Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Augustine Hill development told to scale down significantly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The planning parameters for the Development of Galway City are set out by Galway City Council and ABP not GB.

I'm no GB fan, and some his Developments like Edward Square in the City Centre are awful in my opinion; but he has the Development skills to get stuff designed and built in Galway City. Who do you suggest? The other big Developer who has sites in the City is the Comers. They have been sitting on big undeveloped sites in City like the Corrib Great Southern beside ATU and Galway County like the Shannon Oaks in Portumna and have not doing anything with them for nearly a decade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Does anyone have a link to the approved plans? Would like to see which buildings in the development were kept and which were chopped?

There's a direct link from the ABP page, to the original application on the GCC site which has all the plans

For some reason I can't paste the GCC link so that's the ABP link

Thank you, I got them.

Reading through the conditions, it is hard to make out which blocks had floors chopped, as they talk about blocks, then PINs (whatever that is) within blocks for floors to be removed.

I guess the developer will have some sort of mock up of the approved plan soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Who knew Forthill translates to Cnoc an Sconsa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 doyle55

The project will move to the construction stage in Spring 2024.

Start on site date listed on last line.

https://www.bdp.com/en/latest/news/2023/green-light-for-320-million-galway-masterplan/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Based on other developments in the area I would be confident on the start date in Spring 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any update on this folks.

Pics here look great but maybe out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

I was talking to someone recently that works in the construction business for one of the large developers (not involved in this) and he reckoned works are due to start in Q2 of this year.

From the second image here, does anyone know what was removed in final permission? and what height was allowed in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Gets a mention here in the Wests' biggest rag newpaper

https://www.galwaybeo.ie/news/galway-news/irish-rail-major-320-million-9211293

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Thanks for reminding me of a period in my working life when I was more connected to corporate insolvency. I took the opportunity to revisit some of the source material, which would involved a lot of material Barrett delivered under oath and may be distinguished from any self-vindicating pub talk.

You should probably read the Court of Appeal judgment on this because it sheds more light on the indebtedness of Barrett group companies, how much they were in to Deutsche Bank for and how they attempted to back away from a settlement agreement ("arrived at after lengthy deliberations and each side was represented by professional advisers of the highest calibre") when it emerged that there would be a tax liability attached to the sale of the Meyrick Hotel.

It was €97 million, not €60 million, that Deutsche Bank paid NAMA for the loans (Project Maeve) and the sale price reflects how much Barrett overpaid for the underlying assets and overleveraged the group during the Celtic Tiger years. There were many other NAMA portfolios that were sold for sums much closer to their par value. It's also worth noting that it was acknowledged by the petitioners in the examinership case that the Barrett Group were in to DB for €698 million all in.

Why there's still any goodwill towards him around Galway may well be explained in his evidence to the Oireachtas Joint Committee of Inquiry into the Banking Crisis:

2.12 Political contributions
    Our group being one of the largest indigenous employers in Galway City often had occasion to interact with public representatives, be they at a local or national level. As part of this interaction it was normal to annually receive letters demanding support for golf classics or other fundraising initiatives. Another form of interaction that did take place on occasion was support for the Labour Party in the Galway West constituency, in the form of provision of office accommodation during
    election periods.

2.13 Lobbying
    This office did not engage in lobbying as described. lts interactions with public representatives often took the form of briefings to describe the advantage of development in in certain areas vis-)-vis job creation. lnvitations were often extended to public representatives, business groups and civic leaders when such briefings were taking place. lt was up to those individuals to attend whether they saw fit.

Galway, remains easily impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

So is he broke after all that? or did he manage to walk away still a multi millionaire.

i remember he bought Taffes on shop street for 26 million and I think the corrib great southern too.

it amazes me the pyramid of companys and how as separate enitys one can fall but not topple another.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Advertisement