Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is mowing my front lawn?

Options
  • 29-08-2020 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

As the title reads, recently moved in to a house that has been empty for some time, so in that time I imagine the lawn got quite over grown and unsightly, so it would appear someone decided to maintain it under their own steam.Im living in the house about 6 weeks and in that time, this good Samaritan has continued to mow the lawn. I haven't caught them in the act due to long working hours, social commitments etc, How you the boards community react to this behavior falling short of knocking on doors asking "are you mowing my lawn"? While I really do appreciate the gesture, it's quite embarrassing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Jb1989

As the title reads, recently moved in to a house that has been empty for some time, so in that time I imagine the lawn got quite over grown and unsightly, so it would appear someone decided to maintain it under their own steam.Im living in the house about 6 weeks and in that time, this good Samaritan has continued to mow the lawn. I haven't caught them in the act due to long working hours, social commitments etc, How you the boards community react to this behavior falling short of knocking on doors asking "are you mowing my lawn"? While I really do appreciate the gesture, it's quite embarrassing

Just mow the lawn yourself a few days quicker than this person usually does and they'll get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

By thankful you have good neighbours.

Check who cuts the areas outside the houses in the estate, probably them, and just say thanks. Or keep it cut yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Just mow the lawn yourself a few days quicker than this person usually does and they'll get the message.

This seems to be the obvious solution! It was probably an eyesore while the house was vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Get up off your arse and start cutting the grass yourself.

Stop using excuses, it does not take that long to cut a lawn.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't open me gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Leave a note duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

kravmaga wrote: »

But what if OP gets a ride on?

Happy4all wrote: »
    By thankful you have good neighbours.

Check who cuts the areas outside the houses in the estate, probably them, and just say thanks. Or keep it cut yourself.

They're probably laying claim to it. Never trust a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

You're lucky you didn't post this in the Legal forum - by this point somebody would be warning you that The Phantom Grass Cutter is simply trying to lay claim to the property using Adverse Possession!!

P.S. Does he secretly trim your bush too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

My mother has a house in Wexford and regularly mows the neighbours lawn out the front. There's no fence or anything and it's very small. It probably takes 2 minutes to do both lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

They're probably laying claim to it. Never trust a neighbour.
    You're lucky you didn't post this in the Legal forum - by this point somebody would be warning you that The Phantom Grass Cutter is simply trying to lay claim to the property using Adverse Possession!!

P.S. Does he secretly trim your bush too?

:)

:)

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Are they doing a good job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Maybe it's a leprechaun mowing grass

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Say nothing and be grateful.

Light a candle for them each yime it gets done

Give a donation to a local charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I'm confused, what excuses am I making?

Jb1989 wrote: »

You're right, I must get a lawnmower, I'd also like to thank this person all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Make sure they are doing the back passage too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi Boardsies,

I recently moved into my house. I've discovered that I am surrounded by very helpful neighbours, with a wonderful community spirit. In the limbo between signing for the house and taking possession, these wonderful neighbours have taken it upon themeselves to maintain my front garden. Instead of moving into messy weed filled overgrown garden, it has been lovingly tended in my absence. How delighted I am.
    I'm considering making a lovely cake and bringing it round to the person who has continued to mow my lawn while I get settled in - which is taking a while due to my long working hours. Its great to discover such wonderful people living beside me.

Any suggestions as to how I can completely fnck this up? ?

:pac::pac::D:D:D

Hey OP, be delighted with your new neighbours, a friendly overture is probably a good start - that's what they've done. Don't be put out by this, embrace it. Its a very good beginning.

Good luck in your new house, sounds like you've struck gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

You're right, I must get a lawnmower, I'd also like to thank this person all the same.

Working long hours and social life??? Rubbish excuse.

I work long hours and I still have time to cut my front and back lawns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Do you use a razor or clippers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just buy a bottle of whisky and leave it in a bag just inside the front door.

When you eventually meet your benefactor thank them profusely and hand over the whisky saying you will take over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

I cut your lawn.
    Son, we live in a world that has lawns, and those lawns have to be cut by men and women with lawnmowers. Who's gonna do it? You?
    I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps overlooking the smooth lawn that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a lawnmower and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Leave a note.
    Asking would they mind doing the back aswell?

I never suggested I don't have time to cut my own lawn. I merely noted that I have yet to catch the kind stranger due to aforementioned "excuses".

You appear to have some lawn related chip on your shoulder. Care to talk about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Leave a large flower pot or object in the lawn with an envelope and €50 and a note in it. When he moves the flowerpot he will find it.

If you dont want to buy a mower, maybe you could offer him a hundred or two a year depending on size. It could be a retired person, happy to waste 20min or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Have they trimmed your bush too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭893bet

Get a horse and tie it to tree outside to keep the grass down. Neighbours will love that kinda of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

That’s because you don’t have a social life.

Advertisement