Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession is back baby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

6% contraction with an economy in lockdown

Jesus lads, that's a ridiculously good outcome.

Wait until q3 numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This year sucks.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Relax, folks, Micheál Martin is running the country.

It's not like we're stuck with some useless gimp that has previous for absolutely destroying the economy.

As if it makes a material difference whether FG or FF are in charge of this country.

Oh wait, both are. Even better. Or worse, depending on how you view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Remember that dating agency where you were only allowed join if you made more than 35k or thereabouts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Knew two lads who took their own lives in the last recession so I look back at it with a great sadness despite never losing my job or suffering financially personally.

Hope we aren't going back to that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Construction will be flying for another year anyway. Theres a huge backlog for workers who are still on jobs that should be finished by now.

Labourers, agency tradesmen and the lads assembling flat pack furniture might feel the pinch first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It'll be grand

Leo's announced a €2 billion loan scheme for SME"S, Pascal will continue to pay a chunk of wages, Simon has an inordinate amount of new educational schemes just in case ( I've lost count), Eaomonn Ryan has announced a sleep at work incentive, and Heather will insure no one F€&King off will be be checked at the airports, but can insure self employed on PUP payments will actually get a response to being incorrectly penalised and payments reduced because of revenue's ineptitude , meanwhile Michael Martins is deliriously happy about some have baked staycation tax rebate in 2022, what could possibly be go wrong.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What are you basing this on? Some media spin?

He's actually very competent and has done an awful lot of good in any ministerial role he has ever had.

It's an awful lot more difficult to reopen things than it is to just close them down. If you take away the political circus (and the fact Leo is trying to undermine him at every opportunity) he's actually not doing too bad a job.

Wasn't he sat at the Cabinet table when the economy went off the cliff several years ago? That is what I base my opinion on.

This year sucks.

Next year isn't looking to great either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Thankfully we have reverse vending machines for bottles and cans on the way. It’ll be like a gold rush, collecting all that rubbish and cashing in big time.

Sure you’d only need to collect around 10,000 cans per month to keep the mortgage payments up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Times like these I'm glad I work in the public sector.

Quite the big show aren't you.

I bet you say the same to anyone in real life who's just come off the PUP or looking at an uncertain future now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

You’re thinking of bondholders, not shareholders. Two completely different things. Bank shareholders lost everything when the banks were nationalised last time. It was the bondholders that were protected by that action.

Also, don’t confuse a credit crunch with a pandemic lockdown. Two completely different things. Banks have little to do with this one. Forgiving debt isn’t going to help in the long run, as it will cause a credit crunch which will only make things worse.

Just because it’s a recession doesn’t mean it has anything to do with the last one. A recession is merely a technical term for two quarters of negative economic growth. What causes that, and what to do to get out of it, is all that really matters. Also. We had two quarters with exceptional and unprecedented events that were out of the control of the economy. We shut down most of our economy for the sake of the health system. We began to undo that in Q3, and are continuing to do so. It’s the next two or three quarters that will allow us to see what the real situation is.

Thanks I meant to say bondholders not shareholders my mistake.

Sorry about the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

nthclare wrote: »
    Thanks I meant to say bondholders not shareholders my mistake.

Sorry about the confusion.

The Irish State is forever repaying bonds as they fall due, even when it was running massive losses. Should those bondholders have been burned too, meaning no-one would lend to the State again?

How would we fund the pandemic spending in that case?

How about you engage your brain before parrotting something you heard someone else say but that you have no clue about.

salonfire wrote: »

I bet you say the same to anyone in real life who's just come off the PUP or looking at an uncertain future now.

He may not be as flippant when the expected pay rise for the public sector is called into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Of course we are in recession,
    many shops and cafes were closed for months, i think alot of landlords did not recieve rent.
    Many cafes will close down, cafes only make about 5-10 per cent profit.
    How can they keep going when the amount of tables is reduced by 50 per cent.
    When people are afraid they might lose their jobs they will stop buying
    luxury items or going out .
    there are zero tourists coming here, about 200k jobs in ireland depend on tourism.
    the last recession was caused by the banks reckless lending and lack of regulation .
    We are a small country, we cannot just print money like america.
    landlords who rent to retail ,cafes etc will have to reduce the rent to match the fall in revenue for the tenants .
    Or else we will see 100,s of shops closing down.
    in previous recessions young people would go to the uk or america .
    Thats not an option if every western country is in recession

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Noah G

I moved back home and started an electrician apprenticeship , if there is a recession would it affect me as I'm on a low wage .

Money wise I'm good got left money a few months ago which gave me the opportunity to go and do an apprenticeship and not worry about the salary .

No debt to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShockChance

Noah G wrote: »
    I moved back home and started an electrician apprenticeship , if there is a recession would it affect me as I'm on a low wage .

Money wise I'm good got left money a few months ago which gave me the opportunity to go and do an apprenticeship and not worry about the salary .

No debt to pay

With nobody building new houses and commercial businesses closed that's less and less work for electricians and other trades..

With nobody building new houses and commercial businesses closed that's less and less work for electricians and other trades..

