Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

In terms of sport I’ve heard very critical comments on the following “legends”

Brian o Driscoll
    Paul o Connell
    Ronan o gara
    Rory mcilroy
    Conor mcgregor
    Roy keane
    Robbie keane

Maybe Barry mcguigan might make the list? Quite popular still

Nice piss take there.

Wee Barry the Brit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don cockburn /end of discussion

The only thing wrong with Don was that he wasn’t called Phil..

Said quickly... “hey, Phil Cockburn” :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Stephen Roche - im not a cycling fan by any stretch but I vividly remember him winning the TDF in 87, massive deal at the time and I've never heard anyone criticise him, maybe not universally loved but one of those people that most Irish folk of a certain vintage will remember with some sort of fondness/admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Glad I can help in this Sunday night :)

Ah was only joking.,was watching step brothers and i was cracking up when I read that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

joeguevara wrote: »
    Liam was insanely talented as a footballer but didn’t like when he joined the panel. Mainly because of his refusal to ever criticise Trapattoni. Whoever decided to team up Bill, Johnny and a Éamon was an evil genius. They were fantastic. Bill knew which buttons to press but was average football knowledge. Johnny Giles is/was a football genius and his knowledge of the game was world class. Éamon loved saying things to wind Johnny up and bill trying to reign them in. It just worked. Nearly didn’t need the apres match parody as they were comedy gold in themselves.

Yeah, from memory though I ‘think’ Brady was a pundit for RTÉ pre Trapp, I’m open to correction on that but his reluctance to criticize Trappatoni meant he was viewed as a pretty disingenuous and pretty average pundit as far as his views and thoughts of that Irish team were concerned. He was being paid public money he owed to impart the public with honest and accurate opinion.

• Advertisement

Stephen Roche - im not a cycling fan by any stretch but I vividly remember him winning the TDF in 87, massive deal at the time and I've never heard anyone criticise him, maybe not universally loved but one of those people that most Irish folk of a certain vintage will remember with some sort of fondness/admiration.

Was such a huge thing. Watched the final stage in a hotel in Waterford. He also won the big world event soon after but was trying to get Seán kelly to pass him but Seán didn’t have the legs so Stephen went for it.

Big day out in school then for the milk ras and we lined the street in roscrea and 3 seconds later over. Stephen has kind of been erased from irish sport legends due to the judge finding that he was on Performance enhancing drugs for a long time https://www.irishtimes.com/news/doctor-did-give-drug-to-irish-star-judge-concludes-1.1136835.

Nail in his coffin was when he said lance Armstrong should be give his Tour de France wins back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

What demographic has this new view of Michael D Higgins. He is probably the most loved President in my lifetime and I’m going back to Patrick Hillary.

He is a believer in social justice but also follows through and includes students and young people from socially deprived areas when other politicians and advocates pay lip service.

Every speech he makes is a piece of art which includes literary references, educational references and examples to bring it to real life so people can understand it.

He is a Gaelgoir and is constantly promoting our native language while others deride it.

He has been part of major steps forward in inclusion in our country and not hid behind red tape. For example when the same s3x marriage was voted through by 1.2 million people, he signed it into law, not on a whim but knowledge even where people with no legal basis or case tried to delay or rescind with no other reason but hate.

To say he changes his voice is crazy. He’s sounded the same his whole life. He also treats dignitaries and less fortunate as equals and never allows pomp to trump human life.

And when you saw him shaking hands with the Irish Rugby Team dwarfed beside Devin Toner, you cant not love him.

Abused the office by making political statements. Also misled the people by saying he would be a one term president. Altogether an odious piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

If you were cooked a fillet steak badly you hate the chef noot the steak.

Honestly if you are Irish, you have no choice but accepting Irish is our native language as its recognised as such in our constitution. If you don’t recognise the constitution then i don’t count you. And promotion of our culture while integrating others is paramount.

Gaelic is the native language of a tiny percentage of the current Irish population.
    It is but a minuscule part of Irish culture. ..and in no wise coterminous with it.
    The very idea of a people of a country 'promoting its culture ' is a nonsense. People live a culture - it's what they think and do everyday ..and it's always changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The thing from Longford that was on love island

boardise wrote: »
    Abused the office by making political statements. Also misled the people by saying he would be a one term president. Altogether an odious piece of work.

Discussed this. Really shocked so many people thought it. But have no real issue with it.

However the fact 75% of the public wanted him to serve a second term tempers the lie to public argument. Is the issue that Sinn Fein wanted Liadh Na Riadh as president the real issue, fact they ran liadh against all customary shows a lot. As for a house in galway, any links to Sf there. Political statements. Yeah, not seeing it,

• Advertisement

boardise wrote: »
    Gaelic is the native language of a tiny percentage of the current Irish population.
    It is but a minuscule part of Irish culture. ..and in no wise coterminous with it.
    The very idea of a people of a country 'promoting its culture ' is a nonsense. People live a culture - it's what they think and do everyday ..and it's always changing.

I doubt anyone speaks Gaelic in Ireland seeing as it refers only to the Native language of Scotland.

Irish is a huge part of Irish culture even if you and loads of others want to forget it. Amazing that it seems a bit of a pick and mix, having an amazing constitution that guarantees fundamental freedoms and each and every one of us which didn’t just appear from the heavens. The reason that Irish is the way it is is because of...well. Yes as I said every time we need to embrace the future, but while still having our culture and all the freedoms it has brought. But I have said this. You can have your opinion and I’ll have mine. There is no argument or issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Why?

Michael D Higgins?
    Support for Castro.
    Signing dodgy pieces of legislation in on obscure days so it was thought it would go unnoticed (irish water, something about accomodation).

Was such a huge thing. Watched the final stage in a hotel in Waterford. He also won the big world event soon after but was trying to get Seán kelly to pass him but Seán didn’t have the legs so Stephen went for it.

Big day out in school then for the milk ras and we lined the street in roscrea and 3 seconds later over. Stephen has kind of been erased from irish sport legends due to the judge finding that he was on Performance enhancing drugs for a long time https://www.irishtimes.com/news/doctor-did-give-drug-to-irish-star-judge-concludes-1.1136835.

Nail in his coffin was when he said lance Armstrong should be give his Tour de France wins back.

That killed it for me too. I thought Stephen Roche was god on two wheels. What I learned was, you cannot win at cycling without doping. If you dont win you get canned. What is the point of trying if everyone else around you is on 'roids? How do you face kids when you were their idol after it was found out you cheated? I just couldnt do that.

That killed it for me too. I thought Stephen Roche was god on two wheels. What I learned was, you cannot win at cycling without doping. If you dont win you get canned. What is the point of trying if everyone else around you is on 'roids? How do you face kids when you were their idol after it was found out you cheated? I just couldnt do that.

Sean Kelly is still a legend.

Amsterdam is a lot like the Tour De France. Load of people on drugs riding around in bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Rory Gallagher.

Michael D Higgins?
    Support for Castro.
    Signing dodgy pieces of legislation in on obscure days so it was thought it would go unnoticed (irish water, something about accomodation).

Again, a president can not amend or change law. If it was drafted in a constitutional fashion he has no option but to sign it. Now in extreme circumstances he can request guidance from council of the president but that is for stuff we cannot even imagine. Before he even goes near it he will have studied every issue and his knowledge is excellent but again refer to presidents powers. Now, if the dodgy pieces of legislation were as you said and he was nefarious. Very strange that SF in opposition never once sought the Supreme Court to initiate their powers. It’s all the social media spoon feeding.

As for Castro, his statement as a president of Ireland was supportive of the positive policies brought in such as 100% literacy, much improved hospitals and much less poverty and inequality as in other Latin American countries with similar economic output. But he also outlined what the effect the regime had on the people. It was measured and was well received. It also has to be remembered that a lot of the issues were because of the sanctions imposed by United States. Reading every republican media outlet, it’s Castro was as evil as ciucescu and Stalin combined but more liberal show him as ironfosted but a progressive and a bastion for the downtrodden and everything a good revolutionary should be. Amazing that no other nation and even the EU had economic or terrorist sanctions against him when they quickly impose on other tyrants in Africa Latin America and East. So what is Michaels D to do. Bow to republican right wing views and not acknowledge the passing of one of the most important leaders in modern times putting a slur on the people grieving in Cuba or standup and eloquently outline the good and the bad.

Finally We must remember when no one cared about Ireland and people were fighting for equality in the North and civil rights in Derry and human rights for interred prisoners who were locked up without trial, and very few leaders of countries stood up to speak out but Fidel Castro did. So for someone to without discussion rebuke michael d for Castro statement is not right.

It’s funny I wouldn’t have ever been a supporter of him. Definitely favoured Norris until he jumped the shark with a ridiculous and contemptible comment. But Michael d has done great for us and generates feel good when I see him stride about, the other thing I forgot to mention when he accepted the feelings of the 75% of the people was as a general election looming and public finances stretched, and a huge bill required to run it and quickly after a general election again it saved the economy millions. Also it was Liadh and Gavin Duffy who wanted it. God help us. Let’s face all the negative press came from SF who effectively wanted to run a dual general election campaign through the presidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Three Irish people who I have never heard a bad word about:

Ardal O'Hanlon

Larry Mullen of U2

Thelma Mansfield

Three Irish people who I have never heard a bad word about:

Ardal O'Hanlon

Larry Mullen of U2

Thelma Mansfield

Larry was. Ardal yeah as everyone else was but was he loved liked the others or just the p1ss pull. Thelma. I did mention derek. Thelma while a longtime servant of live at 3 didn’t do anything that makes me remember. Saw her selling art in a pop up shop in DL last year. Looked fit, for her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Thelma Mansfield

I know one of her sons. A nice person. So I suspect she is a nice person too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You mean it wasn't Calvita cheese?
    No wonder he dropped off the public radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Michael D Higgins?
    Support for Castro.

