Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hub - €59.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Can anyone tell me if the speaker on these is as good/better than the Nest Mini in their experience? The difference between the Nest Mini and the original Home Mini is night and day despite similar official specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the speaker on these is as good/better than the Nest Mini in their experience? The difference between the Nest Mini and the original Home Mini is night and day despite similar official specs.

As in better or worse?

As in better or worse?

Sure? Although I assume it's not worse as the physical size of the device is larger. My assumption is that it's the same internal components but I'd like someone with experience to weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Did not need this.
    Bought one for the kitchen.

Thank you.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Sure? Although I assume it's not worse as the physical size of the device is larger. My assumption is that it's the same internal components but I'd like someone with experience to weigh in.

I have the original home minis and I would say they're a little louder than the home hub. Still love the hub, though.... Use it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

was literally about to buy this yesterday when i bought a nest mesh.

didn't.

am now.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Is this same as Echo Show

torrevieja wrote: »
    Is this same as Echo Show

The Echo show has a camera for video conferencing. This doesn't. Otherwise it's the same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Thanks OP, always considered buying one, this is a great deal so picked one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Did not need this

I think that applies to 99.9% of the bargains on here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Hi
    Genuine question
    How does this differ from using the screen on your phone ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

SheroP wrote: »
    Hi
    Genuine question
    Thanks in advance

It doesn't have the same functionality as a phone. You can't load apps into it. I use mine everyday as a radio, photo album player, Spotify, play podcasts, clock and then just to ask a few questions like Alexa.
    Its great.

Brego888 wrote: »
    It doesn't have the same functionality as a phone. You can't load apps into it. I use mine everyday as a radio, photo album player, Spotify, play podcasts, clock and then just to ask a few questions like Alexa.
    Its great.

But your phone can do all that!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's a great device if you have other smart devices, and acts as a photo display device when idle. I've had one a few years and have never had any issues with it.

It's the first thing I look at when somebody presses my Nest Hello doorbell! :)

Don't expect amazing audio. The larger version (not available in Ireland) does make it seem small, but at €59.99 this is good value.

SheroP wrote: »
    Hi
    Genuine question
    Thanks in advance

It can't do anything your phone can't, but it's a great addition to our house. It sits on the kitchen windowsill and flicks through a preset photo album from Google Photos, so it just looks like a photo frame most of the time.

Some of the things I regularly use it for:

- Cooking timer
    - Watching YouTube videos when doing stuff in the kitchen
    - Turning on/off smart devices in the house
    - Getting the weather forecast in the morning
    - Setting reminders
    - Adding items to our shopping list

Yeah, my phone can do all of these things, but I don't regret buying this. It's actually one of my favourite tech purchases over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Basil3 wrote: »

These devices like Echo Show also are meant as fixed units in the kitchen or bedroom (as alarm clock replacement usually). Sure a phone can do everything now but a phone is meant as a personal devices where these devices are location devices shared among the family.

We have a couple of Echo Shows and they are used everyday. One in bedroom is very useful as alarm clock, goodnight to turn off lights, show security camera when you hear something etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

But I don't carry my phone with me all the time, the audio is much better and the hub is plugged in all the time and never runs out of battery!
    Photos is set to recognise my family only so cycles through thousands of my Google photos.
    I also control my lights, plug sockets etc through my hub.
    And have a few minis around the house too so when playing music i can have it on in any room I want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think that applies to 99.9% of the bargains on here :pac:
    Agreed.

Just bought one of these. :pac:

Brego888 wrote: »
    But I don't carry my phone with me all the time, the audio is much better and the hub is plugged in all the time and never runs out of battery!
    Photos is set to recognise my family only so cycles through thousands of my Google photos.
    I also control my lights, plug sockets etc through my hub.
    And have a few minis around the house too so when playing music i can have it on in any room I want.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Have one, and love it.

I had to create a specific Photos album for the hub, though. Allowing it to put any ones from my family ended up with a few undesirable photos displaying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Mini is, also reduced, to €39.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks OP.
    Needed a replacement for a mini in the kitchen. This'll do nicely instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Have one, and love it.

I had to create a specific Photos album for the hub, though. Allowing it to put any ones from my family ended up with a few undesirable photos displaying :pac:

That's what I'm worried about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That's what I'm worried about!!

You're in control as you have to specifically tell the Hub what photos to show. You go into its settings from the Home app and you can select which folders to show. Also, you don't have to use the photo frame aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I have a Sonos One speaker in the kitchen. This has Google Home functionality built in.

In practice, the Sonos is a good speaker but a glitchy Google Home experience. I think I could pair it with the Hub which might justify a purchase.

Then I could switch off the mic on the Sonos but leave it as the play back speaker for the Hub. Hmmm.

You're in control as you have to specifically tell the Hub what photos to show. You go into its settings from the Home app and you can select which folders to show. Also, you don't have to use the photo frame aspect of it.

My main problem when just using 'Friends and Family' is that I would have photos of exes from over a decade ago showing up, with my kids asking who this woman is etc :P

Now I just have an album called 'Photo Frame' that I add to every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭jacool

My main problem when just using 'Friends and Family' is that I would have photos of exes from over a decade ago showing up, with my kids asking who this woman is etc :P

Now I just have an album called 'Photo Frame' that I add to every now and then.
    Its not the kids I'd be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ordered yesterday, shipped from the Netherlands and is now out for delivery via DHL so I'll have it today. That's good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

JDxtra wrote: »
    Ordered yesterday, shipped from the Netherlands and is now out for delivery via DHL so I'll have it today. That's good service.

Same as, unreal. Very specific time for delivery.....up to 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ordered mine Wednesday night and it arrived this morning. Amazon should take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ordered mine Wednesday night and it arrived this morning. Amazon should take note.

Just took delivery of mine there now.

Advertisement