Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Mad_Lads ID.3 Test Drive

  • 12-09-2020 4:52pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    As usual, this is a review based on my opinion and personal preferences and expectations not meant to be the be-all and end-all go test it and make your own mind up. ;)

    The test drive was overall positive it was the 1st edition, car is good to drive, smooth and quiet, very refined, you wouldn't know what speed you are doing which makes me also wonder how the speedometer is calibrated ? Handling was good but the overall drive is let down by the numb steering, they could have done better with it to be honest and it's a pity the weight doesn't adjust by the mode, it's always numb.

    I drove it from Sheehy Motors in Carlow Town out towards Castledermot to the M9 South for Waterford and turned off at the Tinryland Exit and back in towards Carlow Town then out the Hacketstown Road to Walshes Pub in Killerrig and back, anyone local reading will know the route.

    Definitely more whack from a standstill than the i3, the i3 had to be calmed down due to the torque breaking motor mounts, it will be interesting to see if vw will need to do this to the id.3, though the overall acceleration doesn't feel a lot different to the i3 just the mapping if that makes sense ? the id.3 has a nice bit of poke on the motorway but id.3 owners will most of all and should most of all appreciate the wonderful rear wheel drive setup, no matter how I tried I couldn't get the wheels to spin, the traction didn't even come on which is amazing considering they allowed so much torque from 0 and it's just so much better than the Kona, E-Soul and Leaf 40 I drove, Night and day.

    Space, plenty of rear space with my driving position but foot space for rear passengers is very tight, I had the rear seat down all the way as I normally do so that might be uncomfortable for rear passengers if the driver or front passenger isn't prepared to lift the seat up a bit. I didn't pay attention to the width. The boot is decent.

    Infotainment ? well, I didn't have time to play around with that, I'm not a fan of needing the touch screen for almost every function, it's distracting and a pain in the ass if you're driving, BMW's I drive is just leaps and bounds superior, I would like a few buttons for real basic stuff like the Radio with some preset buttons so I don't have to fiddle through menus, it's not good, God knows what I'd think of a Model 3, better implemented perhaps ?

    The Gear selector or whatever you want to call it was similar to the i3, a great system and all cars should have it in the same location, it's just great.

    One thing that struck me was how weak the regen ( when you lift off the throttle ) was even in B, in all modes, Eco Sport etc, adjustable ? again, no time to play with menus but my old 24 Kwh Leaf had stronger regen, but perhaps VW programmed it to provide much more regen when you press the brake pedal but it's definitely not one pedal driving or even close.

    The adaptive cruise works as one would expect, the lane keep assist is just ping ping, will bounce you from like to line, a real shame traffic assist can't be ordered.

    Now to the not so good, the interior, some of the plastics look as if they should be in a van, hard plastic mostly, the grey interior is not so nice and the seats are worse when you see them for real than in the pics, they have a colour that make them appear to have faded due to age, they are hideous and a real shame VW couldn't have done better being the Worlds largest Auto maker. The seats though are comfortable so no complaints there. Definitely the colours chosen are not appealing in the slightest, perhaps different colours might make it a little more palatable. I found the arm rests poor, just useless to me to be honest.


    Over all what does Mad_Lad think ?

    Apart from the interior, if you can live with it it's a good car to drive, smooth, refined with decent handling and decent power. It's a real shame there is no traffic assist at the price or not even the option, perhaps future versions will have more options but to have to go to the Max version to get travel assist would make the car too expensive and you might as well have a model 3 with a lot faster acceleration and much faster charging on DC.

    If you don't care about decent lane keep assist the id.3 with RWD is definitely going to be way better to drive + 100 Kw charging for the 1st edition, probably optional for all other cars so beware of this .if you drive endless kms on the motorway then the Korean cars or Nissan Leaf might be the better option with their more advanced lane keep assist systems but then you will experience very frustrating wheel spin.

    Pics coming.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    8xbbzVh.jpg

    gayvTwE.jpg

    7UsOtYw.jpg

    310eMYn.jpg

    lRaPTKq.jpg

    Whmwn3W.jpg

    40eYdoy.jpg

    fME1HXq.jpg

    ZaCI4Ld.jpg

    71C2Vq1.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    The Pics are high res so use the browser zoom function to get a good close up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭ eagerv


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    As usual, this is a review based on my opinion and personal preferences and expectations not meant to be the be-all and end-all go test it and make your own mind up. ;)

    The test drive was overall positive it was the 1st edition, car is good to drive, smooth and quiet, very refined, you wouldn't know what speed you are doing which makes me also wonder how the speedometer is calibrated ? Handling was good but the overall drive is let down by the numb steering, they could have done better with it to be honest and it's a pity the weight doesn't adjust by the mode, it's always numb.

