Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm Thinking of Ending Things [Netflix]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I done the same in my last post. I’d say we’re good to freely discuss. Sure the spoilers would probably benefit some people before watching it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Hallaz

I think I liked it but not sure!
    Some moments had my full attention, other scenes i phased out on.
    After credits rolled vehicle was still trying to start?

Really just came on to say i thought i really enjoyed the performance Jessie Buckley. I had no idea who she was or that she was Irish. This sort of performance encourages me to seek out her other work, a job well done on her part.

Going to watch Bill and Ted movie to wind down to a normal level now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What I liked:

The acting was very good especially from the two main protagonists. That wan from Chernobyl and the new Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hope to see more big roles from them soon.
    I was quite captivated by it especially the first half. I really enjoyed the extended car journey dialogue scenes that I found somewhat hypnotic.
    It quickly became apparent that this is a 'what the hell is going on movie' and I enjoyed tying to pick up clues from the dialogue.
    It was quite funny at times and found myself laughing out loud.

What I didn't like:

It was too long. Particularly some of the scenes in the final 1/4 were too long.
    I guessed correctly the final outcome at least 30mins before the end. Which left me wondering for the remainder how he was going to do it. I do think thought 'freezing to death' was mentioned somewhere along the line. From that point onward I'd somewhat lost interest. I was hoping I was wrong, that I was 'fooled' but no. As a result I found myself not being particularly interested in trying to figure out exactly what happened in his younger life and it all seemed a bit too sad which wasn't the tone of the first half.

Enjoyed it overall. Not brilliant but very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Hallaz wrote: »
    Really just came on to say i thought i really enjoyed the performance Jessie Buckley. I had no idea who she was or that she was Irish. This sort of performance encourages me to seek out her other work, a job well done on her part.
    She was the main reason I had wanted to watch the film in the first place, and really enjoyed her performance. Hopefully she'll be better recognised with this (and has a good agent).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I liked it. Very quirky. I hadn't a clue what it was about before watching and was pleasantly surprised. All very dreamlike until the aha moment towards the end. Saying that, my aha was wrong. I thought it was her. But it wasn't. Not going to rewatch but worth the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Really liked it too. Something hypnotic or maybe therapeutic about it. Like taking a beautiful and complex Rorschach test. Wangles you into a bit of uncomfortable introspection. Original and very clever.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

What an absolute load of bollocks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

tastyt wrote: »

It's rare a single sentence sums up a film so beautifully. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Looks really interesting, had been searching through Netflix for watchable stuff lately but completely missed this.

Looks from the trailer that you may need to bring your brain along for this one, so probably not suitable for the gogglebox regulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Some people just don't get it and get all bothered and then call things bollocks

begbysback wrote: »
    Looks really interesting, had been searching through Netflix for watchable stuff lately but completely missed this.

Looks from the trailer that you may need to bring your brain along for this one, so probably not suitable for the gogglebox regulars.

I'm a Googlebox regular, and loved this, though I think I know what you mean. It would probably be pegged as belonging in the 'arty' section, as a code for 'pretentious'- what with it's philosophical leanings and unconventional narrative- but really it's a clever mystery drama. Definitely not for those that like to be spoon-fed explanations and answers (though Gogglebox watchers need not necessarily be put off :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

begbysback wrote: »

No need for the brain. Like most decent flixs, turning the phone off and paying attention does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ah the old if you didn’t like it you didn’t really understand it . Of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I'm a Googlebox regular, and loved this, though I think I know what you mean. It would probably be pegged as belonging in the 'arty' section, as a code for 'pretentious'- what with it's philosophical leanings and unconventional narrative- but really it's a clever mystery drama. Definitely not for those that like to be spoon-fed explanations and answers (though Gogglebox watchers need not necessarily be put off :))

Just finished watching it there, the reason I didn’t see it on Netflix is likely because I only had a 65% match. Over 2 hours long and that’s noticeable, if it’s going to go a bit tales of the unexpected then 2 hours is too long, felt like giving up a few times during those 2 hours but stuck it out and strangely glad I did. Think this film needs to sink in first before I try make sense of it but first judgements would be that the dialogue between them overall is pretty good though changes rapidly, and that some parts are really empty and it didn’t hold my concentration a number of times.

What this film really needs is it’s own YouTube explanation on Like Stories of Old, really hope he does a review if this because I’m a bit lost, though I have a feeling the director intended that I would be.

And no disrespect intended to the gogglebox regulars, but you are watching people watching the tv. Actually no, you are watching people acting like they are watching the tv!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ah the old if you didn’t like it you didn’t really understand it . Of course

Or the old i didn't understand it so its bollocks.......

You were so eloquent in explaining why it was bollocks.

If you can't even post anything of substance then it is no surprise why people will dismiss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

hayoc wrote: »
    Looks interesting. I like Jessie Buckley, very compelling screen presence.

She is a great actress, one of best working today imho, must catch this soon

Advertisement