Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the gap between two wooden floor types

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd just be afraid that it will look like a patch-job, that's all.

Is the s/s strip on offer beveled/turned in at the edges and how is it finished and how is it fixed? Is it peaked slightly in the center too?

The strip ideally should be almost perfectly straight and preferably not follow the contours of the floor, otherwise it will reflect light and appear shoddy. The addition of a bevel on the two long edges will help to support it, but you'll still need to think about how you'll adhere and support the strip without adding height. A thick adhesive or epoxy which sets solid might do that best as adding shims are just likely to create impressions on the surface over time.

Oh and you should also try measure the height variation over the width of the floor at the very edge of this strip using a laser and ruler. If the variation is minimal (such as less than 5mm), I'd guess it will be fine - if you're happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

I believe it's slightly beveled on the edges but I got the impression that this wasn't something the person in question was used to making so I think maybe it wouldn't be up to the standards I'd hoped for. Also definitely not peaked in the middle, completely flat. In terms of finish they offered powder coating for a few quid more, but I feel that given this is on the floor it'll scrape and look bad within days if it's powdered. In terms of adhering it I was thinking of asking for a few screw holes to be drilled into it and I'd screw it like the current saddle board was screwed.

Let me ask a different question - if this was your floor and if you wanted to avoid saying 'rip it all up and lay a single board type' what would you think might work and look ok?

The current solution is fine except for the size of the saddle board, it keeps tripping people up and looks huge on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah, that's a fair question! Good turnaround on that. 😀

I'd look into getting custom hard-wood strip (rebated reducer) made-up, but first I would clean-up and widen that gap by cutting the ends of the boards on the left of the photo using a circular saw. If you then had a 6cm gap (with ~1cm for expansion) then fit a hard-wood strip of 8cm wide (with 1.5cm each side as an overlap). The depth of the overlap would need to be checked out as I get the impression that the flooring on the left is higher than on the right. If the overlap is too long then the strength of the wood will be lost at the edge and it will sustain damage. Also the base of the reducer strip should be shallow to allow you to adjust the height of the strip along the length (such as 5mm short of the natural floor height).

So in effect it would be this, but sized to suit your void.

I'd then screw that down to the joists/sub-floor below, pulling the flooring tight and hopefully closing most gaps. Then finish off with a good sanding and reapplication of floor varnish.

There - I made it sound simple!

Advertisement