Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Golf Club?

Options
  • 06-09-2020 7:12pm

Has anyone played here, and if so any opinions?

Recently moved to the surrounding area and fees etc look okay, so wouldn't mind hearing other people's thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Its a well run club and good bar/restaurant A bit short, tight and some quirky holes but you would get used to it quick enough. Royal Dublin and St Annes are close too.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

It's a short enough course. I found I'd only play my driver off the tee on two holes. Had considered joining previously, but they were looking for €4k hello money. Not sure if that's still in place

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It’s ok, but not worth paying a joining fee for, slightly stuffy, tight course, even awkward crossing of tee shots on previous fairway on one hole. As noted, it’s mostly irons and hybrids off tee. Lot of better golf options unless proximity really is the key thing. It’s my closest course, went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm not a member but play there a fair bit as it's one of the closest courses to me and I've a few mates who are members. It's short, tight, and feels like one of those small town parkland courses when playing. Notions up around the clubhouse. A bit like Sutton Golf Club in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Considered joining at one point. As could walk to it.

As described above - as tight as it comes, as you are surrounded by a school, a main road and Parnell park.

I like that oasis , surprising, away from it all, urban golf - but there are literally, fully away from it all, not too far from Clontarf.

But - I can see why the course and club suit some people perfectly. A course next to you , can have a meal, a drink, a fast round, and great if a shorter hitter or getting older - there are rather unusually, great short game practice facilities. Not much on long side ? Clarify your status in the bowling club - could be an interesting addition.

There are lots of options in the area , but there is an element of compromise in most of them.

The main areas to focus on

Location - there is a big difference in a course 5 mins away and 20 + - also consider if it is on your route to work. I think people need to drive to the course a few times at different times. Traffic in the area can be fairly horrendous - and these "10/15 minute drives" - are not at all.

Course - Do you want a top of the range course , or are you happy enough with an average one. Is the course very hard and will it rip you apart, distance, wind, your game. Would you be happier with an easier more enjoyable shorter course. An obvious one in the area - do you want to play Parkland or Links.

Club atmosphere - This is an element I completely underestimated , are you comfortable there , would your family be welcome, is there activity and friendliness.
    Do people tend to eat and socialize there.
    To be honest in the past most clubs in the area had a stinking reputation - kinda strange as the full area is predominately middle / working class. Someone warned me they can be the worst snobs going. I'm not sure what it is like now - but Clontarf had a poor reputation. (but most clubs did)

Cost - probably the biggest factor for most. But I would add , that if you find the perfect conditions of above and have the money , go for it. Joining the right club is a way of life and a great benefit to you and should be for your family too. Don't be afraid to raise that with them, entry for family, wife kids etc. Holding family events / gatherings (of 6 :D ).

So - best of luck. Don't rule Clontarf out. Play all the courses in the area , do a bit of research and go for it.

In general - I'm a bit of a golf course snob , and I'm not a massive fan of most of the golf courses in the area. But there are great golf clubs , and there is more to a club than the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Best bit about it, is not even Clontarf! It’s feckin Killester

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ymayma

even better bit about it is its not even killester... its donncarney..

Advertisement