Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan parked in housing estate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

mick121 wrote: »

Caravans are not (generally)self propelled vehicles.

I get that,but was just curious as I think trailers need some sort of roadworthy test,and if so thought maybe a caravan would too as if your towing one along and something failed,it could be disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It's parked on the footpath and if it wasn't the op indicated that it would then block the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JimmyVik wrote: »
    You wont get that caravan moved OP.
    People are allowed to park their own caravan is their driveway or on the road outside their house.
    The only way to escalate it is if someone is living in it.

There are strict limitations on the storage of caravans in your garden and on the road. Planning Enforcement can issue proceedings here.

One caravan, one camper an or one boat can be stored within the boundary for up to 9 months of the year as long as it’s not being lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

People are allowed to park their own caravan is their driveway or on the road outside their house.

this is wrong, there are planning regulations around the use and storage of caravans, you can't just leave one outside your house all year round, even if it's on your driveway:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/can-i-put-a-caravan-on-my-plot-of-land-in-kerry-1.4202125

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

mick121 wrote: »

I get that,but was just curious as I think trailers need some sort of roadworthy test,and if so thought maybe a caravan would too as if your towing one along and something failed,it could be disastrous.

They don't.

Commercial trailers such as lorry trailers do, private use trailers & caravans do not require any testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 silversheep

Hi, thanks all. I won't be posting a photo of the caravan. It is in very bad condition, doesn't have a window and is filled with old pillows. Thanks for all of your advice so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

loyatemu wrote: »
    this is wrong, there are planning regulations around the use and storage of caravans, you can't just leave one outside your house all year round, even if it's on your driveway:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/can-i-put-a-caravan-on-my-plot-of-land-in-kerry-1.4202125

Well when the OP comes back and says its moved we will see:)
    Im guessing if they start proceedings now they might get it moved by Christmas 2023 :)
    Experience tells me they wont. Been there, done that. Its like trying to get your neighbour to cut down a huge tree. Impossible, unless they feel like cutting it down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi, thanks all. I won't be posting a photo of the caravan. It is in very bad condition, doesn't have a window and is filled with old pillows. Thanks for all of your advice so far!

Hallowe'en may take care of it. Sounds ideal with those lovely pillows.

spurious wrote: »
    Hallowe'en may take care of it. Sounds ideal with those lovely pillows.

:)

Thanks all. The Gardai have requested the owner to move it on two occasions, but he still hasn't. Hoping for a miracle!

• Advertisement

Thanks all. The Gardai have requested the owner to move it on two occasions, but he still hasn't. Hoping for a miracle!

Its like the gardai requesting someone to turn down loud music.
    They can comply if they feel like it. If they dont they gardai can do nothing about it.
    If they dont listen to the gardai, I think your best bet is to appeal to their kind nature and have a nice chat with them and ask them would they move it.

Hi, thought I would give an update. The guards have visited the owner of the caravan and requested that he move it on four separate occasions. Still not moved! The council have also been unhelpful. I am now taking steps to find out who the landlord is, but as I said as he isn't registered this isn't easy. Thanks for all the ideas anyway.... getting on to a TD next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

You have said previously that you wouldn't like the landlord to get in trouble. Why on earth not???

They are unregistered and obviously don't give a **** about the other residents living there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if it's on the road it has to be licensed and insured call Garda to tow it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    if it's on the road it has to be licensed and insured call Garda to tow it

A caravan has to be insured? Nonsense.

Thanks all. It's extremely frustrating as there have been a few near-accidents, most recently when a child came running out from behind a caravan and very nearly collided with a driver in the estate whose visibility was blocked by the caravan. It's extremely frustrating and the apathetic attitude of the owner isn't instilling me with confidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Marcusm wrote: »
    If the estate is not taken in charge then the road is unlikely to be a public road and the footpath not covered by anti-parking laws. Is there a managing agent or who owns the common areas?
    I don't think not being taken in charge means it is not public as far as Road Traffic Act is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Actually most councils have byelaws which only allows them to be there for 9 months max
    ********$*****

Can I keep a caravan/campervan or boat in my garden without permission?
    Yes, subject to:
    Not more than 1 caravan / campervan or boat;

No commercial / advertising use;

Not used as a dwelling while stored;

Storage not greater than 9 months in any year

ted1 wrote: »
    Actually most councils have byelaws which only allows them to be there for 9 months max
    ********$*****

Can I keep a caravan/campervan or boat in my garden without permission?
    Yes, subject to:
    Not more than 1 caravan / campervan or boat;

No commercial / advertising use;

Not used as a dwelling while stored;

Storage not greater than 9 months in any year

Good thing its not in their garden :)
    Seriously, ive tried to have one moved from a road before. Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I don't think not being taken in charge means it is not public as far as Road Traffic Act is concerned

It may be a “public place” Under RTA but it is not a public road unless the maintenance is the obligation of the local authority. Certain RTA matters such as drink driving, insurance etc apply to “public place” but parking is “public road” to the greater part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi, thought I would give an update. The guards have visited the owner of the caravan and requested that he move it on four separate occasions. Still not moved! The council have also been unhelpful. I am now taking steps to find out who the landlord is, but as I said as he isn't registered this isn't easy. Thanks for all the ideas anyway.... getting on to a TD next.

The problem is that the gardai do not have sufficient powers on private land. The person who needs to take action is the landowner which will be the developer or OMC until it is taken in charge by the local authority.

Hell is other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If the owners won't move a caravan after being requested by the Gardaí multiple times then this will be just the start of the troubles with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's not a miracle you need it's a box of matches!

You've asked the guy to get rid, the cops have asked him - it's going nowhere. You'll be looking at that thing and the rats living in it for the next 10 years!

Your choices are simple - put up and shut up, or hope that "somebody" burns it one of these conveniently dark nights and then it gets taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I do wish people would stop with the arson suggestions. It won't just be ignored by the Guards and will almost certainly result in a very serious criminal record for someone. There are cameras everywhere at the best of times.

Thanks all. It is a "private" estate but I would argue that the council still have a role to play in dealing with road incidents like this. It is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident. Thanks all.

A quick question: is it possible for there to be no management company over the estate? I probably should know the answer to this but it is difficult to find out the information. A dead rat has been spotted outside the caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A quick question: is it possible for there to be no management company over the estate? I probably should know the answer to this but it is difficult to find out the information. A dead rat has been spotted outside the caravan.

It's entirely possible, though most developments in the past 15-20 years have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

brisan wrote: »
    Data protection and privacy laws prevent this

Both apply to people. A caravan is not a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Halloween shortly

Advertisement