Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callaway Preowned website - anyone used Parcel Motel etc?

Options
  • 01-09-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭

One of my young lads has expressed an interest in taking up golf, so instead of buying some old starter set, I said I'd invest a bit more and get him something decent from the past year or so. Happened upon the Callaway preowned website: https://eu.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Spent the best of an hour selecting irons, woods, and wedges for him, and was about to drop the best part of £1000 when I find out the fúcking site only ships to the UK, despite the website having EU in its address.

Anyways, I wrote a fairly snotting email to them, and they replied back saying I wasn't the first to complain; they intend to add a notice to the site saying that despite it saying EU, it actually means UK, and that a small number of Irish customers had availed of An Post Address Pal.

Has anyone here ordered off the website, and if so, where did you have it shipped? I had an Uncle up North, but he died last year, so out of luck there. Interested in what shipping service you used, if you had any issue with oversized items etc.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I’ve bought from US version, better selection, better offers, but got delivered direct, comes quickly via ups but got stung for customs each times. Could use US addresspal I guess. I buy clubs from UK all the time via parcel motel, up your insurance limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

copacetic wrote: »
    I’ve bought from US version, better selection, better offers, but got delivered direct, comes quickly via ups but got stung for customs each times. Could use US addresspal I guess. I buy clubs from UK all the time via parcel motel, up your insurance limit.
    Only problem with clubs in parcel motel is there are extra charges for oversize parcels and more if you get them delivered. So I'd go with addresspal who seem to have no issue with size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

copacetic wrote: »

I know they have a better selection and better offers on the US side but what I don’t want it a 1000 euro worth of clubs suddenly becoming 1500 once I’ve paid customs on them. The UK site has a decent selection, especially as the young lad is a leftie and it’s hard find decent offers on last years clubs as most sites just order them in specifically for a leftie order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'd be borrowing a set for him to start and then see if he's going to keep at it before buying a new set.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ordered from the US site plenty of times, no issues, lightening quick shipping and you can work out the C&E in advance

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'd be borrowing a set for him to start and then see if he's going to keep at it before buying a new set.

He has played with me plenty of times, with borrowed clubs. He's keen to take it up now on a more regular basis, so I'd like him to get a decent set of clubs now rather than having to trade up in the next year or so.

slave1 wrote: »
    Ordered from the US site plenty of times, no issues, lightening quick shipping and you can work out the C&E in advance

That's interesting. How can you calculate the customs and excise? I just don't want to get stung with some nasty surprise. The US is very light with left handed iron sets at the moment, but I presume they keep getting new stock.

That's interesting. How can you calculate the customs and excise? I just don't want to get stung with some nasty surprise. The US is very light with left handed iron sets at the moment, but I presume they keep getting new stock.

Nicely laid out here...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

From memory they use UPS who I think charge €14 as a handling charge

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Think I read some place that the EU site was planning on delivering to more countries soon so that might mean delivery will be available to Ireland

benji79 wrote: »
    Think I read some place that the EU site was planning on delivering to more countries soon so that might mean delivery will be available to Ireland

I pulled the trigger and ordered via the EU/UK website using Address Pal. I'll let people know how I get on.

There's some excellent deals on the EU website at the moment, especially for lefties. They gave me a 20% off voucher as well as a result of my 'feedback' email. So ended up buying an Epic Flash 3 wood alongside the rest of the order. :o

I pulled the trigger and ordered via the EU/UK website using Address Pal. I'll let people know how I get on.

There's some excellent deals on the EU website at the moment, especially for lefties. They gave me a 20% off voucher as well as a result of my 'feedback' email. So ended up buying an Epic Flash 3 wood alongside the rest of the order. :o

Definitely let us know how it goes, I might be interested in a few bits myself

• Advertisement

Definitely let us know how it goes, I might be interested in a few bits myself

Well the order went through, and it shipped. I put in the Address Pal address in the delivery field, but when UPS sent me the shipping notification I noticed the Address Pal part of the address was missing. So my clubs are now in a UPS van to be delivered to John Flash in an industrial estate without any reference to the Address Pal service, or my unique ID.

Not ideal. Had to send another email to Callaway asking them to contact/update UPS with the correct address. In fairness they got back to me within 10 minutes saying they would. If there's a failed delivery tomorrow then UPS will contact me and I can give the proper address then.

Package is well within size and weight limits. Hope to have them by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Intrigued by this 14 day policy of returns?

If you're buying second hand is it effectively, try it out and keep if you like. Send it back if you dont like it?!

