Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thermally-broken French-door cill - Supplier?

Options
  • 01-09-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to find a supplier of a replacement door-cill quite quickly. Ideally it should be thermally-broken. I've tried Googling, but can only find one supplier on ebay.

It's for a replacement French door which is installed directly on the outer block without a cill (!!), leading to damp/leaks into the cavity.
    I need to replace the door, but wish to fit a cill under the new door to cover the block and also fit a DPM under both the cill and around the back of the block while the old door is out.
    This is the only one that I can find:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/150mm-Aluminium-External-cill-Window-Door-Patio-Outside-Smarts-sill-Caps-/192700815558

I can find other plain alu-cills online, but these might be a slip-hazard.

I need it 210mm deep by 1610mm long.
    The window/door company don't seem to supply them.
    Does anybody have a supplier in mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need to find a supplier of a replacement door-cill quite quickly. Ideally it should be thermally-broken. I've tried Googling, but can only find one supplier on ebay.

It's for a replacement French door which is installed directly on the outer block without a cill (!!), leading to damp/leaks into the cavity.
    I need to replace the door, but wish to fit a cill under the new door to cover the block and also fit a DPM under both the cill and around the back of the block while the old door is out.
    This is the only one that I can find:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/150mm-Aluminium-External-cill-Window-Door-Patio-Outside-Smarts-sill-Caps-/192700815558

I can find other plain alu-cills online, but these might be a slip-hazard.

I need it 210mm deep by 1610mm long.
    The window/door company don't seem to supply them.
    Does anybody have a supplier in mind?

New door should come with suitable threshold.
    As for damp.proofing, pouring an insulated concrete door base with a dpc wrap similar to window cill should be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Thank you for the quick response; I thought that too. Let me revert to see if we crossed-wires on that point.
    Key thing here is to try rectify the DPC, I'm not sure if we'll be able to pour/lay a new base without turning this into a 2-day job, but I might have to think about fitting a french-drain just below the existing soil/stone line to assist the drainage at that point.

So yes, they do supply a 30mm high cill, but that's going to raise the threshold by the same, obviously. I think it was this point that we were confused on.
    So I can either source another lower-profile cill, reduce the height of the base at the door to minimise the cill, or live with the higher threshold.
    I'll toy with lowering the base for a while and see if I can do it without affecting the waterproofing of the ope.

But any names of companies which can do a cill (210*1700mm), ideally extruded alu & thermally broken, would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

10-10-20 wrote: »
    So yes, they do supply a 30mm high cill, but that's going to raise the threshold by the same, obviously. I think it was this point that we were confused on.
    So I can either source another lower-profile cill, reduce the height of the base at the door to minimise the cill, or live with the higher threshold.
    I'll toy with lowering the base for a while and see if I can do it without affecting the waterproofing of the ope.

But any names of companies which can do a cill (210*1700mm), ideally extruded alu & thermally broken, would be appreciated.

When the door is out, it would be foolish not to install a new correct dpc and door support even if it means its a 2 day job as otherwise, you are just trying to work around a faulty detail - seeing as you say you currently have issues with water entering under door.

Just to follow-up on this - the door was fitted with a PVC threshold, but I installed a DPC below it beforehand.

Afterwards there was still a significant gap between the PVC threshold and block (allowing some flex), but I packed in semi-dry sand/cement and let it set. It's now solid and I have no leaks as the threshold overlaps the brick/render by about 3 cm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement