Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is a non recommendation.

Tesco have Irish lamb shoulder carvery joints at the moment. Reasonably cheap and reduced with clubcard.

What I didn't notice was that it has a mint and citrus stuffing. To be fair, it says it on the label but I didn't notice and it didn't look stuffed.

I went out for a while when it was cooking. Came home and got a really strange smell that I couldn't recognise. I wondered was one of the shallots I had roasting with it was off. A strange kind of sour smell.

It was only when I took it out of the oven I noticed the stuffing. It ruined the whole meal. This dried mint flavour had permeated all the meat and strongly flavoured the gravy. It was awful. Only picked at the meat. Thankfully, the cats will eat the bits without stuffing. I realised that the smell was exactly like commercial mint sauce, which I've always hated.

I know mint is a traditional accompaniment to lamb - but not stuffed inside it!

In fairness to Tesco, I emailed them and they sent me back to the shop for a full refund.

If you think that a mint and citrus stuffed lamb shoulder sounds nice, trust me, it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Expanding my experience of SV ready meals.. Hooked on the Mac and Cheese... Just basic but excellent. I have a chicken with stuffing lined up for Sunday dinner

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-ready-meals-for-1-supervalu-chicken-stuffing-dinner-500-g-/p-1531104002

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This thread! makes me yearn for a day out! Wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dunnes do a fabulous range of whole nut resealable pouches - the almonds covered in dessicated coconut and roasted nut mix are excellent - no sugar or oils - just the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can't remember if I posted about this, but my partner has picked up the oven cook at home Jambons from Super Valu. I've never been one for jambons but these are actually really nice. Probably all the salt, but still. I don't know the price, but they're very tasty.

• Advertisement

Really like the sicín sasta free range chicken fillets (can et them in SV and tesco) - very tasty and not much sinue or fat left on them to trim. 9 euro for 500g

SV bakery do a lovely white soda bread/farl in a half size - approx 1.40 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

Dunnes Stores Simply Better Soy sauce with Ginger.. its yum - but the packaging is v v annoying - glass bottle - no lip.. so its practically impossible to pour without a major drip.. grr.. and I see they have soooo many products in the same glass bottle.. I guess it would be too €€ to change to a better format.. annoying though ...

anyone else find this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

^^ @sporina Dunnes have been really upping their game recently, haven't they! I must try that soy and ginger sauce, sounds lovely. Have you tried their roasted garlic aioli (€4 I think)? I haven't yet.

I like to keep some bottles for future use. The Kikkoman soy sauce bottle looks lovely. And I use the olive oil bottle from the Olive Stall (English Market Cork) for storing lentils.

well that sauce is great - packaging - not so.. but yes, good thinking - I could decant the DS product into an empty Kikkoman bottle.. it pours really great.. no not tried the garlic aioli - must suss it out

The Kikkoman bottle is well designed too; you can hold a finger on one of the holes to block the flow, and lift it to allow the sauce to pour. Clever!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The garlic aoili isn't bad. As with everything in my view, it needs more garlic, but it's definitely a better offering than most.

Must try this - thanks!

Dunnes have really stepped up their own brand range now, going for the M&S type market

And the have a little plastic inner cap that goes under the pourer. If you haven't lost this, it's great for travelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

SuperValu’s signature tastes Riojan Chorizo Cular is excellent, have been eating it for years

Could easily eat an entire stick on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bought this in Dunnes the other day, twas on offer for 3.49 down from 3.99. I like Halloumi so was interested in an Irish made one! Haven't tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thats really good... but it sells out really quickly every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

It's very good, best supermarket Chorizo I've found and very reasonably priced at €2.50. I've tried much more expensive ones that weren't anyway as nice.

Must be lucky with my local Supervalue, can always get it. I don't shop there too much and it's one thing I always pick up when I'm in, try to keep two in the fridge at all times.

Post edited by Ryath on

The nicest chorizo I've had, but out of stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Haha who knew this chorizo had such a cult following, it’s good stuff

Haven't had it in years but, while a bit inconsistent, when it was good, the Gubeen chorizo was fantastic!

Must check out the SV one.

• Advertisement

i can't eat any of those meat products - chorizo, pepperoni etc.. they repeat on me for day after

Said it before but I think the Tesco finest Irish pork sausages are as good as an Irish breakfast sausage (as a style) gets.

What I mean is that there may well be better artisan sausages of various styles out there but not in the style of an Irish breakfast sausage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Tesco have their frozen pork sausage patties back, for an authentic sausage and egg muffin filler... (packaging isn't well glued this time for some unknowable reason, handle with care)

Dunnes do a lovely hickory smoked salmon ribbons (80g) pack. Pricey but lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not the Rosemary from Supervalue anyway

^^ Tesco sell frozen rosemary which is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bought this the other day in Tesco on a whim as they didn't have Roquefort, OMG what a find, not as strong but utterly delicious, crumbly heaven on original flavoured Tuc crackers

Roqfo

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Dunnes have a new range of single original chocolate bars - 43% and 32% milks, 64% and 67% darks etc. different countries of origin. Well worth a try. Think they are made by Aine chocolatier (Cavan)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marks and Spencer 'Wheat and White' Medium sliced bread. €1.20 for 700g

The nicest of these 'goodness of both' type breads I've tasted. Makes a lovely sandwich.

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-wheat-white-medium-sliced-bread-511051011

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Dunnes have a new range of GIANT bagels - 120g a piece - in a 4 pack. The best supermarket bagels available imo

A few different varieties

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/dunnes-stores-simply-better-irish-made-original-bagels-480g-100282774

Advertisement