    I drove it from Sheehy Motors in Carlow Town out towards Castledermot to the M9 South for Waterford and turned off at the Tinryland Exit and back in towards Carlow Town then out the Hacketstown Road to Walshes Pub in Killerrig and back, anyone local reading will know the route.

    Definitely more whack from a standstill than the i3, the i3 had to be calmed down due to the torque breaking motor mounts, it will be interesting to see if vw will need to do this to the id.3, though the overall acceleration doesn't feel a lot different to the i3 just the mapping if that makes sense ? the id.3 has a nice bit of poke on the motorway but id.3 owners will most of all and should most of all appreciate the wonderful rear wheel drive setup, no matter how I tried I couldn't get the wheels to spin, the traction didn't even come on which is amazing considering they allowed so much torque from 0 and it's just so much better than the Kona, E-Soul and Leaf 40 I drove, Night and day.

    Space, plenty of rear space with my driving position but foot space for rear passengers is very tight, I had the rear seat down all the way as I normally do so that might be uncomfortable for rear passengers if the driver or front passenger isn't prepared to lift the seat up a bit. I didn't pay attention to the width. The boot is decent.

    Infotainment ? well, I didn't have time to play around with that, I'm not a fan of needing the touch screen for almost every function, it's distracting and a pain in the ass if you're driving, BMW's I drive is just leaps and bounds superior, I would like a few buttons for real basic stuff like the Radio with some preset buttons so I don't have to fiddle through menus, it's not good, God knows what I'd think of a Model 3, better implemented perhaps ?

    The Gear selector or whatever you want to call it was similar to the i3, a great system and all cars should have it in the same location, it's just great.

    One thing that struck me was how weak the regen ( when you lift off the throttle ) was even in B, in all modes, Eco Sport etc, adjustable ? again, no time to play with menus but my old 24 Kwh Leaf had stronger regen, but perhaps VW programmed it to provide much more regen when you press the brake pedal but it's definitely not one pedal driving or even close.

    The adaptive cruise works as one would expect, the lane keep assist is just ping ping, will bounce you from like to line, a real shame traffic assist can't be ordered.

    Now to the not so good, the interior, some of the plastics look as if they should be in a van, hard plastic mostly, the grey interior is not so nice and the seats are worse when you see them for real than in the pics, they have a colour that make them appear to have faded due to age, they are hideous and a real shame VW couldn't have done better being the Worlds largest Auto maker. The seats though are comfortable so no complaints there. Definitely the colours chosen are not appealing in the slightest, perhaps different colours might make it a little more palatable. I found the arm rests poor, just useless to me to be honest.


    Over all what does Mad_Lad think ?

    Apart from the interior, if you can live with it it's a good car to drive, smooth, refined with decent handling and decent power. It's a real shame there is no traffic assist at the price or not even the option, perhaps future versions will have more options but to have to go to the Max version to get travel assist would make the car too expensive and you might as well have a model 3 with a lot faster acceleration and much faster charging on DC.

    If you don't care about decent lane keep assist the id.3 with RWD is definitely going to be way better to drive + 100 Kw charging for the 1st edition, probably optional for all other cars so beware of this .if you drive endless kms on the motorway then the Korean cars or Nissan Leaf might be the better option with their more advanced lane keep assist systems but then you will experience very frustrating wheel spin.

    Pics coming.


    Thanks for all that.


    Did you drive the 1st or the 1st Plus? I know the pics are the Plus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ kris_2021


    I thought armrest was very good. Did u set it up correctly :p
    I don't think seats looks bad but everyone has different taste. I am glad you liked the drive - which is the most important to me and that is why I have no regrets of buying one (delivery next Friday 1st basic).


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭ eagerv


    Mad_Lad wrote: »

    One thing that struck me was how weak the regen ( when you lift off the throttle ) was even in B, in all modes, Eco Sport etc, adjustable ? again, no time to play with menus but my old 24 Kwh Leaf had stronger regen, but perhaps VW programmed it to provide much more regen when you press the brake pedal but it's definitely not one pedal driving or even close.


    Sounds like Regen 1 and 2 in the Koreans.
    I personally don't like 1 pedal driving, preferring the stronger regen in the brake pedal.

    Pity if there is no zero regen though, my favourite..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ Silent Running


    eagerv wrote: »
    Sounds like Regen 1 and 2 in the Koreans.
    I personally don't like 1 pedal driving, preferring the stronger regen in the brake pedal.

