Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Face covering exemption question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Neyite wrote: »
    Schools barely have the resources for essential supplies, and can only manage to function because of the voluntary contribution from parents and fund-raising by the school or parents themselves.

Where's the money for these mythical desk screens to come from? The Dept of Education? pfft.

This school had the desk prepared. It is an issue the location of the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Schools barely have the resources for essential supplies, and can only manage to function because of the voluntary contribution from parents and fund-raising by the school or parents themselves.

Where's the money for these mythical desk screens to come from? The Dept of Education? pfft.

Actually they did get funding for adaptation works. My sons preschool didn’t get the funding as they are under HSE. ( they put hand washing sinks in each room)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This school had the desk prepared. It is an issue the location of the desk.

So they likely had this desk prepared for any students that are unable to wear masks in order to keep them protected.

Her son has a severe respiratory issue. This puts him in the high risk category. Additionally due to his autism he's unable to wear a mask. The school were also protecting him by socially distancing him and putting screens between him and everyone else.

But this wasn't acceptable to the OP, so what they need to do is arm themselves with the schools covid policy and make an appointment to speak to the principal. If no compromise can be found that protects both the OP's child and everyone else in the class, then the OP can withdraw the child and homeschool.

So they likely had this desk prepared for any students that are unable to wear masks in order to keep them protected.

Her son has a severe respiratory issue. This puts him in the high risk category. Additionally due to his autism he's unable to wear a mask. The school were also protecting him by socially distancing him and putting screens between him and everyone else.

But this wasn't acceptable to the OP, so what they need to do is arm themselves with the schools covid policy and make an appointment to speak to the principal. If no compromise can be found that protects both the OP's child and everyone else in the class, then the OP can withdraw the child and homeschool.

As I understand it the desk wasn't just prepared in case needed, it was prepared for this student specifically.

Yes, all the students need to be protected.

I just don't understand why the desk cannot just be in the back row.

And I don't understand how the OP didn't engage more with the principal before school started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

As I understand it the desk wasn't just prepared in case needed, it was prepared for this student specifically.

Yes, all the students need to be protected.

I just don't understand why the desk cannot just be in the back row.

And I don't understand how the OP didn't engage more with the principal before school started.

The way I read it was the perspex is up around the teachers desk to protect the teacher I presume and the child needed to sit up with the teacher.... I remember seeing a clip on the news and some classrooms were kitted out this way.

Yes that's abit daunting but hardly bullying or discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Exactly, it makes no sense. If kids were told to wear a leash and collar to school to prevent spread of this unremarkable virus, would parents just go along with what they were told because that's the popular opinion on twitter?

Dear GAWWWWWWD..

The way I read it was the perspex is up around the teachers desk to protect the teacher I presume and the child needed to sit up with the teacher.... I remember seeing a clip on the news and some classrooms were kitted out this way.

Yes that's abit daunting but hardly bullying or discrimination.

I had assumed the student's desk and the teacher's desk had separate screens - deferring the purpose if they both behind the same screen. However I re-read the first post and could be as you say. Very lacking in detail.

Yes I agree it is not bullying or discrimination (said so earlier too) but it is more that the teachers and principal didn't take into account that any child or teen would be mortified. And honestly the parent is equally to blame for that happening

jrosen wrote: »
    Sounds like you made up a medical reason and got your GP on board to sign the medical cert all because you dont agree with masks.

Who is that post directed at?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

The OP I’d imagine Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ive actually deleted my post as I got posters mixed up.

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    The OP I’d imagine Patrick.

You imagined wrong I think :)

jrosen wrote: »
    Ive actually deleted my post as I got posters mixed up.

Still there :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

You imagined wrong I think :)

Yup! We’re all mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Still there :pac:

Thanks lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

fits wrote: »
    Actually they did get funding for adaptation works. My sons preschool didn’t get the funding as they are under HSE. ( they put hand washing sinks in each room)
    The funding was very miserly and wouldn't cover perspex screens for individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

The school called me in for a meeting.They can't accommodate a child who can't wear a face covering.There is nobody at home to allow home schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

todolist wrote: »
    The school called me in for a meeting.They can't accommodate a child who can't wear a face covering.There is nobody at home to allow home schooling.

Can you organise a home tutor/childminder?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Remind them they cannot discriminate against your son.

Can you organise a home tutor/childminder?
    No

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Remind them they cannot discriminate against your son.
    Apparently they can discriminate and there is nothing I can do.

• Advertisement

Apparently they can discriminate and there is nothing I can do.

Id ring the IHRAEC for advice. That's appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I was chatting to my cousin who is a teacher in a school for children with special needs. 4-18 mild and moderate. Very surprised that all kids are wearing masks.

Firstly is there an alternative I.e visors.

Every child is entitled to an education up to 18. Constitution and synott case.

Therefore arrange a multi disciplinary meeting and see what alternatives are available. They can’t simply refuse to educate but they do have a responsibility to all. But if your child is not able to wear a mask, they must be facilitated by some other means. Make sure you are amenable but forthright. Ask to see education plan specific and tailored to your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

joeguevara wrote: »
    I was chatting to my cousin who is a teacher in a school for children with special needs. 4-18 mild and moderate. Very surprised that all kids are wearing masks.

Therefore arrange a multi disciplinary meeting and see what alternatives are available. They can’t simply refuse to educate but they do have a responsibility to all. But if your child is not able to wear a mask, they must be facilitated by some other means. Make sure you are amenable but forthright. Ask to see education plan specific and tailored to your child.

The school has facilitated by some other means, but the parent is still claiming discrimination without actually putting forward their own alternative.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    The school has facilitated by some other means, but the school is still discriminating without actually putting forward their own alternative.

Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

It might be worth contacting the Ombudsman for Children’s Office to see if they could give any guidance or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Fixed your post

What you've "fixed" it to doesn't make sense, the school can't simultaneously have facilitated the child by other means and also not put forward their own alternative.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

joeguevara wrote: »

The OP's child was facilitated by the school. They socially distanced the student behind a screen for his protection and the protection of the other children and continued to educate him as they are legally obliged to do. It was the OP was was unhappy with that arrangement so they've basically said, if you don't have a solution then feel free to homeschool.
    It's hard to argue with that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The OP's child was facilitated by the school. They socially distanced the student behind a screen for his protection and the protection of the other children and continued to educate him as they are legally obliged to do. It was the OP was was unhappy with that arrangement so they've basically said, if you don't have a solution then feel free to homeschool.
    It's hard to argue with that to be honest.

100% agree.

Thanks for all the contributions. The school can not accommodate a pupil who has an exemption from face coverings.My son wont be back to school until the face covering directive is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Cafe i was in this morning has a new sign saying wear protection or no service and i can see things getting worse.

Advertisement