Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do people still go to gaelic football games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Bambi wrote: »
    as for the "handpass" that players get away with now in hurling, its turning into rugby with sticks, you might as well ban the forward handpass and be done with it.

Is there really an argument that throwing a ball is any less skillful than hand passing the ball legitimately? Not much Id say, get rid of it altogether or limit it to one for both codes.

There’s not a thing wrong with football. The OP was completely incorrect about it anyway, either that or they woke up the other day and it was 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Is there really an argument that throwing a ball is any less skillful than hand passing the ball legitimately? Not much Id say, get rid of it altogether or limit it to one for both codes.

handpass was made to be more difficult and less effective than throwing the sliotar because no one wants to see it been flung around

The idea that if you recieve a handpass then you cannot handpass yourself is a good one, would encourage even more dragging and pulling though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There’s not a thing wrong with football. The OP was completely incorrect about it anyway, either that or they woke up the other day and it was 2016.

This sums it up.

pgj2015 wrote: »

It really doesn’t though.

• Advertisement

it does, its rubbish now. apart from dublin, mayo and kerry, you couldnt pay me to go watch a match.

That’s fine, don’t go or don’t watch then. It certainly isn’t as portrayed in that “comedy” video above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

This sh1t comes up all the time and Dublin seem to be exempt from criticism. Nobody is better at getting men behind the ball than Dublin. Nobody.

Their attacking play as a unit is what sets them apart. And the home advantage.

doc_17 wrote: »
    This sh1t comes up all the time and Dublin seem to be exempt from criticism. Nobody is better at getting men behind the ball than Dublin. Nobody.

Their attacking play as a unit is what sets them apart. And the home advantage.

Dublin don't need to have everyone behind the ball, they do it the odd time but most of the time they play great football to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

In general, football is higher scoring than ever at the moment. Even at club level in Mayo this year, teams are putting up 17 or 18 scores regularly in a 60 minute game.

It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day. I've very little interest in hurling. The all Ireland semi-finals and final is all I watch usually in hurling but any televised league or championship football game I'd always watch.

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    In general, football is higher scoring than ever at the moment. Even at club level in Mayo this year, teams are putting up 17 or 18 scores regularly in a 60 minute game.

It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day. I've very little interest in hurling. The all Ireland semi-finals and final is all I watch usually in hurling but any televised league or championship football game I'd always watch.

Exactly. It’s like they’ve just seen the Pat Spillane puke clip, mistakenly thought it was today, and ran with it. Seriously out of touch with current football.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Gael85 wrote: »
    This is the root of the problem-blanket defences. People complaining about teams closing games playing keep ball. Why doesn't opposition press instead? Nothing worse seeing a team losing with 15 bodies behind the ball and making no effort to get ball back. The blanket defence was executed perfectly by Tyrone and brought to the next level by Donegal. What is overlooked is both teams teams had brilliant inside forwards. Now you see bluffers at county and club level copying and pasting same game plan when don't have the quality of player to carry out the task.

Tyrone’s team of the 2000’s I feel get unfair criticism mainly because of what Spillane said and he has even back tracked on what he said about the puke football. They put pressure on teams higher up the field and if teams were slow with their build up or slow in possession there would be three or four Tyrone players around swarming the man in possession.

They had some brilliant forwards in the likes of Dooher, McGuigan, Cavanagh could switch from midfield into the forwards, O’Neill, Canavan Mulligan, then they had the likes of Ryan Mellon who could do a decent job in the half forward. That’s one of the best forward lines man for man and in terms of balance that has ever been in the GAA and was one of the main reasons why they won their All Ireland’s.

As well as this they had some brilliant man marking defenders in the likes of Gormley and Joe and Justin McMahon as well as the bould Ricey. One thing their defenders also liked to do was attack and could score and put the forward on the back foot by forcing the forward up the field to track them.

As for this thread I think football is evolving and turning back around to a more attacking game it’s is very possession based but that doesn’t make it boring in my opinion. Anyway I enjoy Football and enjoy lots of sports and I think this sport bashing is kinda sad saying oh why do people still attend football games, the reality is that people are dying to see a football game with no one allowed into game. My club were playing in the county semi final today and I would have paid €100 to go in and watch the game live in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Topic brought up after 2 years of top class games and players.

And right in the middle of a remarkable club season.

Ain't no pleasing some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Donegal's 1-13-1 formation in 2011 against Dublin was the biggest threat to football in the last 20 years, you do get an odd horror of a game like all sports but i think its improved a bit in recent years as teams realised that conservative approach only gets you so far and why in my opinion Tyrone won't win an all ireland once Harte is the manager. Personal choice but amazes me how some people find football more entertaining than hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Donegal's 1-13-1 formation in 2011 against Dublin was the biggest threat to football in the last 20 years, you do get an odd horror of a game like all sports but i think its improved a bit in recent years as teams realised that conservative approach only gets you so far and why in my opinion Tyrone won't win an all ireland once Harte is the manager. Personal choice but amazes me how some people find football more entertaining than hurling.

Jesus, i couldnt watch hurling. Its just alien to us around these parts. If you have played football yet never held a hurl, its easy to see how football could be favoured

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mickdw wrote: »
    Jesus, i couldnt watch hurling. Its just alien to us around these parts. If you have played football yet never held a hurl, its easy to see how football could be favoured

saying that Hurling is still played in so called Football counties. Cavan recently started back fielding a senior hurling team and Tyrone and Donegal have appeared in a few third tier finals (Nicky Rackard Cup). A lot of Ulster teams in Divs 2 and 3 of the NHL. I doubt there's that many who attend the NHL games from Ulster/footballing counties

PTH2009 wrote: »
    saying that Hurling is still played in so called Football counties. Cavan recently started back fielding a senior hurling team and Tyrone and Donegal have appeared in a few third tier finals (Nicky Rackard Cup). A lot of Ulster teams in Divs 2 and 3 of the NHL. I doubt there's that many who attend the NHL games from Ulster/footballing counties
    Arguably the glens of antrim is the most passionate hurling area on the island

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Arguably the glens of antrim is the most passionate hurling area on the island

yeah the hurling club championships in Antrim always seem really competitive and they really put it up to other clubs around the country. Outside of Antrim a few hurling clubs from Down and Derry have done well in the Prov/All Ireland championships

Dunloy Beat a good Mount Sion team in 2003, Cushendall often had the beating of Leinster/Munster champions and very unlucky not to get over the line. Loughgiel Shamrocks won the AI senior club in 2012

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah the hurling club championships in Antrim always seem really competitive and they really put it up to other clubs around the country. Outside of Antrim a few hurling clubs from Down and Derry have done well in the Prov/All Ireland championships

Dunloy Beat a good Mount Sion team in 2003, Cushendall often had the beating of Leinster/Munster champions and very unlucky not to get over the line. Loughgiel Shamrocks won the AI senior club in 2012
    On Derry, Slaughtneil gave ballyhale they're fill of it last January in All Ireland Semi Final

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

To be fair, if he's resorting to a Rorys Stories video as evidence, it's a pretty tenuous argument!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

it does, its rubbish now. apart from dublin, mayo and kerry, you couldnt pay me to go watch a match.

It’s not all about inter county. There is a vibrant club scene. Get out and watch that.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It’s not all about inter county. There is a vibrant club scene. Get out and watch that.

In fairness nobody can get out and watch anything at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

mickdw wrote: »

Was actually just going to post something similar myself, and I'm coming at it as a hurling man, with very little interest in football.

If somebody has grown up surrounded by football and never had much contact with hurling at all, it's easy to understand why they'll always prefer football.

No matter how much better a game hurling is... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Why? the atmosphere and emotion of being there. Wanting to support your team. Football nowadays no where near as bad as some are making out and plenty of county teams that play good to decent football than just Dublin,Kerry and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Tyrone’s team of the 2000’s I feel get unfair criticism mainly because of what Spillane said and he has even back tracked on what he said about the puke football. They put pressure on teams higher up the field and if teams were slow with their build up or slow in possession there would be three or four Tyrone players around swarming the man in possession.

They had some brilliant forwards in the likes of Dooher, McGuigan, Cavanagh could switch from midfield into the forwards, O’Neill, Canavan Mulligan, then they had the likes of Ryan Mellon who could do a decent job in the half forward. That’s one of the best forward lines man for man and in terms of balance that has ever been in the GAA and was one of the main reasons why they won their All Ireland’s.

As well as this they had some brilliant man marking defenders in the likes of Gormley and Joe and Justin McMahon as well as the bould Ricey. One thing their defenders also liked to do was attack and could score and put the forward on the back foot by forcing the forward up the field to track them.

As for this thread I think football is evolving and turning back around to a more attacking game it’s is very possession based but that doesn’t make it boring in my opinion. Anyway I enjoy Football and enjoy lots of sports and I think this sport bashing is kinda sad saying oh why do people still attend football games, the reality is that people are dying to see a football game with no one allowed into game. My club were playing in the county semi final today and I would have paid €100 to go in and watch the game live in person.

Excellent post.

Good to see some people actually think before they type, rather than spout the usual braindead pubtalk drivel that's just wearing so thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

megadodge wrote: »
    Excellent post.

Good to see some people actually think before they type, rather than spout the usual braindead pubtalk drivel that's just wearing so thin.

Like I said I can’t understand the negativity around Football I think Football is definitely more attacking and teams are trying to play more positive football. If people looked at results in the Club Championships in recent weeks there have been a lot of competitive high scoring games at club level in several counties, so how could anyone start a thread like this.

Also like I said I like and watch plenty of sport. I’m not a big cricket or golf fan, don’t find them that interesting to watch but I can appreciate the high level of skill that is required to play both sports and I would certainly not go on a golf or cricket forum and start a thread like that was started on football as it’s my own personal opinion and my own personal taste and I would know that several people enjoy watching and attend both cricket and golf. So there’s my little rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

In fairness nobody can get out and watch anything at the minute.

If a game is in a public park you can. But I get what you mean.

shockframe wrote: »
    Topic brought up after 2 years of top class games and players.

And right in the middle of a remarkable club season.

Ain't no pleasing some

I honestly don't know how anyone could watch any of the northern teams play each other and say they are top class games.

from what I have seen the scores only come in the second half when both teams are wrecked from the constant running up and down the field in packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

I honestly don't know how anyone could watch any of the northern teams play each other and say they are top class games.

Like the enthralling Tyrone club championship over the last month or so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement