Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Retrofit solar PV with electric underfloor heating

  • 15-09-2020 3:28pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ donegal.


    I have to retile the entire downstairs of my house.
    I was thinking my putting in electric ufh before I put the new tiles down. It's about 80 square metres.
    And powering the heating with solar pv.

    Would there be enough heat to do away with radiators and oil burner?

    My main question I hope someone can help me with is approximately how much this might cost?

    House built in 2007 with tile roof.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    donegal. wrote: »
    I have to retile the entire downstairs of my house.
    I was thinking my putting in electric ufh before I put the new tiles down. It's about 80 square metres.
    And powering the heating with solar pv.

    Would there be enough heat to do away with radiators and oil burner?

    My main question I hope someone can help me with is approximately how much this might cost?

    House built in 2007 with tile roof.

    You will get very little SolarPV power generated during the winter months when the heating is needed the most.

    Your house will be roasting during the summer though! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ donegal.


    KCross wrote: »
    You will get very little SolarPV power generated during the winter months when the heating is needed the most.

    Your house will be roasting during the summer though! :D

    ****e, back to the drawing board then.
    Any suggestions?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭ graememk


    donegal. wrote: »
    ****e, back to the drawing board then.
    Any suggestions?
    Out of curiosity what's the power draw on it? Heating it on night rate could be an option.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ donegal.


    graememk wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what's the power draw on it? Heating it on night rate could be an option.

    I think about 3.1kw


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭ Water John


    Unless the floor is well insulated underneath and bridging to walls insulated, electric UH is not a good idea.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement