Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Renault Zoe ZE 40 charging query

  • 07-09-2020 1:13pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk


    Can someone tell me how long It takes to charge at a 22kw slow charge point with a ze 40, I know the 22kw Zoe usually took about an hour


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ UID0


    It depends on what charge you start at and the battery temperature. If it's warm or you've been driving you'll get 22kW from 0 up to 70-75% and then it starts to taper down. When you get above 95% or so, you're down to about 8-10kW and when you get to 99% it drops to about 1kW.
    I checked my ecars history and in July I got 35kWh in 1:50 (started at 12%), but it was only charged to 99% at that stage. Getting from 99 to 100 can take 30-45 minutes.
    Using these figures, you can get from 0 to 100% in about 2:30 to 2:50.
    In winter, it takes longer unless you've been driving for a while before charging.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk


    UID0 wrote: »
    It depends on what charge you start at and the battery temperature. If it's warm or you've been driving you'll get 22kW from 0 up to 70-75% and then it starts to taper down. When you get above 95% or so, you're down to about 8-10kW and when you get to 99% it drops to about 1kW.
    I checked my ecars history and in July I got 35kWh in 1:50 (started at 12%), but it was only charged to 99% at that stage. Getting from 99 to 100 can take 30-45 minutes.
    Using these figures, you can get from 0 to 100% in about 2:30 to 2:50.
    In winter, it takes longer unless you've been driving for a while before charging.

    Ah ok, so from say 1% to 80% would take about an hour? And how much would that cost roughly if I was using the public charge point for that hour?


  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ UID0


    1 - 80% is about 32kWh, so would take at least 90 minutes. I think it's 23c/kWh, so about €7.36


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk


    UID0 wrote: »
    1 - 80% is about 32kWh, so would take at least 90 minutes. I think it's 23c/kWh, so about €7.36

    Do you know which of the 22kw Zoe’s charge about 1 hour at the slow public charge point?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭ charlieIRL


    Isn’t there two different versions of the Zoe 40 as well, an R and a Q?? One of them can charge at the full 22kW while the other can’t.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭ ei9go


    charlieIRL wrote: »
    Isn’t there two different versions of the Zoe 40 as well, an R and a Q?? One of them can charge at the full 22kW while the other can’t.

    No. both can charge at 22 kW. Q90 can charge at 43 kW from AC43


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭ ei9go


    colmkirk wrote: »
    Do you know which of the 22kw Zoe’s charge about 1 hour at the slow public charge point?

    All of them.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    colmkirk wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how long It takes to charge at a 22kw slow charge point with a ze 40, I know the 22kw Zoe usually took about an hour

    40/22 = 1.8 hours (108 minutes) from 0-100%.
    (Not counting transmission losses etc etc )


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭ ei9go


    Gumbo wrote: »
    40/22 = 1.8 hours (108 minutes) from 0-100%.
    (Not counting transmission losses etc etc )

    More usually 20% - 80% about 70 mins


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭ haphaphap


    4% up to about 95% will take about 2 hours in warmish weather on a ZE40 at a 22kw charger. The last 5% and especially the last 1% takes a long time.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭ haphaphap


    today with temperatures of about 2 to 4 degrees the Zoe ZE40 was only taking about 14KW at a 43kwh charging station. I parked at about 3% and 2 hours later it was only at about 80%. Normally it doesn't start throttling until you get in to the 90s.
    The battery management system is really poor in that I wasn't able to do a 180km round trip this week. I did the first 90km at between 110 and 130kmph but couldn't do the return trip at 84kmph in the wet with 4 degrees.

    I'm hoping the BMS on my next car will be a lot smarter than on the Zoe.
    I like this car but as this car doesn't like winter it really is only suitable as a 2nd car due to lack of range and lack of fast charge.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Is this different to other EVs?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭ haphaphap


    a heated battery will travel farther and charge quicker.


Advertisement