    Pity if there is no zero regen though, my favourite..

    The one I tested freewheeled like the Ioniq when the regen wasn't in B. But the strength of the B mode was too low for my liking. I didn't notice auto regen either, which is a great feature in the e-Niro.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    eagerv wrote: »
    Thanks for all that.


    Did you drive the 1st or the 1st Plus? I know the pics are the Plus.

    The pics are the 1st the plus is what I drove, I text the salesman to confirm. But I didn't notice the difference ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    kris_2021 wrote: »
    I thought armrest was very good. Did u set it up correctly :p
    I don't think seats looks bad but everyone has different taste. I am glad you liked the drive - which is the most important to me and that is why I have no regrets of buying one (delivery next Friday 1st basic).

    The drive was good, the RWD makes such a difference to grip in an EV, just wish I had more time in it.

    Best of luck with your id.3.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    The one I tested freewheeled like the Ioniq when the regen wasn't in B. But the strength of the B mode was too low for my liking. I didn't notice auto regen either, which is a great feature in the e-Niro.

    Yeah the regen was strange I have to say and not programmable, at least not that I could find.

    I do not like creep, I absolutely hate it, the i3 doesn't creep and it's a joy but the id.3 creep is much less annoying than in the Korean cars, it just shoots forward when you lift off the brake, it's ridiculous and in my opinion shouldn't happen, the car should only move forward when you press the throttle at least the option should exist to turn it on and off.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ Silent Running


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Yeah the regen was strange I have to say and not programmable, at least not that I could find.

    I do not like creep, I absolutely hate it, the i3 doesn't creep and it's a joy but the id.3 creep is much less annoying than in the Korean cars, it just shoots forward when you lift off the brake, it's ridiculous and in my opinion shouldn't happen, the car should only move forward when you press the throttle at least the option should exist to turn it on and off.

    You really have a hatred for the Korean cars, don't you?

    The e- Niro doesn't shoot forward at all. Any movement can be controlled with the brake pedal. I would much prefer that than jumping from accelerator to brake and back to achieve small movements, or to roll forward in traffic. It's the same as any automatic car I have owned. None of them shoot forward.

    Creep won't happen at all with auto hold turned on and there will be no creep if you stop the car with the left paddle.

    I would suggest that you park your hatred, read up on the features so that you know how to use them and go on a test drive in the e-Niro. Try out the lane follow (not the lane keep, that's worse than useless), try the auto regen turned on and off, try auto hold, both on and off, use the adaptive cruise. Just don't do what you did when you tested the Kona: going in blind and giving out that nothing worked.

    The RWD on the ID.3 is really good, the car just feels better pushing than the FWD pulling, but the 1st Plus I drove left me feeling a bit dry. No lane follow was a big loss for me. Storage for cables and tools is a lot less than I have in the Niro, and I carry a space saver spare, jack and brace. The voice commands seemed slow and a bit clunky for new tech. And of course, there's the range...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ jonnythefox


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Yeah the regen was strange I have to say and not programmable, at least not that I could find.

    I do not like creep, I absolutely hate it, the i3 doesn't creep and it's a joy but the id.3 creep is much less annoying than in the Korean cars, it just shoots forward when you lift off the brake, it's ridiculous and in my opinion shouldn't happen, the car should only move forward when you press the throttle at least the option should exist to turn it on and off.
    There is a "hold function" on the ID3 that turns off the creep.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭ eagerv


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Yeah the regen was strange I have to say and not programmable, at least not that I could find.

    I do not like creep, I absolutely hate it, the i3 doesn't creep and it's a joy but the id.3 creep is much less annoying than in the Korean cars, it just shoots forward when you lift off the brake, it's ridiculous and in my opinion shouldn't happen, the car should only move forward when you press the throttle at least the option should exist to turn it on and off.


    I like the creep on our Ioniq, I find it much easier to inch up to a charge point with your foot covering the break, but each to their own.


    The pics you posted were definitely a Plus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    You really have a hatred for the Korean cars, don't you?

    I would suggest that you park your hatred, read up on the features so that you know how to use them and go on a test drive in the e-Niro. Try out the lane follow (not the lane keep, that's worse than useless), try the auto regen turned on and off, try auto hold, both on and off, use the adaptive cruise. Just don't do what you did when you tested the Kona: going in blind and giving out that nothing worked.

