Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rules question - Rule 17, Yellow v Red Stakes

• 26-08-2020 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I have looked this rule up online and still not sure that I have clear answer.

"When it is known or virtually certain" that your ball is in a penalty area, what are the difference in options for Yellow v Red stakes?

I always thought that Yellow meant that you can drop as far back from the hazard penalty area as you wanted but a Red meant 2 club lengths.

I was corrected on this at the weekend.

Can anyone simply explain the difference? The rules text is making me fall asleep when reading it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

BraveDonut wrote: »

"When it is known or virtually certain" that your ball is in a penalty area, what are the difference in options for Yellow v Red stakes?

I always thought that Yellow meant that you can drop as far back from the hazard penalty area as you wanted but a Red meant 2 club lengths.

Can anyone simply explain the difference? The rules text is making me fall asleep when reading it

The rules of golf explain it pretty good.

Yellow you have 2 options, replay your shot or go back on the line of entry keeping the flag in line with that point, as far as you like.

Red you have the above 2 options but you have also the 2 club lengths from the point of entry. Usually with red its hard to take the option of going back on the line of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

etxp wrote: »

Yellow you have 2 options, replay your shot or go back on the line of entry keeping the flag in line with that point, as far as you like.

Red you have the above 2 options but you have also the 2 club lengths from the point of entry. Usually with red its hard to take the option of going back on the line of entry.

You can also go full van der Velde in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I didn't know you could line of entry on red posts. I really should know the rules better for someone playing as many years as I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

BraveDonut wrote: »

Basically red means a lateral PA. A simplified explanation is that it usually runs alongside a hole meaning that there's a possibility that you can drop either side of it. The diagram below shows this option.

diagram17-1dii-eng.png?ts=20200826t0619219733

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

PARlance wrote: »
    You can also go full van der Velde in both.

That goes without saying. I wonder how often he thinks of doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That goes without saying. I wonder how often he thinks of doing that?
    By all accounts (or at least according to his ex-wife - a friend of a friend met her a couple of years ago) he was completely unliveable with after that incident. Obviously something she remedied. ;)

Advertisement