Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All year residential mobile home parks?

Options
  • 11-09-2020 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any mobile home parks in the greater dublin area that are open all year long that you can permanently live in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ning sudnaen

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any mobile home parks in the greater dublin area that are open all year long that you can permanently live in?

i believe no but you can become a gypsie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would be surprised if such a thing would get planning permission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Normally speaking id say no. You cannot get planning.
    But in saying that I’ve heard of stories of sites that are year round on these forums up around Louth, skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't know your area but certainly these exist in eg Kerry. I used to drive past one every week. And Donegal ..Google year round sites etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »

If you use a capital G to denote actual nationality yes. But lower case which describes a chosen life style? No! Saying eg you are a gypsy at heart is perfectly fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I've always thought that was crazy. If you own a mobile home ,you are not allowed to stay in it or visit it during the winter. I love the seaside in winter. It's a crazy rule. Especially if you own it.

I've always thought that was crazy. If you own a mobile home ,you are not allowed to stay in it or visit it during the winter. I love the seaside in winter. It's a crazy rule. Especially if you own it.

Is that true? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why not visit them and ask.

There may be a grey area whereby you have to vacate for a week here and there in order to comply with any regulations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They are mobile home parks near us that are quiet and open all year to my knowledge.You can park up a camper van in them too.
    It could be a case of just moving out for a week here and there to make it legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the vast majority of mobile homes in Ireland are unsuitable for living in during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is that true? Why?

Well I think the reason is owners of mobile home sites just shut shop during the winter and one of the rules is no access. Besides that you'd have no electricity no running water etc.so no reason to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

There used to be one in swords behind an old cottage, just checked with satellite view seems to be gone only 1 mobile left. Mate told me people used to actually live all year round here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4614014,-6.2275099,60m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

There used to be one in swords behind an old cottage, just checked with satellite view seems to be gone only 1 mobile left. Mate told me people used to actually live all year round here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4614014,-6.2275099,60m/data=!3m1!1e3

That one is gone I thought, I think there is one in Donabate though where people live year round....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,777 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I believe they're called "halting sites".

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

salmocab wrote: »
    I would be surprised if such a thing would get planning permission.

I don't know why permanent residential 'trailer parks' are so popular in North America but nowhere else

Yeah it's just typical of ireland isnt it. They are very popular in America as they are a very affordable form of accommodation especially for minimalists etc.

Victor wrote: »
    Note that the vast majority of mobile homes in Ireland are unsuitable for living in during winter.

Yeah they might not be ideal but you could make it work

I don't know why permanent residential 'trailer parks' are so popular in North America but nowhere else

I allways wondered that too. Albeit it a bit cold in the winter, If need be i wouldnt mind living in one given the option of it or a bedsit !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

If you use a capital G to denote actual nationality yes. But lower case which describes a chosen life style? No! Saying eg you are a gypsy at heart is perfectly fine...

So can I become a traveller then?

• Advertisement

I believe they're called "halting sites".

That's a bit unfair. Just because in ireland and England they're quite popular among travellers doesn't mean they shouldn't be used for long term residential accommodation like in america.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Why not visit them and ask.

There may be a grey area whereby you have to vacate for a week here and there in order to comply with any regulations

Ah I would love to, but am housebound, cocooning etc. And a much wider source of information here...
    Looking, they have them in NI and the UK. and in Europe.

I allways wondered that too. Albeit it a bit cold in the winter, If need be i wouldnt mind living in one given the option of it or a bedsit !

I would prefer to live in one than the studio I'm in now with the noisy plumbing and neighbours banging around upstairs. I don't mind the cold so much and I could have a little garden and parking space.

Victor wrote: »

In what way , please? Our winters are not severe.

Ah I would love to, but am housebound, cocooning etc. And a much wider source of information here...
    Looking, they have them in NI and the UK. and in Europe.

They should be in ireland then aswell but it's too much of a nanny state

They should be in ireland then aswell but it's too much of a nanny state

And we have a housing shortage? Sigh.

There was a thread here a while ago, a man who was living in his van? Moving it between a few different places every night. Often wondered how he got on.

And we have a housing shortage? Sigh.

There was a thread here a while ago, a man who was living in his van? Moving it between a few different places every night. Often wondered how he got on.

Yeah it would help the housing crisis if this was the become a thing. Very affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,777 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's a bit unfair. Just because in ireland and England they're quite popular among travellers doesn't mean they shouldn't be used for long term residential accommodation like in america.

One tradesman I know had this Czech guy helping him, not long in the country and passing this halting site, Czech guy looks at it and says "your holiday villages are very dirty!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In what way , please? Our winters are not severe.

Have you ever spent time in one?

We have one in Kerry that we use in the summer and by late August they get very cold. Same when you go down in May.

The park we're in shut down in September and reopen end of April and owner turns off services. It's sensible to do so, we'd just be paying higher fees for them if it was open year round and very few would have any interest in going down to them.

• Advertisement

Wonder what would happen if you arrived at a halting site with a caravan and casually parked up in a free spot. I guess in theory you would be allowed or would you have to give some sort of evidence you were a genuine traveller?

Advertisement