Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annacotty - a deathtrap

Options
  • 10-09-2020 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

A chairde,
    I'm a 19 year old, learning to drive, who just got a job in Annacotty industrial estate in Limerick.
    I'm concerned how the road from the estate to Annacotty village is absolutely treacherous, without any footpaths - one week working and I've already witnessed a car crash - which I narrowly missed being part of as a walker.
    In terms of getting in and out, the nearest regular bus is Castletroy - 4 kilometres away.
    There's also a train crossing right beside the industrial estate - I'd love to see a future where there's a train stop here, but I understand that's far in the future.
    Would it be possible to see a footpath built, or a bus service set up? There are hundreds of people working here, and I see car after car with 1 person inside every day. The traffic volume is huge.
    I'm new to Limerick, and not sure where I should lobby for this - maybe someone can help me out?
    - Micheál

- edit - I'm new to this forum, and tried to publish it in the Limerick section. Seems I went national. Might as well keep it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,723 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd suggest your local council or TD would be your best bet. However, public transport outside the main cities is spotty all over the place because the cost of providing it doesn't make sense in a situation where work/leisure/education locations may be spread out across a wide area

Even in Dublin it can take 2 hours and several changes to get to places that would be 30 mins by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The nearest bus service is Dublin Coch route 308 at Annacotty village, closer than Castletroy but still a walk on unpaved roads.

https://www.dublincoach.ie/downloads/DublinCoach-307-308-services.pdf

This is a long standang independently operated route that Dublin Coach too over some years ago. With the way bus routes are licenced in Ireland there is little to no chance of Bus Eireann/NTA encroaching into their commercial territory so your only hope is DC wishing to expand the route to serve the industrial estate which is not very likely.

The railway that passes close by is on the Limerick-Ballybrophy line which runs a skeleton service and with the cost of building new stations being in the €millions there is even less chance of that happening here.

Out of town industrial parks are notoriusly difficult to serve with useful public transport. The people working in them come from so many different suburbs a single bus route will not be convenient for the vast majority so even when provided they rarely generate any significant patronage..

Advertisement