Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's New York City - better or worse than today?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Are you serious? That is an insane ticket price. I thought the Guinness Storehouse was bad. And at least a drink is included there.

It's the walk up ticket price, they punish you for buying on the day, they want everyone to book in advance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's the walk up ticket price, they punish you for buying on the day, they want everyone to book in advance...

What's the advance ticket price?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What's the advance ticket price?

35ish, cheaper still if you get one of those sightseeing passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

For me New York is the greatest city in the world, I was there 7 years ago with my then girlfriend and it was the best week of my life. Literally a million things to do and met loads of lovely people. Some cities like Rome and Paris are overratted, NY certainly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 genius200iq

We are going to find out soon, the current Mayor is on the Defund police train, already done some cuts and what do you know , crime is rising.
    Interesting social experiment unfolding before our eyes, usually USA leads the way and the rest of the world follows, i don't see this being popular around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Always on the radio around 1979/1980 in NYC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

KungPao wrote: »
    More of a question for Reddit, no?

I’m sure the vast majority of folk here know shag all about New York City, me included.

I like Seinfeld, if that helps? And Rudy Giuliani was in it too.

I like Rudy.
    You'd be surprised how many Irish people born before the 1980s spent years in New York either as emigrants or rites of passage for a few years in their youth or even just J1s. Add relatives who would visit frequently and there's a large % of us Irish who are familiar with NYC. It's true, I don't hear of millennials or younger people heading off to live there or anywhere abroad in general as much in recent years. No doubt Ireland's belated prosperity helped to keep people at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

ongarboy wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many Irish people born before the 1980s spent years in New York either as emigrants or rites of passage for a few years in their youth or even just J1s. Add relatives who would visit frequently and there's a large % of us Irish who are familiar with NYC. It's true, I don't hear of millennials or younger people heading off to live there or anywhere abroad in general as much in recent years. No doubt Ireland's belated prosperity helped to keep people at home.

There’s similar numbers in Canada and Australia from last recession. America is no longer attractive to the young Irish.

Gun crime up 87%, murders up 34% and burglary up 43% are the NYC figures for this year to date. Burglary figure is with people at home more too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

hynesie08 wrote: »
    35ish, cheaper still if you get one of those sightseeing passes.

That's still insane for climbing a building!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The states as a whole has gotten fairly pricey, relative to here. In the 2000s Ireland was quite expensive compared to the US. But we haven't had much inflation in over a decade, seriously a pint hardly costs more than it did in 2007, while the US has.

Accommodation in nyc is so expensive even in tourist hostels compared to big European cities. Even if I got a dirt cheap flight that's one other reason I wouldn't do there again.
    I cant believe it's so expensive to eat out. Anytime I visited US it made me frightened to see such impoverished homeless people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement