behavior in a negative manner, yes our behaviors are sometimes not the social norm, but this is okay, the world needs difference, we just need to respect each others differences, autism isnt a 'syndrome', its actually a complex disorder, and you d be surprised how ignorant the general population can be over it, it can be exceptionally difficult to exist in this world with it, but it also can be extremely difficult to exist with other complex psychological disorders, again, the modern workplace isnt exactly human friendly, then add a complex psychological disorder on top, and you ve got big problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

There's a fella I work with, he dresses like a skanger but his hair and beard are super preened.
    To top off his look, he wears a sheepskin coat to work.
    He talks like a Californian but has a really high laugh.
    He looks like a mad British pedo aristocrat.

many cases on this tread are more than likely aspies, showing common behavioral traits of such, the thread is potentially painting our behavior in a negative manner, yes our behaviors are sometimes not the social norm, but this is okay, the world needs difference, we just need to respect each others differences, autism isnt a 'syndrome', its actually a complex disorder, and you d be surprised how ignorant the general population can be over it, it can be exceptionally difficult to exist in this world with it, but it also can be extremely difficult to exist with other complex psychological disorders, again, the modern workplace isnt exactly human friendly, then add a complex psychological disorder on top, and you ve got big problems.

Ok, i'll take your word on the aspies because you seem to know more about it than I do. But I can be anti social at times and i've no complex disorder, I work with many people who are basically fu¢ked up and they don't have a complex disorder. Their basically nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

wally1990 wrote: »
    Only 1 memorable guy.

He was about 35 and Def on the spectrum which we copped onto quite early in his employment

Lovely guy and when you speak to him first he would be constantly telling you about his car, he was obsessed with mini's and would be going through the entire history of them

Co workers didn't care at all and avoided him so he was a loner in our office but I would listen and ask questions because he would light up when someone was interested.

He was very fast at certain tasks which were absolutely mind numbing things like data entry of doing the exact same thing for 8 hours straight(look at figure , copy , paste figure , repeat for 8 hours * 5 days a week ) but he'd love it so he would get all those mundane tasks

He also wanted his own parking space but he didn't have one so every single day he would come to work at 7am and park in the spot and wait in his car until 9am when his shift started so he could have this particular space

Every day ,2 hours waiting outside the office so he would have this space and wait until the office opened and it didn't bother him in the slightest but if someone took the space he would be annoyed , thankfully it rarely happened. He always got the space

Prob still sitting in that parking space at 7am each morning .............

Obviously without knowing the set up.... But would you all have not agreed together not to park in that spot and let him arrive at 8:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Obviously without knowing the set up.... But would you all have not agreed together not to park in that spot and let him arrive at 8:30.

There was hundreds in the company with all different departments so we couldn't really. It my just dept with about 20 people that knew him

Why? I would've purposely took his place to annoy the bollix out of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Cos sometimes it's nice to be nice.

A small gesture can go far.

Now if your man demanded the spot, I'd park there on purpose but that's not the case here.

Cos sometimes it's nice to be nice.

A small gesture can go far.

So to can a bit of variety, then again theirs a bit of devil in me

Ok, i'll take your word on the aspies because you seem to know more about it than I do. But I can be anti social at times and i've no complex disorder, I work with many people who are basically fu¢ked up and they don't have a complex disorder. Their basically nuts.

im actually an aspie myself, what do you mean by those that are fcuked up?

im actually an aspie myself, what do you mean by those that are fcuked up?

I gathered you were an aspie because you've quoted it in most of your posts. My fu¢ked up work colleagues would have issues ranging form say anger to violent to spiteful to vindictiveness along with other outlandish traits.

I gathered you were an aspie because you've quoted it in most of your posts. My fu¢ked up work colleagues would have issues ranging form say anger to violent to spiteful to vindictiveness along with other outlandish traits.

some work environments are just rotten to the core, beyond toxic, what industry?

some work environments are just rotten to the core, beyond toxic, what industry?

Lets say its outside manual/maintainace work. But not everywhere is toxic, it all depends on the work environment your in and whether you like the job and whether you like your fellow workers. An unhappy job makes an unhappy worker.

Lets say its outside manual/maintainace work. But not everywhere is toxic, it all depends on the work environment your in and whether you like the job and whether you like your fellow workers. An unhappy job makes an unhappy worker.

trades seem to be filled with very ignorant folks, many would have undiagnosed psychological issues, and like many working environments, filled with folks with complex addiction problems, i.e. a recipe for disaster, for everyone, but also like many other environments, also filled with some of the soundest folks on the planet

That’s sorta the root problem Ive seen in various workplaces- petty little stuff that gets people’s backs up for no reason and then it sort of spirals into a cycle of passive aggressive stuff...ah thank god I no longer have line manager duties!

trades seem to be filled with very ignorant folks, many would have undiagnosed psychological issues, and like many working environments, filled with folks with complex addiction problems, i.e. a recipe for disaster, for everyone, but also like many other environments, also filled with some of the soundest folks on the planet

It’s the nature of it. Quite a macho high pressure environment. You’ll often get that, the personalities fit the environment

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    That’s sorta the root problem Ive seen in various workplaces- petty little stuff that gets people’s backs up for no reason and then it sort of spirals into a cycle of passive aggressive stuff...ah thank god I no longer have line manager duties!

Pity I could've parked in your spot

Advertisement