Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Tesla Model 3 LR pulling to the left

  • 31-08-2020 6:09pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ backlashs


    Any one had any experience with this?






    Iv had the car February just under 5k on the clock,
    Have noticed the car has started pulling to the left after a trip up the Wicklow Mountains (one too many pot holes maybe),


    I have taken the car into a local tire shop to check wheel alignment,
    Only thing of note was the front left & right were "out of spec" on toe


    The issue still persists,
    Think I may need to bring it into Tesla service to have them take a look,
    Any idea how much that is going to cost?


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭ Thierry12


    Does it happen on autopilot?


  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ backlashs


    Thierry12 wrote: »
    Does it happen on autopilot?




    No, On autopilot keeps in the centre as expected


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    backlashs wrote: »
    Any one had any experience with this?






    Iv had the car February just under 5k on the clock,
    Have noticed the car has started pulling to the left after a trip up the Wicklow Mountains (one too many pot holes maybe),


    I have taken the car into a local tire shop to check wheel alignment,
    Only thing of note was the front left & right were "out of spec" on toe


    The issue still persists,
    Think I may need to bring it into Tesla service to have them take a look,
    Any idea how much that is going to cost?

    Wheel balance
    Tyre pressure
    Suspension

    If under warranty, just leave it in and let Tesla sort it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭ JPA


    Gumbo wrote: »
    Wheel balance
    Tyre pressure
    Suspension

    If under warranty, just leave it in and let Tesla sort it.

    Will it be sorted under warranty? Doesn't seem like a fault from the factory.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭ zg3409


    Is it pulling to left on braking, accelerating or when rolling? Cars are designed to drift slightly left in case driver falls asleep or drifts into oncoming traffic. Did tyre place test drive? Did they check for bulges or tyre damage? Is it only at high speed? What is the drift say per 100m travelled?

    Is there a heavy camber on the road or is the road sloped? Do you notice it on motorway roads?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,654 ✭✭✭✭ listermint


    cars are not designed to drift to the left. Your car should not be drifting to the left unless it has a problem.

    Includes Allignment, Bad Shock or spring. Tyre worn, Unbalanced wheels. Brake cylinder stuck or causing dragging. Tyre Pressure. Electric aids not working as designed.


    But no they should not go to the left for sleep....


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    listermint wrote: »
    cars are not designed to drift to the left. Your car should not be drifting to the left unless it has a problem.

    Includes Allignment, Bad Shock or spring. Tyre worn, Unbalanced wheels. Brake cylinder stuck or causing dragging. Tyre Pressure. Electric aids not working as designed.


    But no they should not go to the left for sleep....

    I always thought they drifted to the left slightly so that if something happens the driver then the car will make it's way left instead of into oncoming traffic...


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,515 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    slave1 wrote: »
    I always thought they drifted to the left slightly so that if something happens the driver then the car will make it's way left instead of into oncoming traffic...

    I'm not 100% sure, buit I think that's just an effect of camber. Roads without camber e.g. dual carriageways and motorways tend to have barriers.

    If you added engineered left drift to camber effects you'd be struggling to keep the car on the road.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭ krissovo


    slave1 wrote: »
    I always thought they drifted to the left slightly so that if something happens the driver then the car will make it's way left instead of into oncoming traffic...

    Its 100% road camber that causes drift, in most of europe they do not have camber and its a joy to drive.... Unless it rains:eek:


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    This article sees it differently
    https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/road-camber.html
    camber is critical to road drainage, at least it was when I did road design in 1974 in UCD


  • Advertisement
Advertisement