Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Colour

Options
  • 05-09-2020 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

I am going to buy a certain bike and they only have it in silver colour. It also comes in black which I would prefer but they don't have it in stock and it got me wondering what is your favourite colour in a bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Green

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Of the bikes I own, yellow. I have a carbon bike in standard issue black and it looks just like most other carbon bikes in standard issue black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I had a fluro yellow Cannondale for sale recently at a great price and it took a while to move on, Ultegra, discs etc so no other reason. Can only think most didn't like the colour. I thought it was class..

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Mine is bright red and I love it. Don’t know why a lot of cyclists opt for black bikes? Brighter colours help you stand out on darker days.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Black is the most aerodynamic colour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

White all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I recently got a Ferrari red bike. Gloss finish. Total bling and much prefer to Matt black carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

I bought a trek hybrid bike years ago ..in white and black..black been in the handlebars. One part of the frame and saddle and bar.really stands out and looks expensive..i find all reds greens yellows just look cheapish.like a colour you put on a child's bike...jst my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Purple strangely ! I like that caad12 in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Love the black Colnago C60s with the light blue lugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I love my Bright yellow and black Dolan. I had a sky blue Trek that I loved too. Both got lots of positive comments usually from people who said they’d never have the nerve to buy a bright coloured bike. My old fire red hybrid was nice too.

Other bikes are Matt black/white which is boring , and silver/royal blue which is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Remember really admiring a lightish blue bike on the Sean Kelly a few years ago. It just seemed the right colour. The fact that we were hammering along with a tail wind and nearly home might have influenced my judgement.

Otherwise I'd have to say raw titanium!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

White all the way.

Yep and its a sin if the seat and tape arent white to match.
    That is of course unless its a Bianchi and then the only choice is baby blue.

Also no yellow unless youve won the tour and I dont think Roche is a poster on here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my cannondale is silver with fluorescent highlights. I really didn't want a black one way too many stealth bikes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

My favourite colour is pink; yes, I started cycling in the 80s when it was de rigeur.

My '92 steel Lemond is pink/gunmetal, the Kirk magnesium MTB has fluoro pink forks/bartape and a steel Olmo I'm restoring will ultimately end up with a pink aero-fade paintjob.

Lads on their black carbon whatevers give themselves whiplash doubletaking when I meet them on the road.

My '86 steel Merckx is TDF maillot jaune yellow, my 1999 Armstrong (yes, him!) replica OCLV Trek is TDF yellow and I'm planning a Dogma replica of Wiggin's 2012 bike in....yes....TDF yellow.

Black is for tyres, rimbrake pads, bb axles and uncleaned chains!

Add some colour to your bike!!

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That is of course unless its a Bianchi and then the only choice is baby blue.

Ahem.....Celeste......ahem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭G1032

Have a purple CAAD12. Love the colour.
    Put green bar tape on it a few weeks ago!!

8valve wrote: »
    My favourite colour is pink; yes, I started cycling in the 80s when it was de rigeur.

My '92 steel Lemond is pink/gunmetal, the Kirk magnesium MTB has fluoro pink forks/bartape and a steel Olmo I'm restoring will ultimately end up with a pink aero-fade paintjob.

Lads on their black carbon whatevers give themselves whiplash doubletaking when I meet them on the road.

My '86 steel Merckx is TDF maillot jaune yellow, my 1999 Armstrong (yes, him!) replica OCLV Trek is TDF yellow and I'm planning a Dogma replica of Wiggin's 2012 bike in....yes....TDF yellow.

Black is for tyres, rimbrake pads, bb axles and uncleaned chains!

Add some colour to your bike!!

Theres a woman who lives local enough to me who rides a flat bar Cannondale in shocking pink. It's magnificent, pictures on their site don't do it justice. Seriously pops when you see it with your own eyes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

god be with the days of MBK and their neon coloured bikes.

one of my LBSes has some of the liv avail models in, and they look even better in the flesh.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/avail-ar-2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

8valve wrote: »
    Ahem.....Celeste......ahem!

Ha your right.

Was it London 2012 when all the specialized bikes and kit were yellow/orange heat change colours ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

G1032 wrote: »
    Have a purple CAAD12. Love the colour.
    Put green bar tape on it a few weeks ago!!

Cool -any photo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

That brings back memories, I used to droll over them in the local shop. I remember one was around 300 punts and had Hutchinson tyres with a blue line on them for extra colour, it had a magnificent blend of purple throughout the frame!

Kleins for the win though!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

I have a 2014 Specialized Tarmac that is black and white. In certain light you can see the carbon weave which I think looks great. My MTB is a colour that cube call Blueberry with black and fluvio yellow which I also like and is colourful but subtle.

Oberkon wrote: »
    Cool -any photo ?

I don't. I can take one later!!!

one of my LBSes has some of the liv avail models in, and they look even better in the flesh.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/avail-ar-2

I have an MBK Super Record, built from Columbus SL tubing, in neon yellow/white/pinky orange (Team Lotto Superclub colours); I bought it with the intention of repainting it in the FAGOR White/Red colours but it's in too good original nick to blast the original paint off and the nineties neon is growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I am very, very partial to chromovelato blue or ramato on older steel bikes. Not gone on totally stealth bikes at all.

i mentioned in another thread that a german colleague of mine was in northern italy recently on an unsuccessful attempt to buy a 1980s chromovelato blue wilier frame. he was warned while in the wilier factory that it may not be genuine.

found this while checking to see if the ebay listing for the frame sascha was looking to buy is still listed (it's not)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-Kult-Colnago-Competition-steel-Mountainbike-frame-frameset-MTB-ATB/154060085882?hash=item23deb25a7a:g:G-cAAOSwZbtfR7rU

Oberkon wrote: »
    Cool -any photo ?

See attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Like 8Valve I love pink. I had a beautiful Planet X in pink years ago but sadly it died in a crash, much to my dismay.

It was replaced by a titanium frame which is unpainted, which I love, but still miss my pink bike

Advertisement