Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Rules question - Rule 17, Yellow v Red Stakes

  • 26-08-2020 1:06pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ BraveDonut


    I have looked this rule up online and still not sure that I have clear answer.

    "When it is known or virtually certain" that your ball is in a penalty area, what are the difference in options for Yellow v Red stakes?

    I always thought that Yellow meant that you can drop as far back from the hazard penalty area as you wanted but a Red meant 2 club lengths.

    I was corrected on this at the weekend.

    Can anyone simply explain the difference? The rules text is making me fall asleep when reading it


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have looked this rule up online and still not sure that I have clear answer.

    "When it is known or virtually certain" that your ball is in a penalty area, what are the difference in options for Yellow v Red stakes?

    I always thought that Yellow meant that you can drop as far back from the hazard penalty area as you wanted but a Red meant 2 club lengths.

    I was corrected on this at the weekend.

    Can anyone simply explain the difference? The rules text is making me fall asleep when reading it

    The rules of golf explain it pretty good.

    Yellow you have 2 options, replay your shot or go back on the line of entry keeping the flag in line with that point, as far as you like.

    Red you have the above 2 options but you have also the 2 club lengths from the point of entry. Usually with red its hard to take the option of going back on the line of entry.


  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ BraveDonut


    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    etxp wrote: »
    The rules of golf explain it pretty good.

    Yellow you have 2 options, replay your shot or go back on the line of entry keeping the flag in line with that point, as far as you like.

    Red you have the above 2 options but you have also the 2 club lengths from the point of entry. Usually with red its hard to take the option of going back on the line of entry.

    You can also go full van der Velde in both.


  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ pakman


    etxp wrote: »
    The rules of golf explain it pretty good.

    Yellow you have 2 options, replay your shot or go back on the line of entry keeping the flag in line with that point, as far as you like.

    Red you have the above 2 options but you have also the 2 club lengths from the point of entry. Usually with red its hard to take the option of going back on the line of entry.

    I didn't know you could line of entry on red posts. I really should know the rules better for someone playing as many years as I have.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have looked this rule up online and still not sure that I have clear answer.

    "When it is known or virtually certain" that your ball is in a penalty area, what are the difference in options for Yellow v Red stakes?

    I always thought that Yellow meant that you can drop as far back from the hazard penalty area as you wanted but a Red meant 2 club lengths.

    I was corrected on this at the weekend.

    Can anyone simply explain the difference? The rules text is making me fall asleep when reading it
    Basically red means a lateral PA. A simplified explanation is that it usually runs alongside a hole meaning that there's a possibility that you can drop either side of it. The diagram below shows this option.


    diagram17-1dii-eng.png?ts=20200826t0619219733


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    PARlance wrote: »
    You can also go full van der Velde in both.

    That goes without saying. I wonder how often he thinks of doing that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    etxp wrote: »
    That goes without saying. I wonder how often he thinks of doing that?
    By all accounts (or at least according to his ex-wife - a friend of a friend met her a couple of years ago) he was completely unliveable with after that incident. Obviously something she remedied. ;)


Advertisement