Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Contract is up with Eir thinking of switching out do people find the porting process?

I found them ok to leave, had a business a/c with them.

I phoned a few times to make sure they were acknowledging that I wasn't breaking contract.

I may have been careful to allow for a month's noticed when choosing the port date (can't remember).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Contract is up with Eir thinking of switching out do people find the porting process?

Takes a couple of minutes in most cases if you do it inside the porting hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

Hi, just signed up and the porting etc has gone well. Trying to buy a membership but the app appears down for me. Is it down for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Hi, just signed up and the porting etc has gone well. Trying to buy a membership but the app appears down for me. Is it down for anyone else?

Try the gift shop, enter phone number and membership options should appear...
    https://48.ie/gift-shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

kellyj77 wrote: »

Try buy it via the website. App seems to be a bit hit & miss. Not sure if it's the amount of traffic hitting it or if they are doing maintenance in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

Great thanks. Website worked! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Yeah found the app terrible, website is the way to go.

So far on my speed tests I've gotten an average say between 10 - 20, down and around 7 - 12 up on average.

There were times where it was as low as 3 - 6 but rare and times where it went as high as 40 but again rare. 10- 20 down on average which is enough for browsing and streaming a few things without much issue.

GoMo is non existent at my current location basically. For the price, 2 or 3 sims should cover my monthly needs fine until I get broadband in.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not so I'm afraid, its a virtual network and piggy backs off the 3 network. Basically 3 direct customers get complete priority on speeds, 48 use completely different APN settings. I've warned before, anyone who is on 3 and thinks 48 will work regarding data speeds needs to be very careful. As an example, I currently get up to 40 meg speeds on 3's WiFi network, I also got as much when my phone was with them. Tried a 48 SIM, a few months back, not only were data speeds dreadful, I could not even open up speed testing app, phone calls non existent and texts delayed. 48 is not a network I would recommend if living rural, which I do and very rural at that.

This is top info. Thanks. I live in North Wicklow, close to 2 major towns and the speeds in my home for 3, which we had previously we're pretty decent, have been testing 48 for the last 3/4 days and I can't get a speedtest beyond 2 or 3mbs, so pretty useless for me. I'd recommend anyone hoping to change do plenty of speedtests with that free GB before committing

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Yeah found the app terrible, website is the way to go.

So far on my speed tests I've gotten an average say between 10 - 20, down and around 7 - 12 up on average.

There were times where it was as low as 3 - 6 but rare and times where it went as high as 40 but again rare. 10- 20 down on average which is enough for browsing and streaming a few things without much issue.

GoMo is non existent at my current location basically. For the price, 2 or 3 sims should cover my monthly needs fine until I get broadband in.
    A Three prepay SIM on the €20 unlimited-data plan might suit your needs better, especially as that plan is half-price at the moment on top-ups until the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is it correct to assume that recruiter SIMs ordered through My48 are already linked to the account and don't need to use the referral link to get the reward?

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is it correct to assume that recruiter SIMs ordered through My48 are already linked to the account and don't need to use the referral link to get the reward?
    Yes. Recruiter SIMs are linked to their parent SIM on dispatch and that can't be changed afterwards by clicking through another referral link.

Nor can non-recruiter SIMs be linked to another SIM by clicking through a referral link AFAIK.

Moral of the story, if you want the free month, make sure to order a recruiter SIM using someone else's referral link!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭whizkid9

Is there any difference in LTE/3G speeds between Virgin mobile and 48? I know both are on three network. But it seems like virgin has a slightly faster connection when tested with speedtest.net. Does anyone know if this correct? or is it just placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Received my sim yesterday. Just evaluating it versus Gomo at the moment before I decide to commit. I've been going about my day doing speed tests in all the places that matter and Gomo has come out on top in all but one instance so far, often being 2-3 times faster.

No deal breaker situations yet. It's just
    much more congested than I'd hoped. I really don't want to drop the €9.99 for life offer only to come crawling back out of frustration with Three's network.

