Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wash issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, makes it a bit more odd, him responding to my query of why someone wouldn't lock the car then, suggesting it wouldn't make any difference.

He’s talking through his hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I was in a car wash recently and about to start and a guy filling up with fuel driving same car as me came running across forecourt waving his arms at me... What's going on here I thought.... He asked me if I had one of those boots that opens by swinging your leg under a sensor under the boot (the ones when your hands are full and you don't want to leave your shopping down). I told him I hadn't and he said I'll be OK then, apparently a car wash opened his boot and soaked the inside of it.

I remember seeing a you tube video of a woman washing the inside of car and water running everywhere.Wonder how long it took her trousers to dry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_sl_bj4z0A

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Don't do this they'll coat the car in colour filler polish and it'll look fantastic for about 3 days..

A proper detailer.... Wtf are you on?
    That's a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Surely a car wash malfunction can't be worse than a 30 year old barn find or a car sitting abandoned in a forest. Detailers get these things looking factory fresh, it's very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

ianobrien wrote: »
    On my experience, a full proper detail with paint correction takes a lot longer than a day, a LOT longer than a day....

I have seen a lot of valeting places call them details but they are far from details. Hell there a car wash place near me doing "half day details with machine polish" for €200. Geez I'd hardly have the decontamination some by then. A machine polish for me will take me at least 10 hours, depending on the damage it could be more. Then it's a sealant to be applied. Wheels/wheel arches are another couple hours, interior done fully is another couple hours. Then it's the glass, under-bonnet, boot, door shuts etc.

Feck it sure once I've spent almost 30 hours detailing a brand new vehicle before I was happy with it.

You'd do a single stage polish in day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A proper detailer.... Wtf are you on?
    That's a ridiculous statement

Detailing is only temporary, new paint is permanent. No need for the faux outrage.
    If the op's paint has been damaged it needs to be replaced, not ground and polished to within an inch of its life only to look exactly the same after a few weeks. No polish can replace lacquer or paint despite what it says on the tin.

Detailing is only temporary, new paint is permanent. No need for the faux outrage.
    If the op's paint has been damaged it needs to be replaced, not ground and polished to within an inch of its life only to look exactly the same after a few weeks. No polish can replace lacquer or paint despite what it says on the tin.

That’s really not how it works. A repainted car is worth less too.

Oh dear lord jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He’s talking through his hat.

You’re right, just tested and the key needs to be less than a metre from the sensor in the boot. So doesn’t work when I’m the driving seat but does work if the keys in the boot, which obviously it wouldn’t be.

FYP

Let me ask then, how much did you pay for your 1 day proper detail? If it was any less for a full decontamination, machine polish and lap than €500 then it’s not a proper detail from a professional detailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Don’t think it works like that. Don’t you have to have the key fob on you?

Yes on my A6 the Car must be locked and you must have the key on you for the Boot to open by kicking underneath!

Unless he had the Car locked and the key in the Boot maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yes on my A6 the Car must be locked and you must have the key on you for the Boot to open by kicking underneath!

Don't think you can lock the boot with the key in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

If you brought the car with swirl marks into a paint shop they wouldn't go near repainting it. They would sand the whole roof out with 2000 grit and polish the clear coat afterwards.

Essentially the exact same as a detailer most likely would , except they would probably use different grades of polish as it's less abrasive than sand paper and if they go through the clear sanding it they can't repaint it like a paint shop can.

The only reason it would need to be repainted is if the clear coat has been penetrated which is unlikely.

You really don't have a clue what you are talking about tbh

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Let me ask then, how much did you pay for your 1 day proper detail? If it was any less for a full decontamination, machine polish and lap than €500 then it’s not a proper detail from a professional detailer.

Oh right, so the more the customer pays the more "professional" the detailer...

Op, don't let the garage fob you off with a visit to one of these snake oil merchants, get a proper body shop to fix your paintwork not just cover over the marks with ceramic this or diamond that, it's a con, simple as:mad:

Op, don't let the garage fob you off with a visit to one of these snake oil merchants, get a proper body shop to fix your paintwork not just cover over the marks with ceramic this or diamond that, it's a con, simple as:mad:

Thats funny because detailers fix a lot of awful polishing done by bodyshops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Truckermal wrote: »

It was Audi A6 that it affected. I didn't ask him how it happened as I don't have that option anyway.

AUDI20 wrote: »
    What a lot of people don't realise is that these drive in car washes even when working properly still does a lot of damage to the cars paint work.

No the newer ones are perfectly fine, these days you'd do more damage at home even with a very sot brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Don't do this they'll coat the car in colour filler polish and it'll look fantastic for about 3 days..

...if after 3 days you go back to an automatic car wash.

Detailing is temporary if you get your car detailed and then go back to automatic car washes or places that use a brush or using a brush yourself. You're reintroducing the damage that the detailer has polished out.

No, the more you pay the longer a detailer works on your car meaning a more in-depth job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭AUDI20

No the newer ones are perfectly fine, these days you'd do more damage at home even with a very sot brush.
    Totally disagree, you can bring your car to one so. I definitely won't be using one.
    I will be sticking to my 2 Bucket wash method at home which is the safest way of washing your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭mk7r

They are definitely not fine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ceramic coatings don’t cover swirls. Troll thread is that way —————->
    Just under that bridge over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not a chance they are ok ML.

mk7r wrote: »
    They are definitely not fine

They did a test and they were the best out of a bad bunch...
    The worst were the side street washes and use a shamois or blade to dry off.....

What’s wrong with using a silicone blade to dry a clean car off?

What’s wrong with using a silicone blade to dry a clean car off?

You're not guaranteed that there isn't some bit of crap waiting to be moved along the paint with a blade after a wash. Also it can itself causing marring on the paint.

Using a silicone blade to dry a car as akin to using a sponge to wash it.

Ah right. But I’m sure it’s ok for your average punter, and in a different league to using a brush wash.

I wouldn’t dream of using a sponge but at the same time I’ve never seen the blade leaving marks.

I got quoted €150 to machine polish my car (red Megane, estate). Was told I'd need to drop the car down at 8am and it'd be ready for 6pm.

Assuming they actually spent that much time working on it, it'd be €150 well spent. I can't see how it makes sense for them, though.

I'd say (completely guess work) what would happen is they'd wash it, give the bonnet a machine polish (largest panel and most noticeable) a quick 'buff over' elsewhere and lather some rapid detailer on it for when you come to collect it? Try to wrap it up in 3 or so hours?

This is as bad as "all dealerships are just out to rip you off". If you can't or won't maintain a ceramic coating in the proper manner then a ceramic coating isn't for you, if you neglect the proper method to clean your paintwork then your paint will be back to how it was and full of swirls,marring,scratches etc

• Advertisement

Ah right. But I’m sure it’s ok for your average punter, and in a different league to using a brush wash.

I wouldn’t dream of using a sponge but at the same time I’ve never seen the blade leaving marks.

I'm not saying that specific use of a blade is going to cause scratches. It's the 1 time in 10 where some crap settles on the car afterwards and the blade just drags it across the surface.

Drying towels have a deep nap into which stuff like this goes therefore reducing the chances of scratching. With a blade you're only increasing the chances.

It's not always going to happen but detailing is all about removing scratches and trying to get the chances of causing scratches down to zero....captain planet theme is playing in my head now :pac:

Advertisement