Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 :Round 8 Monza

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

As someone that's a big fan of formula one but wouldn't consider myself particularly knowledgeable on it as I've only really gotten really into it over the last three or four years, are Renault team that is massively underachieving? I would have assumed money isn't an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

redlead wrote: »
    As someone that's a big fan of formula one but wouldn't consider myself particularly knowledgeable on it as I've only really gotten really into it over the last three or four years, are Renault team that is massively underachieving? I would have assumed money isn't an issue for them.

You need to build up a team, (Mercedes has 1000 people employed) working together with an up to date factory. This takes time and if you look at Ferrari you can't simply buy success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Crofty crying about Bottas not "waiting" for Lewis is next-level cringe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Harika wrote: »
    You need to build up a team, (Mercedes has 1000 people employed) working together with an up to date factory. This takes time and if you look at Ferrari you can't simply buy success.

Also, the really important part here is the "working together" bit that Ferrari seem to have completely forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Great lap from Sainz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

Awesome from Sainz and Perez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Great to see Mclaren and Renault doing well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

8 tenths of a second over the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Sainz making the most of things in a good car - great lap!

The cameras also did that Hamilton lap justice - that was fupin' immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Indestructable

0.800s behind the Mercs in P3. Party mode my eye, that car is glued to the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The Sainz look good for McLaren!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

redlead wrote: »
    Not at all. They had a bad year last year but the year before done fairly good. They have improved a lot this year and will do so next year too. They are still building the team. Renault have a lot of resources yes but not the unlimited budget and resources that Mercedes and Ferrari have and came close I would say to pulling out this year but thankfully did not. They will have Alonso next year too which hopefully will see them improving more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Something needs to be done with Free practice and Qualifying at Monza. It's just dangerous with them all bunching up like that. Maybe the fast cars should be sent out to do there laps first say Mercedes, McLaren,Renault, Red Bull and Racing Point and then the other cars go out after the fast cars have set there time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

AMKC wrote: »
    Something needs to be done with Free practice and Qualifying at Monza. It's just dangerous with them all bunching up like that. Maybe the fast cars should be sent out to do there laps first say Mercedes, McLaren,Renault, Red Bull and Racing Point and then the other cars go out after the fast cars have set there time.

Russel made a decent point, go out as per the constructor standings with a gap between.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

Why is it that Monza is worse than other places, why do they bunch up like that? I understand the tow bit they were using team mates, why do all teams go out together there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

"Schumacher wins at Monza"

I will take that.

Ms

Hijpo wrote: »
    Russel made a decent point, go out as per the constructor standings with a gap between.
    Exactly so Mercedes should be out first as they are top and have the fastest cat so go do there lap then Red Bull the McLaren then Renayot etc untill we get to Haas and William's. It would give the slower cars a better chance as well as there would be more rubber down on the track for them to do there laps and they could push harder in there cars
    Who's knows it might even end up surprising us maybe a Willisms would get into the top 10 and Bottas might actually push his car and beat Hamilton knowing if he does not he could end up further down. I think that is what needs to be done next year and every year after that here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AMKC wrote: »

Quali should be both cars from one team out in turn. 10 laps max between them so they can give a tow etc. Draw lots to decide the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This is it wrote: »
    Why is it that Monza is worse than other places, why do they bunch up like that? I understand the tow bit they were using team mates, why do all teams go out together there?

Gonna be the same with the Bahrain outer track - lots of straight and relatively short lap, means 0.1-0.2 sec might make a difference of 4-5 places on the grid. As I said before, you didn't see this ridiculous carry on in the past.

The easiest solution is to impose a maximum time to drive from the pit exit line to the start line of the hotlap, otherwise your next timed lap is invalidated - or even better, you lose ALL TIMING in the session up to that point. They already have the system in place to monitor that with the VSC system and to show the "delta" on the dashboard for each driver. Make it a fairly sharp limit too - so they can't dawdle around, like 1m30s for Monza or whereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Gonna be the same with the Bahrain outer track - lots of straight and relatively short lap, means 0.1-0.2 sec might make a difference of 4-5 places on the grid. As I said before, you didn't see this ridiculous carry on in the past.

The easiest solution is to impose a maximum time to drive from the pit exit line to the start line of the hotlap, otherwise your next timed lap is invalidated - or even better, you lose ALL TIMING in the session up to that point. They already have the system in place to monitor that with the VSC system and to show the "delta" on the dashboard for each driver. Make it a fairly sharp limit too - so they can't dawdle around, like 1m30s for Monza or whereabouts.

They did set a time of 1min43 as the slowest you can go on a non hot lap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bahrain 2 will be mental. A 55s lap means an average track distance between cars of less than 3s down the field in Q1. Surely unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Did I miss it but did Hamilton not show up for the end racism bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

DC works for sky now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I can't see anything other then a Lewis win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I can't see anything other then a Lewis win.

And fastest lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Never thought I'd see Ferrari at 375/1 to win a race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Hijpo wrote: »
    And fastest lap?

I'd actually go with bottas for that. Or maybe max

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Excellent stuff from Mclaren

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Bottas setting a new low

• Advertisement