Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your worst interview experience/ meltdown?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Had one for a hotel supervisors job before.

Typical family run space, it would mean we would have had to up sticks and move closer to the spot if I got the job.

Took the day off with the missus and we had a look around the area, stopped and even had dinner in the place I would be interviewed for to check it out.

All seemed grand until interview time.

First up was the questionnaire inclusive of intimate details. Weird ass questions about how many siblings I had and what ages my children were (didn't even have any at the time). That was an obvious red flag.

I declined to fill out that information, and come the sit down interview the owner/manager takes one peek at my CV and then turns to the form, starts asking me why these sections are blank. I responded saying that I didn't really find it relevant to the job I was applying for to which he said: 'I'll decide what's relevant'

Knew then and there I wouldn't be taking the job even if offered, enough bad experiences in my youth with family run businesses to know that he was trouble.

Interview continues and his phone rings twice, he answers and starts roaring at his wife to pick up the kids down the phone. I waited for him to finish then stood up and made my excuses.

It was a lovely spot, but I've no idea how anyone could work for that fella at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I had an interview scheduled for 12 noon. I walked in to the interview room and said "good morning". The reply I got was "good afternoon" ...........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Someone quoted that scene in Trainspotting earlier where Renton has to deliberately fail an interview. Something a little like that happened to me.

Was informed I'd be made redundant, but they'd try to transfer me to a similar job elsewhere in the company. Saw the job spec and wasn't interested. Found out I'd be paid a redundancy of 38 weeks pay if I didn't get the job.....

So I needed to interview for the alternative job, not make it look like I was completely taking the piss but deliberately fail it so I'd get the redundancy. To my amazement, I passed the first interview - the interviewer looked about 21 and talked for about 30 minutes, then it was over and I was informed I'd progressed to the second round.

Second round, interviewer was my future manager. At one point this happened:
    "So this is the technology you'd be working with, is that something you'd be interested in?"
    "Honestly, no."

Few days later, I got a call saying "Really sorry, but you haven't been successful in applying for the job" - Jumped up and down with joy and collected my redundancy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm really astonished that 2 people on here have said that they have only ever failed 1 or 2 interviews in their whole lives.

I have failed literally dozens of interviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I went for a permanent job where they already had someone lined up (the boss's cousin). I had worked there for a year previously, the cousin wouldn't have had much experience.

I did a great interview and the panelists had warmed to me. I thought the interview was over. Then the boss kind of abruptly asked what I do in my spare time. I had already answered that earlier in the interview, so I just went, "As I mentioned..." and gave them the rundown again.

When I finished, they said, "Yeah, but besides that, what do you do at home like."

So I told them about stuff I did at home. They waited for me to finish and said "And what else?"

I just branched out from my original point a bit, but it was a bizarre line of questioning verging on a grilling or inquisition. I genuinely think they were hoping I would lose patience, but it was the strangest way to go about it.

They didn't give me the permanent job, just another temporary job because they claimed that having applied for both jobs put me at a disadvantage. I got a permanent job elsewhere within two months and from what I hear from former colleagues, the place is an absolute nightmare to work now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Having been made redundant after 16 plus years I had very little interview experience. SO my first interview was all in all a disaster. It was for an office role, 3 people interviewing me nearly every single question I answered yes , no, yes, no !!
    Absolute nightmare, guy interviewing rang and said we love your cv but guess you are nervous so he met me on his own, got through to the director but did not get the role, as it turns out company went into liquidation 4 months later so it was a blessing! I got the next role I interviewed for .

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm really astonished that 2 people on here have said that they have only ever failed 1 or 2 interviews in their whole lives.

I have failed literally dozens of interviews.

It can actually be a good sign that you are failing at interviews, it might mean you are going for roles that could be considered a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Cake Man

About 5 years ago, went for an interview one boiling hot summers day here in Sydney. Made the brainless decision to change into a suit pants and shirt in my car (which was like a sauna) in an effort to save time as I was leaving from the place I was working at at the time around midday. Was already sweating buckets after this ordeal so pumped on the air con on the journey there.
    Anyway, the place was located on a fairly busy main road, it had one small entrance that was easily missed and if you did miss it you’d have to do a big loop around. Of course I missed it and by this stage it was about 25 mins to the interview. Ended up having to park at a nearby large shopping centre and walk across. Getting out of the shopping centre itself took an age so by the time I eventually get out into the blazing midday sun it was less than 10mins to interview. Knowing I was going to be dead late combined with pre-interview nerves I was absolutely p!ssing out sweat. Ended up running for a bit to save time as I was still a fair bit away. Here was this clown sprinting down the road in 35 degree heat in a suit.
    Finally got there nearly ten mins late, shaking with sweat and out of breath. I’d say I looked an absolute mess. My face was as red as a tomato and whole head was like I just stood under a shower of water. Interviewers took me in and offered some water and tissues to continuously wipe the beads of sweat dripping from my forehead. It was a distraction as I could see them kinda glance at this unfolding disaster every few seconds in disgust.
    Interview wasn’t great and needless to say I didn’t get the job. I’d say they had some laugh at me after I left.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Went for an entry level job when I was about 18 or 19. Got a bus into town to be in plenty of time for the interview. On the way the bus pulled over to the side of the road and sat there for a couple of minutes with no explanation. Eventually the driver made an announcement that a passenger downstairs was unwell and that we were waiting for an ambulance. Even though we were literally a couple of minutes away from St. Vincent's, the ambulance took ages and I was inevitably late for the interview. When I arrived I apologised and explained the reason for my tardiness, but I could tell from the response I got and the manner of the person who came to reception to get me that they didn't believe me and I knew I was wasting my time even going into the interview. The company left Ireland a couple of years later so I didn't miss out on too much it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Went for an interview for a call centre in which the interviewer shat himself just as we had exchanged introductions- no silent accident either. There was a loud shart and his facial expression said it all. Disappeared out of the room until a receptionist came in 10 mins later asking me if it would be ok to reschedule -‘never did go back for the 2nd attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Have always been terrible at interviews and I regularly hire managers and tech staff so its not like I don't know what I am supposed to say. Every now an then I know I am getting a job through contacts or just don't give a sh1t and fly through them.
    Was trying to move back to to Ireland years ago after a long spell in the US and hr rand me to schedule an interview while I was back in Ireland. 9 a.m. on a Friday morning. One of the reasons I was back was a stag for a mate from the US which started on the Thursday night. I told your one that I'd be reeking of booze at 9 am so any chance of making it an afternoon interview. She did! and I breezed through the interview half cut and got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

I will definitely remember my interview.

So when I was about 19 I developed interest in air traffic control. Having spent numerous hours playing Microsoft flight simulator X and having a really good fun I decided to try my luck in real life after I graduated college. So this was two years ago in 2018.

So there were 8 people interviewing me all being experienced ATCs. I kid you not I was sh****ng myself. I was asked to speak to them and write at the same time while filling out a form in my head and also doing some numbers, additionally making this cube out of pieces they have left on the table. I have been asked a lot of strange questions that you'd never get asked on a normal interview, such as can I point the north from where I'm sitting, if you rotate 1140 degrees how many turns you'd have done or have I read this and that book etc...

Got the job in the end but dropped out during last stage of the training due to immense stress. I've spent 14 months in training and discovered my weaknesses. I'm quite happy I went through this process. I'm a different person now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

After graduation, was applying for everything half relevant regardless of experience level etc, had gotten to and been rejected by a good few companies at interview at this stage.

Applied to an ad at a local manufacturing company, spec said 3-5 years experience but I was in "Fcuk it mode". Got called for interview to my surprise. Day of the interview it was pissing raining. I got a taxi to the factory, got the address and ended up walking rest of the way in the rain. When I got there a Tech greeted me and l then saw him go to the phone. Turns out this was just their production building, their office was in another building on the other side of the same industrial estate. The production manager gave me a lift up to it thankfully.

Now I had been used to and prepared for a pretty standard interview of 45mins to 1 hour with the usual range of questions. What actually happened was an intensive 3 hour technical grilling from company director and head engineer that seemed determined to check had I understood what had been learned in all 4 years of Engineering modules. Nice people to be fair but I was definitely gasping for air at the end of.

A week later got "the call" went with a more experienced candidate etc. I thought grand,I expected that. Got a job with a start up a few weeks later. The Wednesday after starting the new job I got a call back from the first company saying they were expanding their tech team, would I still be interested. They weren't interviewing for the advertised role by the look of things, they already had something else in mind. The thing is , I liked the company and if they were clearer/more upfront about Id prob be working for them now. Sin é.

I went for a graduate position in the hottest meeting room ever and I was in a big suit. My head started to swim from the heat and I took on a thousand-yard stare. At the end this happened:
    "So there'd be some paperwork we'd need to you to fill out if you got the position. .... You do want the position don't you?"
    (a pause about 1 second too long)
    "Oh yes, I do."

Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Got dumped by my gf and had to move in with my best friend. Anyway after a couple of months he got pissy about me not paying rent. He basically forced me into an interview for this ****ty office he used to work at. I had no choice but to do the interview. I tried come to across as lazy and useless but your one interviewing me seemed to really like me. I panicked and did this facial spasm thing to make it look like I was a freak.

Must have worked because I didn't get the job. Friend was pretty pissed though.

Ok Jeremy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

An interview where the interviewer was about an hour late.
    He was in an angry mood. He had cut his finger badly and thought he shouldn't be there, and was only there because I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Once interviewed for the milkrounds in one of the Big 4 many moons ago. After the competency based interview you are interviewed by one of the partners. When the secretary called me she actually apologised and said that the guy who would be interviewing me is very difficult to deal with.

Went in and he looked absolutely disgusted when I held my hand out for the customary handshake. He didn't once thereafter look at me in interview and he continued doing his work. He proceeded to cut me off everytime I went to answer one of his questions. For example, he asked me to discuss the most recent project that I had done in college. I had just mentioned the name of the project and he would shut me down by saying alright I've heard enough.

The final nail in the coffin was when he made it very clear that my gender was the issue. He asked me why he should hire a "girl" over the three brilliant, educated young men he had interviewed earlier that day and proceeded to tell me all about their achievements. This guy was of a particular religion. I had never been made feel so unwelcome in my own country by a foreigner.

As I was leaving, the secretary called me over and apologised again. She said that he treats them all that way (female colleagues) and that she hoped that this ****ty experience wouldn't ruin my confidence going into other interviews and that I would end up somewhere better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Kylta wrote: »
    I done an interview years ago for a job (won't divulge where). But during the interview I actually got cramp in my leg, leading me to utter those famous words at the top of my lungs (****ing cramp) also sending the table I was sitting at going sideways into the interview panel, and I then proceeded to start hobbling around the interview room(I reckon they thought I was nuts ) in pain trying to walk the cramp off which didn't really work. In fairness they offered to postpone the interview, but I carried on anyway hobbling around the room answering questions with a grimace.
    Needless to say I didn't get the job. And that story is a 100% true

Please tell me there's a video of this...

Advertisement