Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple, Healthy, Satisfying Dishes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I recently had to up my vegetable intake.
    I go for the packs of frozen mixed vegetables.

First I was doing ordinary mixed vegetables, rosted with some mozzerella slices melted on the top. (Sliced Mozzerella is on sale in Dunnes now. I find it easier to manage week by week than the other preperations of Mozzeralla)

Another, for the more finley chopped stir fry vegetables, is buy a bottle of soy sauce and oyster sauce. Just pour them on to your hearts content after giving the vegetables a cook.

The stir fry vegetables would be fine in your crok-pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fresh cauliflowers are excellent and generous just now. If cheese sauce is too much to make, grated or sliced cheese is grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I have a pack of boneless chicken breast fillets (got them on sale, then froze them as I didn't really know what to do with them.) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I have a pack of boneless chicken breast fillets (got them on sale, then froze them as I didn't really know what to do with them.) :o

When I have an ingredient I want to use, I go to the BBC Good Food site. I put the ingredient in the search box, add some filters for the meal I want to prepare and see what comes up. Good inspiration and the recipes are easy enough to follow.

These are chicken recipes for dinner that are easy and take less than 30 minutes:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes/?q=chicken&sort=-relevance&meal-type=dinner&total-time=30-minutes-or-less&difficulty=easy

Thanks elainers, great idea, will check it out!

and to everyone, do appreciate your recipes and ideas, thank you!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wondering how I forgot this one!

A relative came in from Canada and I had to meet her in town which meant a long drive each way, She had been travelling many hours and I needed a good meal for her when we got home.

An old favourite.. more of an assembly job than anything else..

Alternate layers of sliced potato and sliced onion in a deep casserole, with cheese in between the. Add seasoning to taste as you go.

When you reach the top, add milk to barely cover and a last layer of cheese

Slooooow oven …

I left it for at least three hours and when we got home it was perfect and delicious

. I imagine a slow cooker would work but not sure you would get that crispy, cheesy top layer. Yumm

OMISSION: cover until the last half hour, then uncover and turn the heat up to crisp the top in all its melted cheese glory!

This sounds a-maz-ing graces - (I don't have a deep casserole :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Something I made today:

Chop few onions, soften on frying pan while browning diced stewing lamb.

Throw into slow-cooker, add two tins of chopped tomatoes, two diced carrots, a diced pepper, a smidge of honey, shake in some ral-el-hanout, cumin, coriander, chili powder, ground almonds, stir it up, pop on the lid and go about your day.

Amazingly tasty lamb "tagine" for dinner this evening. Yum.

Might sound like lots of ingredients but it's just a few spice jars, every time I make it its a bit different because I never remember what to throw in, but always tastes lovely!

Deja Boo wrote: »
    This sounds a-maz-ing graces - (I don't have a deep casserole :()

You have a slow cooker I think? Which is in essence a deep casserole? Mine is one that fits into the metal heat casing. Can you brown the top under the grill at the end?

I got my deep casserole at a charity shop. I had to leave all my stuff in one move. Life without a casserole? Nah!

Incidentally that visit from Canada was all 15 years ago and she still talks about that meal! She has tried to make it , " But it just is not the same. I think it was the occasion and having been in transit so long that made it extra welcome... YOU know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Graces7 wrote: »
    I think it was the occasion and having been in transit so long that made it extra welcome... YOU know!

A bit like when you're really hungry, and make yourself a lovely sandwich that really hits the spot, you've enjoyed it so much you decide you'll make another the same, which you do... But because you're not as hungry now, it tastes a bit disappointing :)

Hunger really is the best sauce!

A bit like when you're really hungry, and make yourself a lovely sandwich that really hits the spot, you've enjoyed it so much you decide you'll make another the same, which you do... But because you're not as hungry now, it tastes a bit disappointing :)

Hunger really is the best sauce!

And coming into a strange home after a long journey to warmth and food aroma... Oh and by chance as I did not know she loved apple pie … .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Something I made today:

Chop few onions, soften on frying pan while browning diced stewing lamb.

Throw into slow-cooker, add two tins of chopped tomatoes, two diced carrots, a diced pepper, a smidge of honey, shake in some ral-el-hanout, cumin, coriander, chili powder, ground almonds, stir it up, pop on the lid and go about your day.

Amazingly tasty lamb "tagine" for dinner this evening. Yum.

Might sound like lots of ingredients but it's just a few spice jars, every time I make it its a bit different because I never remember what to throw in, but always tastes lovely!

Some preserved lemon slices or wedges in that would have you in Morocco.

Advertisement