14 day return is surely the EU on-line change of mind compliance thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I’ve been buying used lately and you’d be surprised what youd get on eBay, DoneDeal adverts and even Facebook.

Received by An Post and currently in Heathrow. Might have them by Saturday at this stage.

I've ordered from the US (Texas I think) on a Monday and had them Wednesday evening!!

slave1 wrote: »
    I've ordered from the US (Texas I think) on a Monday and had them Wednesday evening!!

Jesus that’s some speedy delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

Received by An Post and currently in Heathrow. Might have them by Saturday at this stage.

Did they arrive? Any issues with them?

How did things go with the clubs?

How did things go with the clubs?

Sorry, only replying now. Clubs arrived on the Saturday morning via An Post Address Pal. €17 quid delivery.

Very impressed with the clubs. The Steelhead XR irons were advertised on the website as being 'Like New'. They were new as they hadn't been taken out of their wrappers! €420 for 4-PW with graphite shafts. I know they are 2017-18 clubs, but perfect for the young lad.

One or two scuff marks on the wedges which were advertised as 'Very Good'. Mack Daddy 3 and Mack Daddy 4.

The driver, 3 wood, 5-hybrid were advertised as 'Like New' and don't appear to have ever been used on a course. The 2019 Big Bertha 3 had one scuff mark - the sort of thing you'd have on the club after a visit to the driving range.

Came to just short of 800 with the 20% discount applied for D, 3W, 5H, 4-PW, SW, 60 wedge.

• Advertisement

€800 is good going for that many clubs which are obviously in great condition

Which driver & hybrid did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have ordered maveriks from mcguirks 6 weeks ago and still not arrived from Callaway. I paid deposit of €150 on them.
    If I had knows about callaway preowned I would have gotten from here :(.
    Could I cancel from Mcguirks at this late stage.

The clubs were +.05 longer and graphite shaft but no idea or stiffness, the lie is regular i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

I have ordered maveriks from mcguirks 6 weeks ago and still not arrived from Callaway. I paid deposit of €150 on them.

The clubs were +.05 longer and graphite shaft but no idea or stiffness, the lie is regular i think

Possibly but if they're classed as a custom order you could be caught as the specs are specific to you. I would expect some couple of bits to be thrown in extra for free for waiting that long, dozen balls or something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why would you be spending a fortune on new clubs without knowing the shaft of what you're buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

big_drive wrote: »
    Possibly but if they're classed as a custom order you could be caught as the specs are specific to you. I would expect some couple of bits to be thrown in extra for free for waiting that long, dozen balls or something

Yeah possibly that's true.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Why would you be spending a fortune on new clubs without knowing the shaft of what you're buying?

tbh he just wrote down on a piece of paper the clubs and length and price. I should have guessed him on the full specs. Ill ring now for an update and ask

I'm after derailing the thread a bit sorry

Edit: Clubs were

Maverik Max - +0.5, standard lie, regular flex - graphite

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Mcguirks should have told you about the delays with custom clubs from Callaway atm.
    I got irons from them but had to wait 5 weeks for my lob wedge.
    Taylor made driver ordered 2 weeks ago won't be here till mid/late october

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I'm sure anyone who has had clubs delivered through parcel motel or address pal have probably copped this but i did a bit of research on delivery in advance of bidding on a club on ebay later to see what was the cheapest delivery route. Found out the package dimensions from the seller and based on this, would be costing 21 euro with parcel motel but with address pal, it would be 6.50 euro delivered to the door so would be saving a 10er compared to the seller delivering straight to me and about 15 if i went the parcel motel route.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I'm sure anyone who has had clubs delivered through parcel motel or address pal have probably copped this but i did a bit of research on delivery in advance of bidding on a club on ebay later to see what was the cheapest delivery route. Found out the package dimensions from the seller and based on this, would be costing 21 euro with parcel motel but with address pal, it would be 6.50 euro delivered to the door so would be saving a 10er compared to the seller delivering straight to me and about 15 if i went the parcel motel route.....
    You can save a bit of money if you collect from the parcel motel depot instead of getting it delivered. This only makes sense if you don't have to drive miles to get there. But it is an option if you're Dublin based or within a reasonable distance. It's just off the M50 in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You can save a bit of money if you collect from the parcel motel depot instead of getting it delivered. This only makes sense if you don't have to drive miles to get there. But it is an option if you're Dublin based or within a reasonable distance. It's just off the M50 in Finglas.

That’s good to know thanks! I’d be passing it on the m50 to and from work alright so worth looking into that kind of option down the line....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

Got an email today from them, they are now shipping to Ireland as well as other EU countries.

Advertisement