Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Thermally-broken French-door cill - Supplier?

• 01-09-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ 10-10-20

Hi all,
    I need to find a supplier of a replacement door-cill quite quickly. Ideally it should be thermally-broken. I've tried Googling, but can only find one supplier on ebay.

It's for a replacement French door which is installed directly on the outer block without a cill (!!), leading to damp/leaks into the cavity.
    I need to replace the door, but wish to fit a cill under the new door to cover the block and also fit a DPM under both the cill and around the back of the block while the old door is out.
    This is the only one that I can find:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/150mm-Aluminium-External-cill-Window-Door-Patio-Outside-Smarts-sill-Caps-/192700815558

I can find other plain alu-cills online, but these might be a slip-hazard.

I need it 210mm deep by 1610mm long.
    The window/door company don't seem to supply them.
    Does anybody have a supplier in mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ mickdw

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need to find a supplier of a replacement door-cill quite quickly. Ideally it should be thermally-broken. I've tried Googling, but can only find one supplier on ebay.

It's for a replacement French door which is installed directly on the outer block without a cill (!!), leading to damp/leaks into the cavity.
    I need to replace the door, but wish to fit a cill under the new door to cover the block and also fit a DPM under both the cill and around the back of the block while the old door is out.
    This is the only one that I can find:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/150mm-Aluminium-External-cill-Window-Door-Patio-Outside-Smarts-sill-Caps-/192700815558

I can find other plain alu-cills online, but these might be a slip-hazard.

I need it 210mm deep by 1610mm long.
    The window/door company don't seem to supply them.
    Does anybody have a supplier in mind?

New door should come with suitable threshold.
    As for damp.proofing, pouring an insulated concrete door base with a dpc wrap similar to window cill should be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ 10-10-20

Thank you for the quick response; I thought that too. Let me revert to see if we crossed-wires on that point.
    Key thing here is to try rectify the DPC, I'm not sure if we'll be able to pour/lay a new base without turning this into a 2-day job, but I might have to think about fitting a french-drain just below the existing soil/stone line to assist the drainage at that point.

So yes, they do supply a 30mm high cill, but that's going to raise the threshold by the same, obviously. I think it was this point that we were confused on.
    So I can either source another lower-profile cill, reduce the height of the base at the door to minimise the cill, or live with the higher threshold.
    I'll toy with lowering the base for a while and see if I can do it without affecting the waterproofing of the ope.

But any names of companies which can do a cill (210*1700mm), ideally extruded alu & thermally broken, would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ mickdw

10-10-20 wrote: »
    So yes, they do supply a 30mm high cill, but that's going to raise the threshold by the same, obviously. I think it was this point that we were confused on.
    So I can either source another lower-profile cill, reduce the height of the base at the door to minimise the cill, or live with the higher threshold.
    I'll toy with lowering the base for a while and see if I can do it without affecting the waterproofing of the ope.

But any names of companies which can do a cill (210*1700mm), ideally extruded alu & thermally broken, would be appreciated.

When the door is out, it would be foolish not to install a new correct dpc and door support even if it means its a 2 day job as otherwise, you are just trying to work around a faulty detail - seeing as you say you currently have issues with water entering under door.

Just to follow-up on this - the door was fitted with a PVC threshold, but I installed a DPC below it beforehand.

Afterwards there was still a significant gap between the PVC threshold and block (allowing some flex), but I packed in semi-dry sand/cement and let it set. It's now solid and I have no leaks as the threshold overlaps the brick/render by about 3 cm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement