Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retrofit solar PV with electric underfloor heating

Options
  • 15-09-2020 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭

I have to retile the entire downstairs of my house.
    I was thinking my putting in electric ufh before I put the new tiles down. It's about 80 square metres.
    And powering the heating with solar pv.

Would there be enough heat to do away with radiators and oil burner?

My main question I hope someone can help me with is approximately how much this might cost?

House built in 2007 with tile roof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

donegal. wrote: »
    I have to retile the entire downstairs of my house.
    I was thinking my putting in electric ufh before I put the new tiles down. It's about 80 square metres.
    And powering the heating with solar pv.

Would there be enough heat to do away with radiators and oil burner?

My main question I hope someone can help me with is approximately how much this might cost?

House built in 2007 with tile roof.

You will get very little SolarPV power generated during the winter months when the heating is needed the most.

Your house will be roasting during the summer though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

KCross wrote: »
    You will get very little SolarPV power generated during the winter months when the heating is needed the most.

Your house will be roasting during the summer though! :D

****e, back to the drawing board then.
    Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

donegal. wrote: »
    ****e, back to the drawing board then.
    Any suggestions?
    Out of curiosity what's the power draw on it? Heating it on night rate could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

graememk wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what's the power draw on it? Heating it on night rate could be an option.

I think about 3.1kw

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Unless the floor is well insulated underneath and bridging to walls insulated, electric UH is not a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement