Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor quality work

Options
  • 07-09-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any thoughts on what to do?
    I got an extension done by a builder. His subbie electrician was always holding everything back. Never there when he needed to be.

Now the job is done. Parts of the original house were reconfigured. Now I’m finding random unterminated live wires in several places. A Live feed an old two way switches with live strappers heading off to no fitting. New Cables behind skim. After-thought cables running behind skirting. Joins under attic floor with no boxes. Raging as everything else done very well.

Whats the best thing to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭leroypatches

Would love some thoughts from other electricians

Invite the contractor back to inspect the work and ask if they'd like to address it before you have it independantly audited and assessed by safe electric.

To be honest I'm what's known as a cowboy in the industry and I fix RECI/professional fitter/auto-sparks work so often I take it as par for the course it's actually my business model. I don't raise issue over when things are incorrectly or poorly implemented other than informing the client. Unterminated live wires?....I'd take them to task.

I'm just finishing a barge. It's now got 4 times the power output from my installing all the equipemnt that was previously mounted to the vessel in a more effective manner. My rates are lower than the last guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

By the sounds of it the he won't be easy to get back. Was he a member of RECI?

That may not be that unfortunate.

Here I've a 1994 camper. A tyre fitter ruined 2 of my rims 2 years ago with an impact gun. The only discontinued from manufacture replacements I can source are €300 each. I can just put the old ones on but then I need a tractor impact to take them off..which is easy peasy get on the side of a road but what happens when i break a wheel stud?

Who should I call to remedy the situation for me?

Unterminated live wires?....I'd take them to task.

To clarify: If they are live wires as opposed to inert brown insulated copper strands.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    By the sounds of it the he won't be easy to get back. Was he a member of RECI?

He is. And is coming back. Just trying to see how best to handle it.

To clarify: If they are live wires as opposed to inert brown insulated copper strands.

Yes. Live unfortunately. But left from where demolition occured. Not
    being used but not terminated or disconnected from the board.

I now bring rims to tyre fitters instead of vehicles. I just keep getting into arguments the other way around. They prefer it when I don't watch.

ffs

Ah...new sparks please! One with a sense of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

At least show him the issues you have. For peace of mind might be worth getting another Electrician to have a look over the work if possible.

Sir Liamalot, did he use a pneumatic jack hammer to remove the studs thats bad two wheels? I take it its the studs you are looking for not the wheels��

• Advertisement

I left the country before I realised what the [#cen$ored*] had done. I tried 3 garages before I found one who could remove the rims. It takes a double handed impact. The rims are dished the studs are stretched. New rims €300 each, 10 new studs €10 each, tyre mounting to new rims €30. €900 for two tyres changed.

I had my car done (another fitter) and had to request they use a torque wrench and they said they didn't have one.

There's no good outcome for the situation LP is bringing to the table other than get the lumox to pay an expert to fix the issue. I wouldn't trust the original sparks to do it right regardless, given the described track record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What method was used to test this?

To be honest I'm what's known as a cowboy in the industry and I fix RECI/professional fitter/auto-sparks work so often I take it as par for the course it's actually my business model.

It's astonishing what's out there alright. Endless jobs fixing others incredible bad attempts at electrical work. Always seemed as if doing it right would have been easier than what's often seen.

Being bad is one thing..quite normal...for me to find. Weaponising installations is another.

There's only a handful of people on this planet can wire a liveaboard. I see €60k factory conversions charging at 200W with a designed opertional load of 150W and all wired on 2.5mm² battery cable with a 25W parasitic load. "Go-anywhere" vehicles on their knees 3 hours after leaving a campsite 16A replacing batteries every 2 years.

Meanwhile I'm delivering systems that charge at 3.5kW which is apparently impossible with lead acid and yet I can. Tinternet if rife with old wives tales passed about as industry truths and manufacturers that bald faced lie about their products' performance. Bandwagons of advocates who not only don't measure anything but also don't have a meter.

If you want life without a trailing lead there's not many places to go. My current clients are running an electric kettle and induction hobs from a lead battery with an engine producing 250A with an untapped 1.5kW overhead and four domestic solar panels that are half the price for double the output as the 12Volt variety most turn their nose up at because they are too big and don't say 12V.

It's a rarity I will elect to work downstream of another installers enterprising. Usually it's throw it overboard, keep the cable and start over.

If a client hasn't a clue what they're buying, and an installer has only half a clue what they are doing then the litmus becomes personality and punctuality. Spare me. I fit meters.

Bruthal wrote: »
    What method was used to test this?

Phase tester

Don't be the circuit waterbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Phase tester

More like plug and play imho.

Cerco wrote: »
    More like plug and play imho.

Don’t get ya?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Phase tester

This is type of device is not a reliable way to determine whether a cable is live or not. They can illuminate when mains voltage is not present. A small induced (acceptable and safe voltage) is often enough to make these "phase testers" light up. Worse still they may not illuminate when a conductor is live.

A proper test instrument is required.

I Put multimeter on them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    This is type of device is not a reliable way to determine whether a cable is live or not. They can illuminate when mains voltage is not present. A small induced (acceptable and safe voltage) is often enough to make these "phase testers" light up. Worse still they may not illuminate when a conductor is live.

A proper test instrument is required.
    Also a phase tester uses you as part of the circuit, so can fail in spectacularly dangerous ways.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Also a phase tester uses you as part of the circuit, so can fail in spectacularly dangerous ways.

The current can be perceived if the user is in contact with something such as earthed pipework as well.

Risteard81 wrote: »

Making the user a rather over-sophisticated fuse.

All very good points.

Any other advice or thoughts on the original post from any electricians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

All very good points.

Any other advice or thoughts on the original post from any electricians?

You got the best advise imo already. Document the issues by listing and photographing them. Ask the sparks too review and let them know you’ll be asking Safe Electric to come and take a look at when he’s done as if those issues are easily identifiable from a non spark, it’s quite possible there could be more.

Did you receive any paper work for the installation from the spark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Get a cert out of him and a copy of the test record s

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm actually shocked at what passes these days, I done 4 years and failed one exam out of 4. Commendation in others and the recession hit, I'd be able to do the job right and better then many I've seen with the papers.

Unfortunate for me with timing to be honest.

As advised, write down all the issues found and get him to sort.

If he doesn't has the builder been fully paid yet? If not and getting nowhere use this to get it rectified and pay when everything is done correctly.

and get him to sort.

You obviously have more faith in human nature than I do. How's that saying about doing the same thing and expecting different results go again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

You obviously have more faith in human nature than I do. How's that saying about doing the same thing and expecting different results go again?

Threaten him with reci, he'll make good if he's registered. Has he been paid in full yet?

• Advertisement

Make good on the bits that are flagged you mean? What about the bits behind the scenes?

Advertisement