True but I'm in a big company that has plenty of projects ahead Iv been told they wouldn't hire us unless there was plenty of work ahead and I'm on a low salary , they would let higher salaries go first.

Worse comes to worse I can wait it out have enough saved , no mortgage, kids or debt to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShockChance

Noah G wrote: »
    True but I'm in a big company that has plenty of projects ahead Iv been told they wouldn't hire us unless there was plenty of work ahead and I'm on a low salary , they would let higher salaries go first.

Worse comes to worse I can wait it out have enough saved , no mortgage, kids or debt to pay

I worked in construction for many years. they dropped us like flies in the last recession. We went from 6 day weeks to nothing. I spent close to a year going around like a beggar looking for scraps of work. The ones that got hit the hardest were the apprentices. Many could not even finish their apprentices.

Great.

They haven't even finished restoring our pay since the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The last recession was terrible for me personally. We’ve only really recovered in the last three years. Luckily this time around we are both still working and hopefully it will stay that way. For anyone facing into uncertainty try and stay positive, you will come out the other side of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Another recession, but all the patriotic folks who love to flee the sinking ship now have to stay on board and see out the storm! :D
    I never understood this line of thinking. Surely someone who feels that the only way to earn a living is to leave is not a problem. Plus everyone on welfare who leaves the country is saving a skint government money. What's wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

eviltwin wrote: »
    The last recession was terrible for me personally. We’ve only really recovered in the last three years. Luckily this time around we are both still working and hopefully it will stay that way. For anyone facing into uncertainty try and stay positive, you will come out the other side of this.

It's going to be sh!t... Worrying about your job and not only that worrying about your health with this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This will be short lived.

Last recession was result of huge borrowing and massively inflated asset prices and increasing interest rates.

You have none of that.

Manufacturing and services are robust. Construction and retail has rebounded in q3. The only area that is suffering is hospitality and many in that area are getting a covid payment close to what they would have got.

Look at the August tax receipts rather than the April to June stuff.

Way way above the revised estimates. Personal taxes in particular - means people are working.

Confidence is still there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I never understood this line of thinking. Surely someone who feels that the only way to earn a living is to leave is not a problem. Plus everyone on welfare who leaves the country is saving a skint government money. What's wrong with that?
    Maybe they're joking but yeah there are people who genuinely do think that. You're letting your country down if you don't stay here on the dole - totally bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Darc19 wrote: »
    This will be short lived.

Last recession was result of huge borrowing and massively inflated asset prices and increasing interest rates.

You have none of that.

Manufacturing and services are robust. Construction and retail has rebounded in q3. The only area that is suffering is hospitality and many in that area are getting a covid payment close to what they would have got.

Look at the August tax receipts rather than the April to June stuff.

Way way above the revised estimates. Personal taxes in particular - means people are working.

Confidence is still there too.
    We are highly dependent on how the rest of the world react. Rebellion in China or India and a disorderly brexit or Germany finally maxing out their credit card could tank the world economy, especially if Covid doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

salonfire wrote: »

Strange way to take that post. I see nothing wrong in someone being happy their job is safe, although their pay may not be. We're not going to start this public v private war again at the first sign of an economic downturn are we?
    He may not be as flippant when the expected pay rise for the public sector is called into question.

Restoration, P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

AMKC wrote: »
    Will you go fu'ck yourself with that stupid suggestion or better yet get a Mistress to Fu,ck you with all that money your swimming in you can no doubt afford it. Just because you have such a great life and have never had to be on the Dole does not mean you should bash people on it. You have no idea of there life.
    They were being ironic - you were being fairly "I'm all right Jack" below *though*.
    AMKC wrote: »
    Lol na fu,ck that. I got through the last recession ok and will get through this one too. It's going to be a weird recession do because instead of prices falling in shops, cinema's etc they will rise because of the pandemic and less customers to go to them too. Prices have already risen and will no doubt rise more. It should be the other way In a recession. At least house and car prices might fall do. Great them to buy during a recession.

I worked in construction for many years. they dropped us like flies in the last recession. We went from 6 day weeks to nothing. I spent close to a year going around like a beggar looking for scraps of work. The ones that got hit the hardest were the apprentices. Many could not even finish their apprentices.

The last recession was alot worse then this will be, my partners brother was doing a plumbing apprenticeship back then he didnt lose his job hasn't been out of work since. Depends on trade I would say.

I cant see an apprentice dong 2 or 3 years and then not finishing it if lost there Job .
    Apprentices would just pick up where they left off when ever they went back to work. I wouldn't say they got it the worse as they wouldn't be paying a mortgage and more then likely living at home .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gourcuff wrote: »
    Speculating but austerity/cutbacks seem to be politically toxic, will we just keep borrowing like hell and the national debt will rocket?

Might as well it can never ever be paid off so keep going, it's cheap, possibly free money.

This will be a sharp recession but short lived, our financial system didn't go into meltdown this time so it's nothing like 2008. The banks are on a short leash still and the property bubble isn't near to bursting.

Advertisement