Has anyone been roaming with 48 recently? I was on holidays in back in February and Gomo had no signal at all in Russia and barely worked on my stopover in Germany.

whizkid9 wrote: »
    Is there any difference in LTE/3G speeds between Virgin mobile and 48? I know both are on three network. But it seems like virgin has a slightly faster connection when tested with speedtest.net. Does anyone know if this correct? or is it just placebo
    I believe Virgin has dedicated bandwidth on Three so they aren't (or at least shouldn't be) impacted by the amount of other traffic on Three's infrastructure. This was a condition of the Three-O2 merger. (Two fixed-bandwidth MVNOs).

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

My wife & I ported from Vodafone. I had a slight issue but 48 Webchat sorted it no problem, very happy with 48 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

agfasfos wrote: »
    My wife & I ported from Vodafone. I had a slight issue but 48 Webchat sorted it no problem, very happy with 48 so far.

Their customer service is fantastic.

Was on 48 (€15 plan) a couple of months back then moved to VF, the €20 X plan, don't really know why, probably the back of my head about travel plans in future and VF signal but I ended up moving back to 48 last week and it's rock solid. €12 a month in the pocket and not having to worry about minutes vs VF. Only been using in Meath/ Dublin / Kildare areas this week but no complaints.

The GF is on VF and I was getting double her download speeds this morning at home. She's moving when her monthly top up runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Guys having trouble moving from GoMo.in order to port 48 looking for 10 digit billing number and only have 8 digits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

castle2012 wrote: »
    Guys having trouble moving from GoMo.in order to port 48 looking for 10 digit billing number and only have 8 digits

Put 00 in front of your gomo account number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

KildareP wrote: »
    Put 00 in front of your gomo account number

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was about to switch to gomo , but a friend who did, is now switching back, as the speeds were well down.
    They seem to be throttling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

mikeecho wrote: »
    I was about to switch to gomo , but a friend who did, is now switching back, as the speeds were well down.
    They seem to be throttling it.

Had same issues, gomo great when I switched in October, but rapidly downhill since around March, went back to vodafone for reliability, 80+mb download compared to gomo 2mb,

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Quackster wrote: »
    A Three prepay SIM on the €20 unlimited-data plan might suit your needs better, especially as that plan is half-price at the moment on top-ups until the end of October.

Yeah I had considered it, 48 offered the free sim with a gig for testing so that's why I'm with them at the moment, just moved this week so it was dead handy.

Now depending on how the traffic use is, I might just upgrade to the three sim on the 20 plan.

Does anyone know of this sim has to be activated first or could I get a similar testing period to 48. I have it in my head I have to pay first and hope it works, which would make now the best time to grab it at 10 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tamsta

Simi wrote: »
    Has anyone been roaming with 48 recently? I was on holidays in back in February and Gomo had no signal at all in Russia and barely worked on my stopover in Germany.
    I've spent couple of weeks in Baltic States this summer and after few days there I just bought local pay as go SIM card - 48 was pretty useless there (no internet, no signal every few hours etc)…

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Moved number this morning and when I login and go to memberships the €8 100GB is gone?

Just the €10 and €15 options

• Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

Moved number this morning and when I login and go to memberships the €8 100GB is gone?

Just the €10 and €15 options

Just checked, I have 4 SIMS all have 100Gb 7:99 option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Quick question. I’ve got an active €7.99 plan. I’ve now also got €8 credit. If I use that €8 to buy a membership will it stack up the membership or with the month start again from today? I’ve 18 days left on my current membership.

longcock wrote: »
    Just checked, I have 4 SIMS all have 100Gb 7:99 option

It's so weird I'm using Chrome which avoided any of the site issues too I'll keep trying thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

jarvis wrote: »
    Quick question. I’ve got an active €7.99 plan. I’ve now also got €8 credit. If I use that €8 to buy a membership will it stack up the membership or with the month start again from today? I’ve 18 days left on my current membership.

Set you membership to Auto Renew and delete your payment card and the renew will take it from the credit on your account. If you had €96 on your account the auto renew will take it every month for a year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

longcock wrote: »
    Set you membership to Auto Renew and delete your payment card and the renew will take it from the credit on your account. If you had €96 on your account the auto renew will take it every month for a year,

Just hoping I don’t unwittingly use some of the credit with a low call number or dodgy text

• Advertisement

It's so weird I'm using Chrome which avoided any of the site issues too I'll keep trying thanks

Only thing I can think of is I was with them years ago and left and rejoined this morning, however I logged in using the same email I used years ago

On to support now

Advertisement