    The RWD on the ID.3 is really good, the car just feels better pushing than the FWD pulling, but the 1st Plus I drove left me feeling a bit dry. No lane follow was a big loss for me. Storage for cables and tools is a lot less than I have in the Niro, and I carry a space saver spare, jack and brace. The voice commands seemed slow and a bit clunky for new tech. And of course, there's the range...

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112461377

    Worth a read, to prove I am not anti Korean, I enjoyed my E-Soul extended test drive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ RC4


    eagerv wrote: »
    Sounds like Regen 1 and 2 in the Koreans.
    I personally don't like 1 pedal driving, preferring the stronger regen in the brake pedal.

    Pity if there is no zero regen though, my favourite..

    Regen level depends on the charge level of the battery according to the manual. Looks like little or no regen when the battery is fully charged. I’d assume the dealer would have it charged before a test drive so that could be why it feels light


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    RC4 wrote: »
    Regen level depends on the charge level of the battery according to the manual. Looks like little or no regen when the battery is fully charged. I’d assume the dealer would have it charged before a test drive so that could be why it feels light

    Good point, never even checked the charge level of the test car to be honest. Very good point, ;)

    I never checked efficiency either, I was more interested in how it drove.

    I can't wait to hear about cold battery charging or whether they have implemented a means to mitigate this rather big issue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ RC4


    eagerv wrote: »
    Sounds like Regen 1 and 2 in the Koreans.
    I personally don't like 1 pedal driving, preferring the stronger regen in the brake pedal.

    Pity if there is no zero regen though, my favourite..

    Regen level depends on the charge level of the battery according to the manual. Looks like little or no regen when the battery is fully charged. I’d assume the dealer would have it charged before a test drive so that could be why it feels light


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    Mad_Lad wrote:
    One thing that struck me was how weak the regen ( when you lift off the throttle ) was even in B, in all modes, Eco Sport etc, adjustable ? again, no time to play with menus but my old 24 Kwh Leaf had stronger regen, but perhaps VW programmed it to provide much more regen when you press the brake pedal but it's definitely not one pedal driving or even close.
    Hmm. One pedal driving is a thing I won't ever let go from the i3. And non adjustable regen is no good. Almost a deal breaker for me. In the i3 you've full control over the regen.

    Sounds like a decent car overall, with a few quirks, but I'm not 100% sure vs the i3.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    RC4 wrote:
    Regen level depends on the charge level of the battery according to the manual. Looks like little or no regen when the battery is fully charged. I’d assume the dealer would have it charged before a test drive so that could be why it feels light
    Well, at 100% SOC all EVs regen less.

    Hope the level of regen doesn't increase even at lower SOC values, that would be silly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    When I test drove it the SoC was well down and the regen didnt feel alot stronger than the old Leaf... much the same as everyone else has reported.

    I didnt see an adjustment for it either other than D and B but, like most others here, didnt have the time to delve into every menu either to find out.

    Each to their own but regen strength isnt a deal breaker for me. It was fine. Not that interested in one pedal driving. If the car is fun to drive and comfortable and charges fast and goes far, I'm good with it!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    McGiver wrote: »
    Hmm. One pedal driving is a thing I won't ever let go from the i3. And non adjustable regen is no good. Almost a deal breaker for me. In the i3 you've full control over the regen.

    Sounds like a decent car overall, with a few quirks, but I'm not 100% sure vs the i3.

    Yes the i3 regen is decent and having the ability to control it with the throttle is nice.

    The id.3 is a pretty decent drive yeah but the i3 is a different beast, it's more sporty, you feel the road more and the steering has a lot more feel. The id.3 would be more comfortable in town over speed bumps and broken town surfaces but on the open road and on back roads the i3 is a lot of fun, I just wish I could get a spin in the S.

    However, for a normal car the id.3 drive wise is pretty good, nice and refined, comfortable and decent handling. Hopefully a sport version of the id.3 arrives but I don't think many People would be disappointed with the drive at all.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    KCross wrote: »
    When I test drove it the SoC was well down and the regen didnt feel alot stronger than the old Leaf... much the same as everyone else has reported.

    I didnt see an adjustment for it either other than D and B but, like most others here, didnt have the time to delve into every menu either to find out.

    Each to their own but regen strength isnt a deal breaker for me. It was fine. Not that interested in one pedal driving. If the car is fun to drive and comfortable and charges fast and goes far, I'm good with it!!

    VW could have configured it to give max regen only when pressing the brake pedal.

