Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Trading 212 Clients Beware!

• 01-09-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ outonawing

Recently, I received a dividend from Medtronic MDT. A few weeks later I checked the details and discovered that the Witholding Tax was 25%.

I emailed T212 support and suggested that the rate should've been 15%. They replied confirming that the 25% deduction was correct. I then emailed them a link to the Irish Revenue website that showed the rate is 15%. They responded with a link to another Revenue page showing a 25% rate. However, this is the rate that Irish companies must pay to Revenue.

I'm extremely disappointed with their incompetence.

Update: I'm wondering if the fact that Medtronic's head office is in Dublin, does the Irish company DWT rules apply, despite being listed on NASDAQ and paying dividends in $US.

I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the issue. Feel I may owe Trading 212 an apology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ outonawing

I've amended the opening post, anyone got advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ strmin

Yes, Medtronic is registered company in Ireland and Irish dividend withholding tax applies. It doesn't matter in what currency dividend is being paid or where it's listed.

Advertisement