Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How frugal are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

2 year old phone
    that's nearly new
    i still own my first phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

No mortgage no phone no holidays no life.

( no chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are you happy? Genuine question.

Yes not too bad

Edit: though I should clarify I do suffer from depression. But I get satisfaction in not following the herd mentality, and hopefully retire early and get out of the rat race

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Lately I only spend about 3.50.a day since I stopped buying coffee every day(due to covid) Everything I buy is reduced to clear. All fresh food. Not processed. I treat myself to holidays abroad flying ryanair and staying in hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Honestly I am terrible with money and not in the splash all on something I want kinda way. I was the go out multiple times for food, activities, drinks and then paying for Ubers just so I don't have to leave earlier to get public transport kinda wasting. Pointless stuff as well like subscriptions I don't need.

Quarantine has been a divine intervention, at least in pecuniary related matters. Now I've moved home for a year to do a course and have a lump sum in my account from my last pay check. I'm going to make it my mission to learn to stretch that out as long as I can. I spent €40 in the last 2 weeks so off to a decent start. Planning my meals out and not being able to do too much social wise has helped. Having no savings is a source of shame for me has to be said.

However that said, I would never get hung up on keeping up with the Jones'. Phones, cars, clothing and any of that. People getting in debt just to keep up an idea of a lifestyle that's beyond their capacity to hold up comfortably is where I think, ok, I could be much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

When it comes to myself, I'm frugal. I rarely buy myself anything and when I do, it's not expensive.

When it comes to my friends and family, I'm the opposite. I constantly buy them gifts, pay for taxis on nights out, get extra rounds in or send a few quid to the ones struggling.

I'd say I'm sensible with money, having a savings buffer in my account is important to me and I won't spend what I can't afford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I buy a tin of baked beans on Tuesday so I can have a bubble bath on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm careful with money but have a patchy record on the handful of large spend purchases in most people's life which sort of cancels out my frugality in the small fry areas

I can save ~€20 k per annum. My gross income is ~€32k about €25k net of tax. I'm single and mortgage- free. I want for nothing and enjoy foreign holidays. My day to day expenses are minimal.

Is this considered frugal? I will probably be able to save more since covid as I have cut back on foreign travel and coffee out due to covid.

I'm all for not wasting money and live simply enough but doing without home comforts, or only eating reduced food or depriving yourself of things you can afford that will make life more pleasant and enjoyable isn't frugal, it's punishment. You can be sensible without being miserable with money.

You can't take it with you, and there is a world to be enjoyed and a life to be lived that you will never have a second chance to do over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'm frugal through necessity at the moment. Times are tough.

Candie wrote: »
    I'm all for not wasting money and live simply enough but doing without home comforts, or only eating reduced food or depriving yourself of things you can afford that will make life more pleasant and enjoyable isn't frugal, it's punishment. You can be sensible without being miserable with money.

You can't take it with you, and there is a world to be enjoyed and a life to be lived that you will never have a second chance to do over.

It's not punishment... I get the best quality fresh food for a fraction of the full cost. I invite friends over for meals. Furthermore, buying stuff doesnt bring happiness, experiences with people do. I said I enjoy foreign holidays. This isn't punishment. I just dont buy much stuff I dont need as I have everything already. You're being very judgmental

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I eat every other day.

Advertisement