    Charging speed is probably the best out there at the moment in a car of this class, I just hope VW thought of something to warm the battery for fast charging in cold weather.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    Mad_Lad wrote:
    Charging speed is probably the best out there at the moment in a car of this class, I just hope VW thought of something to warm the battery for fast charging in cold weather.
    Unlikely. But with 100 kW DC it's probably not needed, the battery will heat up pretty quick and cooling will kick in instead.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    KCross wrote:
    When I test drove it the SoC was well down and the regen didnt feel alot stronger than the old Leaf... much the same as everyone else has reported.
    Right so leafy type of regen in general.
    KCross wrote:
    Each to their own but regen strength isnt a deal breaker for me. It was fine. Not that interested in one pedal driving. If the car is fun to drive and comfortable and charges fast and goes far, I'm good with it!!
    Sure. My opinion though is that one-pedal driving is totally EV, two pedal driving is essentially an ICE system. All EVs should be one pedal, and of course if you wish you can use the break and do two pedal, but the default should be one pedal.

    So VW are ICE-thinking here - probably they intend the car for masses of people new to EVs? Conservative thinking. Why would the driver need to thump the break all the time if the car can do it itself? What's the rationale.

    Tesla does one pedal, BMW does it, Jaguar does it, even Hyundai and Nissan does it.

    Should be an option at least.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    McGiver wrote: »
    Should be an option at least.

    No argument with that. It is a preference thing.

    Even in the Leaf I would have rarely used B, one pedal driving would not interest me. I prefer the car to coast when I lift off, not immediately think that I want to stop and I dont want to be messing with paddles either... just coast please.

    I can see the attraction if you are in alot of stop/go traffic though.... so an on/off switch for one pedal mode, like the new Leaf, would be good for those people.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,511 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    McGiver wrote: »
    One pedal driving is a thing I won't ever let go from the i3.
    I've found that one pedal driving (with strong regen) is not only a great driving experience, it can make you a better and safer driver; because there's little efficiency penalty and no brake wear from slowing down, it is more natural to vary your road speed naturally to account for hazards.

    This plus the stupid creep mode would stop me from buying one (and I am genuinely looking for a second EV, although prob not buying for a couple of years).


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ graememk


    Lumen wrote: »
    I've found that one pedal driving (with strong regen) is not only a great driving experience, it can make you a better and safer driver; because there's little efficiency penalty and no brake wear from slowing down, it is more natural to vary your road speed naturally to account for hazards.

    This plus the stupid creep mode would stop me from buying one (and I am genuinely looking for a second EV, although prob not buying for a couple of years).

    Only ever driven a leaf once on a test drive with the epedal, so not enough experience to comment.

    We came from an automatic car to the eNiro, so the creep of that was just natural.

    Driving the eNiro we have regen at level 1, auto, so if the car in front of you is slowing down more than level 1 regen, it will crank it up as necessary.

    Finally its dark enough at night and I have experimented with the different levels of regen going down a hill.

    when regening on level 1 - no brake lights, level 2&3 brake lights come on.
    The auto regen icon shows what level you are at.

    Although ive been almost 1 pedal driving since i started driving, keep plenty of space for the car to slow down without braking etc.

    Also when you "brake" the car regens more, i think the actual brakes are used very little.


    There is G meter apps for phones, we could get actual numbers for the different deceleration modes

    Leaf, with epedal, the Kia/hyundai levels 1,2,3, the i3, teslas and then the id3, takes the "Feel" out of it.

    Find somehere relativly flat, drive at 50km/h and foot off the accelerator. I think we have enough people here with nearly all the electric cars on the (irish) market.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    Lumen wrote: »
    This plus the stupid creep mode would stop me from buying one (and I am genuinely looking for a second EV, although prob not buying for a couple of years).

    You just need to turn auto hold on, car will not creep when you press the brake. The car is an improvement over the Ioniq as it remembers your auto hold preference instead of having to turn it on everytime you turn on the car.


  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭ adunis


    Agree totally with mad lad re.regen anfd lane keeping
    Regen feels super weak
    Lane keeping is indeed utter ping pong which is a shame cos it's actually very good at seeing even very poor road marking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    liamog wrote:
    You just need to turn auto hold on, car will not creep when you press the brake. The car is an improvement over the Ioniq as it remembers your auto hold preference instead of having to turn it on everytime you turn on the car.
    At least that. I need to test drive it. Will go B mode.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    adunis wrote: »
    Agree totally with mad lad re.regen anfd lane keeping
    Regen feels super weak
    Lane keeping is indeed utter ping pong which is a shame cos it's actually very good at seeing even very poor road marking.

    Regen feels weak but perhaps it's a lot stronger when the brake pedal is pressed ? I'd be pretty confident it is.


Advertisement