Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Oooh ok. So we're back to conspiracy theories being complete and utter makey uppey fantasy then.

Cool.

All of your theories are complete fiction and are basically indistingushable from the ones about nazi-commies and satanists.

Do you agree then?

And no, you did not answer my questions. You replyed with vagueries and then refused to supply anything with any depth.

Your theory is that they are going to make masks permanent to "Test compliance" or "Create compliance". You can't explain what either of these actually mean in a practical sense other than they sound smart and sinister. You cannot explain why they want to do either.

And on top of that, you claimed that the NPHET is doing this by themselves with no one else involved, which debunks the theory in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how did we end up back with the ID2020 nonsense? Has that not been done to death already?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

I agree, but that's not what's happening, posters are being bombarded anytime something gets posted. This specific forum is a conspiracy theory forum, who cares if people state things as facts here? Of all the places on the internet to expect factual discussions, this is the last place to come. Surely you get that? If you go to conspiracy theory forums you are going to come across flat earthers, and 9/11 truthers, etc. People who believe in those conspiracies will likely state them as facts, because they believe them.

Questions like "why do you believe that" and "could you explain your conspiracy theory more?"

How horrible...

• Advertisement

I'm not lying, I'm theorizing, on a theory forum....see how that works? What was the lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Crying in a feedback thread and trying to get the forum closed because you were being asked for proof

Am I doing this right? 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We had people storming Congress in the US because of "silly conspiracy theories", people burning down 5G masts, measles making a comeback due to anti-vaxxers, people harassing relatives of victims of terrorist attacks, dangerous medical disinformation

The whole "they are just silly harmless conspiracy theories" thing isn't really a defense. Most of these things are outright lies.

So I fully agree that posters can post whatever conspiracies here, but it also stands to reason that people can question these views. It's a public discussion forum after all.

It is a discussion forum, but what's happening here is badgering to shut down any potential discussion, not discussing conspiracy theories. Here's an example of the conversation from today. I don't think what I suggested was particularly outrageous, certainly not dangerous in any way but I've been badgered to the point that I can't be bothered discussing it anymore. I've been asked the same question repeatedly, as usual, by one individual, who either doesn't read or doesn't understand the responses to his questions. And they have refused to counter with any sort of intelligent counter argument themselves.

It doesn't provide any benefit to the people in the nightclub, and no direct benefit to anybody outside the nightclub either, so maybe it's just about control, to keep people accustomed to compliance.

“You've vaguely stated that you believe masks (and other measures are permanent.)

You ahven't explained why.”

One theory for why they would do that is because the more somebody is complying with you, the more likely they are to continue to comply, with future commands, like the low ball technique in phycology. Maybe they have a legitimate reason for that, maybe it's even Covid related, for example they want to keep people complying with Covid measures however arbitrary so that the compliance will still be there if more lockdowns are required

How does making people wear masks "test compliance?"

Why do they want to "test compliance"?

Who are "they"?

They are the government and NPHET. …..Removing restrictions might create an inertia in re-implementing them, so maybe they don't want things going back to normally fully any time soon

The questions are:

Who are "They"?

How do masks "Test compliance?"

Why do they want to test compliance.

You ahve not answered these questions.

But you aren't putting forward any kind of coherent alternative theory.

So far it's just "Masks will be permanent because... I dunno control or something." And then you whinge and dodge when anyone tries to probe any deeper into that theory.

Assuming they are based on some sort of logics, I theorized maybe:

"Removing restrictions might create an inertia in re-implementing them, so maybe they don't want things going back to normally fully any time soon"

"Maybe they have a legitimate reason for that, maybe it's even Covid related, for example they want to keep people complying with Covid measures however arbitrary so that the compliance will still be there if more lockdowns are required"

You have also not actually answered the questions I asked you.

Try again:

Who are "they"?

How do masks "Test compliance"?

Why do they want to test compliance?

NPHET, I assume, whoever made the rule

They don't test compliance, they create it, similar to the low ball technique I already mentioned.

They want to create compliance, possibly for the reasons I again, already mentioned.

Again, just theories, I don't know. And I didn't say it's a conspiracy, you did.

You made the claim, you need to support it before it is accepted.

You canoot support your claim, then no one has to accept it as true and it would be dishonest of you to continue as if it's true.

I have to repeat questions because folks like yourself continously dodge them when you cannot answer them honestly.

You have ignored my previous questions. I will assume that this is your admission that you cannot answer them

Predicting that we're going to get the whole "Conspiracy theories are special delicate things that need to be protected from meanies in a safe space" spiel again.

The sound after that, the claim that conspiracy theories are serious business equally as valuable as the real version of events.

Until we start asking for details and support, then it will be back to this notion that conspiracy theories are just a fun creative writing hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Take cover everyone. Another conspiracy is throwing the toys out of the pram. It’s becoming a daily occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

This week... Its my football and I'm going home.

Next week...there is no football you stupid sheep wake up it's a secret something something evil something something great reset

The questions highlight how weak the theory is. As mentioned you've added it's just your opinion and so on, that's fair enough.

There are indeed conspiracy forums online that might be what you want, places where, in theory, like-minded individuals can go and validate each other's conspiracy ideas. The problem and reality is those places often become hotbeds of anti-Semitic and white-supremacy theories, anti-science quackery, history denial, medical disinfo and so on.

Also, there is a serious pandemic going on, I know people who have died, it's a bit strange that some people want to make up "fun conspiracies" about it on public forums. Some of this stuff sprouts wings as we've seen.

I actually said I consider someone who doesn't take onboard countless pieces of info which are contrary to their belief, and they will argue against it, mongos.... (paraphrased, but if you want to get the direct quote you can dig it up)...

I stand by that, and if you want to lump conspiracy theorists in with that, work away, that's your words not mine.

And all of that is a great demonstration of how you didn't answer any of the questions I asked in any detail.

First I will remind you that it's taken over 260 pages to get any kind of responses to the central questions of this thread: Which measures and why.

Secondly, your post highlights how your answers don't actually explain anything.

You claim flatly that the NPHET are behind the conspiracy you're proposing but give no details of who and how they are involved.

You claim flatly that masks test, gauge or create compliance but don't explain how. You just make an assertion that if people wear masks they'll follow other measures without question.

And of course you've not at all answered the question about why they would do any of this at all in the first place.

Thirdly, you falsely claim that I did not explain why your theory is wrong.

However I did.

I explained how that if only the NPHET is involved it is not possible for them to pull of a conspiracy like this. I explained how doctors would call them out. That politicians wouldn't go along with their plan, how other organizations in other countries wouldn't be implementing similar measures.

All of which you of course ignored.

Now, if you're deciding that your nonanswers for the other questions are adequate, I will explain how they also fail.

If they are arbitrarily making masks mandatory for no reason other than to "generate" compliance, then it is a false theory.

People don't follow mask requirements because the government randomly says so. Most people understand that masks help reduce covid cases. Even if there was no mask requirements people would still wear masks because of common sense.

I vaguely remember you agreeing that masks work and rejecting the claims of other conspiracy theorists that they don't. But I'm not sure. You guys are not very direct and open about what you believe. So feel free to correct me.

Additionally, if NPHET were doing this, it runs a risk of being exposed. If untrained folks like yourself can figure out their plan, other people would as well. Therefore they would know that the mask mandates are false and unnecessary, then wouldn't follow them and would be less likely to follow other mandates later because of a lack of trust.

This also applies to the vague and silly reason you gave that they want people to keep complying in cause they need more restrictions later. So doing so does not "generate compliance" and it does not "maintain compliance". It would do the opposite of what you claim their reasons are.

Nor would they need to maintain compliance at all. You are just asserting they need to do that for no other reason than to dream up a post hoc explanation for your conspiracy idea. If they needed to reintroduce measures, they would just do so. (Again I assume that you don't buy into the conspiracy theories that further lockdowns and restrictions will be based on false pretenses.) People would follow these measures because they would again see common sense and do things to reduce the spread of covid.

Again, I have to assume some stuff here. But this can't be helped because you won't elaborate on your answers. As I stated I don't think you can elaborate on your answers as they are just that shallow and surface level. You don't want to admit this because you understand that the arguments above show why your theory is false.

So now, rather than just keep focused on simple questions, you're whinging, claiming persecution and declaring that your conspiracy theory is all just made up fantasy anyway.

Fine. I agree. Your theory is complete nonsense and in the same lump as the ideas that it's a communist plot or that it was predicted in the bible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can claim the earth is flat, but expect people to ask you to explain how GPS works then.

And if you claim George Soros flattened the earth then it's perfectly reasonable to be asked why he would want to do such a thing.

Even if you were just writing a fiction story you'd be expected to explain your flat earth theory and how it works and what order the elephants and turtles are standing on each others backs.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cVGyE25UZC2xM7wu6

Post edited by robinph on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You love to call people childish names Yet you haven't the courage to stay on one account for very long, so much for wanting a discussion.

1. Create an account.

2. Use silly childish names and make idiotic claims.

3. Get caught out telling lies.

4. Close account in a huff.

5. Re reg under new name, use same silly childish name calling tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Wow, so much wrongness to unpack there, but seeing as doing so would be as effective as bullets against superman given the capacity for rational argument that you've displayed so far, I'll just let a certain Mr Chigurh, sum it up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Other than adding to the list of terms that are clearly not understood by conspiracy theorists in here, you seem to be upset that your not getting the opportunity to explain any of the conspiracy theory's and the how and why of them. Nobody is asking for hard evidence. Just some kind of reasoning behind the theories.

Why did George Soros make the earth flat? Why have NASA faked space flight? Why have masks been made a way of controlling a population? Why put metal in vaccines? Why any of it?

A conspiracy by a government minister to give contracts to his mates for a bit of extra cash makes sense. A conspiracy by Bill Gates to reduce the population of the world by 90% doesn't.

The World spinning around on a disc supported by elephants on the back of a turtle is daft, but it has at least been explained. Likewise a world of wizards travelling to school on an old steam train from King's Cross Station is clearly daft, but someone has put some thought into the background of the story.

All we get from conspiracy theorists is vague nonsense, with zero thought put into it, no logic and nothing that would be considered a story with a sound enough basis for even the simplest of children's books.

• Advertisement

What is "Woke claptrap"?

Is there a particular conspiracy related to Covid measures, if so, what is it?

This is an awful lot of nonsense. Again we're running into the idea that asking for evidence or support of ideas is "leftwing" and bad. And the idea that conspiracy theories are just makey uppy.

Your points though don't really match up with reality here. Conspiracy theorists here make claims of fact all the time. The claim to have evidence for their claims all the time. A prime example of this is a few pages ago when CQD falsely claimed to have a study that showed that masks don't work. (As per usual, the study didn't actually say that of course.)

Even still, when a conspiracy theorist is asked for evidence, they could just say "I don't have any evidence, but I believe X because...." But I think that most conspiracy theorists are reluctant to say this as the answer is usually some variant of "I believe this because i saw it on someone's twitter/bitchute/parler etc and because it aligned with my worldview, I accepted it as true and didn't bother to question it with any depth."

And even still, conspiracy theorists often aren't being asked to explain what they believe. To explain why they believe it. To explain how they reached this belief and how the solve some of the obvious contradictions and problems with the theory. But instead, conspiracy theorists choose to whinge, lie insult and storm of in huffs and then play victim.

I'm very curious how you believe conspiracy theorists learn how the world works by claiming false things, spreading misinformation and believing ridiculous contradictory things.

I don't see how this could possibly lead someone to better understanding of anything.

Another one that was dismissed as a conspiracy theory: https://mobile.twitter.com/EcommunistForum/status/1450242236776517636

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Another Twitter dump for an unrelated conspiracy theory. Do you guys ever stop trying to deflect? Is it your default coping strategy when you have no other fallback?

Could you add 'just two weeks to flatten the curve' to your list?

What is the conspiracy? by who, to do what and how is it related to this thread?

If you can't answer, then at least explain why you regurgitate this random stuff from social media without any thought

For the 100th time, the situation was and is fluid, we are simply reacting to it. We thought masks might not have worked against the virus, turns out they do. We thought that cases could be brought under control in a few weeks, we thought that the first lockdown would be the only one, etc.

Why are you sifting through the past trying to highlight errors we already know? Conspiracy theorists only do that for one reason, to pretend there's a "glitch" in a narrative they can never explain.

Are you claiming that there was some ulterior motivation behind that line initially, or do you need us to explain the time period of two weeks for you?

I'm curious why the Shadowy They said "two weeks" in the first place given that conspiracy theorists are using that as evidence of a conspiracy.

Surely they knew it was going to last more than two weeks and that claiming that it would only be two weeks would be very embarassing never mind giving the game away.

I wonder how conspiracy theorists rationalise this. But experience tells me they just ignore it and pretend that problem doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

How about "All covid measures are going to be permanent"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement