Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in the event of an accident?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My wife came off her bike on Saturday. As she fell, her bike glanced off a car stopped at lights.

Thankfully she was not badly hurt, although she did hit her head off the handlebars and now has a whopper of a black eye!

It was a SUV and as luck would have it, she only damaged the paintwork on the petrol flap.

She’s been in contact with the driver and the driver has been paid in full for the repair.

Bloody cyclists! The sooner they have reg plates, tax and insurance so they can be held accountable for damage to cars eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

This happened to me last night coming home from city centre. Got hit by guy pulling out of side road as i got to Kilcock village.

I took a pic of is insurance disk etc and got his number but didn't think to ring anybody. So I should be reporting this yeah?

I am in much worse state this morning than i was leaving the scene yesterday

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you need to see a GP?
    Is your bike damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Do you need to see a GP?
    Is your bike damaged?

Checking in with GP this afternoon. My knees are not great after landing on them but the bike seems fine.

Guards mentioned insurance and license. Only my second time commuting so I didn't even know that was needed. Maybe the guard thought I meant a motorbike on second thoughts but he said if we are sorting it out ourselves there was no need to have them involved

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

pakman wrote: »
    Checking in with GP this afternoon. My knees are not great after landing on them but the bike seems fine.

Guards mentioned insurance and license. Only my second time commuting so I didn't even know that was needed. Maybe the guard thought I meant a motorbike on second thoughts but he said if we are sorting it out ourselves there was no need to have them involved

Make sure its reported because if the driver changes their mind and you have nothing in writing, your up sh1t creek in regards getting any help. All the Garda needs to do is log it on Pulse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Just on the insurance questions, I collided with a car in France a few years ago on holidays, I was at fault and my CI insurance covered all damage to the car and my hospital bills.

My dad was left hooked about a month ago, he was knocked out and in no state to take any details so you are relying on the driver/other cars to stop and hopefully take details. He did have a camera and it’s quite shocking to be honest, she never even fully overtook him before turning left! You can hear her saying in the video the she looked in the mirror and he “was very far back”

I’d love to post the video but it’s with the guards and the officer said he expected her to be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What happens in the event where there's no actual collision? Lets say you're cycling along and a car starts to make one of those hook turns in front of you. You slam on the brakes and go flying, but the car had stopped in the meantime so there was no contact. Essentially you've fallen off your bike because you thought there would be a crash. Is the driver still liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

VonLuck wrote: »
    What happens in the event where there's no actual collision? Lets say you're cycling along and a car starts to make one of those hook turns in front of you. You slam on the brakes and go flying, but the car had stopped in the meantime so there was no contact. Essentially you've fallen off your bike because you thought there would be a crash. Is the driver still liable?

Morally yes, legally no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

An ex colleague collided with car b when motorist driving car a turned across his path and he had to swerve to avoid her. He was briefly knocked out, but another motorist followed the driver of car a into the car park she'd turned into, and my colleague got a not insignificant sum from her insurance. He had witnesses which I guess was crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

I was knocked down around Easter time. I was going straight through a roundabout and he pulled from the 3 o’clock and hit me from the side. I got flung through the air fairly far but miraculously nothing major.

Until the next day anyway, bruises all over my hips, getting up hurt. Missed three days of work. Bike was badly damaged, new wheel, fork and pedals needed.

When he got out, he admitted fault straight away and dropped me home, and paid for the bike damage fairly sharpish. But I didn’t go the official route and get loss of earnings etc. I regret it not but at the time of a collision you don’t know what to do most of the time, and after that you don’t want to go reopening old wounds. That’s me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Got hit by a car on a roundabout. Made sure the guards were called & got the drivers details.
    When I rang the driver to get covered for three days pay, doctors visit & small prescription he claimed he didnt hit me.
    Went straight to his insurance company,in person, & got sorted for the same.
    Think the fact that there was a guarda report was to my benefit.

Advertisement