Could you please share your list of the days that it's OK with you for him to sign legislation?

FFS man, if that's your biggest whinge then it's a good sign that he did a decent job.

You mean it wasn't Calvita cheese?
    No wonder he dropped off the public radar.

It was "Galtee Cheese" that I thought made him win races. I ate blocks of the stuff to get the free tea-towel. It was like the same time you hear that your favourite rockstar does drugs..... *rocks back and forth in the corner*

Could you please share your list of the days that it's OK with you for him to sign legislation?

FFS man, if that's your biggest whinge then it's a good sign that he did a decent job.

When you sign a piece of legislation it should be out in the open, particularly the dodgy bits.

As for doing a decent job he is certainly neither of the two Mary's.

Again, a president can not amend or change law. If it was drafted in a constitutional fashion he has no option but to sign it. Now in extreme circumstances he can request guidance from council of the president but that is for stuff we cannot even imagine. Before he even goes near it he will have studied every issue and his knowledge is excellent but again refer to presidents powers. Now, if the dodgy pieces of legislation were as you said and he was nefarious. Very strange that SF in opposition never once sought the Supreme Court to initiate their powers. It’s all the social media spoon feeding.

As for Castro, his statement as a president of Ireland was supportive of the positive policies brought in such as 100% literacy, much improved hospitals and much less poverty and inequality as in other Latin American countries with similar economic output. But he also outlined what the effect the regime had on the people. It was measured and was well received. It also has to be remembered that a lot of the issues were because of the sanctions imposed by United States. Reading every republican media outlet, it’s Castro was as evil as ciucescu and Stalin combined but more liberal show him as ironfosted but a progressive and a bastion for the downtrodden and everything a good revolutionary should be. Amazing that no other nation and even the EU had economic or terrorist sanctions against him when they quickly impose on other tyrants in Africa Latin America and East. So what is Michaels D to do. Bow to republican right wing views and not acknowledge the passing of one of the most important leaders in modern times putting a slur on the people grieving in Cuba or standup and eloquently outline the good and the bad.

Finally We must remember when no one cared about Ireland and people were fighting for equality in the North and civil rights in Derry and human rights for interred prisoners who were locked up without trial, and very few leaders of countries stood up to speak out but Fidel Castro did. So for someone to without discussion rebuke michael d for Castro statement is not right.

Well once you eliminate illiteracy 100%? There is no western country that has done that. Why were all the Cubans escaping to the United States then on rubber tyres.

The North was a proxy war fought between London and Moscow. The polit Bureau were sending arms via Libya and other Warsaw Pact states. So of course it was going to support it own cause. I am not saying the suffering of the people in Northern Ireland wasn't real previous but once both sides were properly armed, then it started.

Now I have not been to Cuba but a friend of mine has and confirmed for be beyond doubt that yes it is a complete sugarhole. but they have an amazing marketing and tourism board.

I’ve skipped from page one to the last page.

Has Brenda Fricker been mentioned? If Kevin McAllister loved her in Home Alone 2 then we all should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I’ve skipped from page one to the last page.

Has Brenda Fricker been mentioned? If Kevin McAllister loved her in Home Alone 2 then we all should.

Heard an interview with her a while back. Very straight talking, no nonsense type. Very humble and seems to be living a reclusive lifestyle. She is likable in that sense everyone loves a celebrity who hates celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Graham Norton has his critics but I think most people like him.

Graham is fantastic, the show always gives me a good laugh. He gets the best and the funniest out of people, that's for sure.
    Kerry25x wrote: »
    I think Saorise Ronan deserves a mention as well, very talented and seems to represent Ireland very well in any interviews I've seen her in.

I agree, she's not my favourite actor but I appreciate her talent, fair dues to her. Irish people are extremely nasty about her though, and I can't understand it. Case in point:
    She's really false.

...she's an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When you sign a piece of legislation it should be out in the open, particularly the dodgy bits.

As for doing a decent job he is certainly neither of the two Mary's.

What does this even mean? Do you want him to do signings out in the garden or what?

He doesn't get to pick and choose what legislation he signs. He doesn't get a view on whether he approves of it or not.

If it is legal, (and it would be very, very unusual for it to be illegal) then he signs it.

What specifically are you expecting him to do?

You're right though, he's certainly not using the post as a career stepping stone as Robbo did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And spread horrible rumours under direction that Harry had ripped him off. Couple that with the death of his daughter it’s amazing how he coped. He did a amazing interview last week calling out the effects of organised crime on boxing and how it needed to stop. So many professionals congratulated him for his courage and honesty. Until Sky Sports released a promotional ad with new addition of MTK logo in bottom corner.

In the 80s when nothing was good and even as a kid could see everyone happy but broke, him winning the world title and showing that Ireland has amazing people was a breath of fresh air.

Then even better Dermot Morgan hit number one with a parody of him thanking mr Eastwood. Good times

https://youtu.be/yHxrDcAjf60

it really is shocking stuff, jonny nelson on sky has been bought by the kinnehans also

Advertisement