Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Alternatives-New Charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I am one of the customers whose yearly fees will go from e20 per year to e72 per year. My wife and I have 3 accounts with BOI, this will be a huge increase for us. Is there somewhere we can make a complaint about this or is it a done deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Glenman wrote: »
    I am one of the customers whose yearly fees will go from e20 per year to e72 per year. My wife and I have 3 accounts with BOI, this will be a huge increase for us. Is there somewhere we can make a complaint about this or is it a done deal?

It's a done deal unless you phone RTE LIVELINE. EBS& KBC amongst others offer free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

rizzla wrote: »

Banged in a complaint

Doubt they'll be too worried to lose a customer after 22 years though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

jeffk wrote: »
    Banged in a complaint

Doubt they'll be too worried to lose a customer after 22 years though

Yeah, the response I got to my complaint was "We have noted your feedback and no further action will be taken by us at this time."

Yeah, the response I got to my complaint was "We have noted your feedback and no further action will be taken by us at this time."

I don't expect much more

Least we all have some breathing room to suss out who to go to

If other banks where on the ball they'd use this as a chance to run an ad campaign and get plenty of new custom in

What are AIB fee’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Glenman wrote: »

Complaint In

Has any media outlets covered this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If other banks where on the ball they'd use this as a chance to run an ad campaign and get plenty of new custom in

Why? Why? would anyone want to take on a hoard of customer who don't want to pay fees and will end up costing you money. BOI is upping the fees because the can't make money out of such customers.

BOI's move will mean that it gets to keep the type of customers that they are like to profit from, while getting shot of the loss makes. Taking on BOI's loss makers would no be good business, so long as they have somewhere else to go when you need put push fees up as well.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why? Why? would anyone want to take on a hoard of customer who don't want to pay fees and will end up costing you money. BOI is upping the fees because the can't make money out of such customers.

BOI's move will mean that it gets to keep the type of customers that they are like to profit from, while getting shot of the loss makes. Taking on BOI's loss makers would no be good business, so long as they have somewhere else to go when you need put push fees up as well.

I dont mind paying fees per say, but theres a difference in E6 a month and E6 every four months

Why if its such a loss maker did they offer the 3K offer to wave fees and its going for YEARS not a few months and then said oh no not good idea scrap it
    You make it sound like they done customers a favor!

You try explaining to the social welfare why you have 3K, it takes some doing, just so I can have no fees

Jim2007 wrote: »

I wonder why Bank if Ireland don't have this attitude towards their Northern Irish Customers where they offer free current accounts. Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Never paid a penny in fees for banking. Few decades at it now. Switching is easy.

6 wrote: »
    Never paid a penny in fees for banking. Few decades at it now. Switching is easy.

You must not have been with BOI then

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I wonder why Bank if Ireland don't have this attitude towards their Northern Irish Customers where they offer free current accounts. Interesting...

It’s only the beginning, banks a cross Europe have not recovered since 2007 and with a second recession on its way, we are likely to see a lot of changes on the way. There are far too many lame ducks for them to continue as they are.

You must not have been with BOI then

I’ve never paid charges with BOI as I had a student account for about 16 or 17 years. They finally copped on this year though and started charging me and then refunded the charges as I complained that they never told me I was losing the student account.

I will be closing my account now with these new charges as I’d already moved fully to Revolut and EBS when they took the student account but left it open for a side business though with the new charges I’ll be getting a different account for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I’ve never paid charges with BOI as I had a student account for about 16 or 17 years. They finally copped on this year though and started charging me and then refunded the charges as I complained that they never told me I was losing the student account.

Lol some cheek to complain over that after not notifying them for 16 years that you had graduated.

Heard KBC is free is that true?

• Advertisement

Heard KBC is free is that true?

Yup it's free if you apply for the Extra Current Account

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Yup it's free if you apply for the Extra Current Account

Are you forgetting the bit where you have to lodge 2K a month, because thats what most say you need to do to get free KBC

I’m just gonna pay the €6 with bank of Ireland it’s not worth the hassle to be honest as much as if kill me

I could move my disability allowance to the post office but then I’d have no card if I needed to buy something online.

I was speaking to a security card in the bank of Ireland and he’s not happy either and he said all banks are gonna do what bank of Ireland is going to do either way we all getting screwed

Are you forgetting the bit where you have to lodge 2K a month, because thats what most say you need to do to get free KBC

That's the Extra account. You can take the 2k straight back out again also if you want, so anyone can get that account.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That's the Extra account. You can take the 2k straight back out again also if you want, so anyone can get that account.

The aul grey area, could soon see that loop hole being closed sharpish

I will be closing my account now with these new charges as I’d already moved fully to Revolut and EBS when they took the student account but left it open for a side business though with the new charges I’ll be getting a different account for that.

Great that you got away with that for so long..

How do you find EBS? I was thinking of moving.

Definitely moving now, even if it means I pay eventually, rather than give BOI custom

Years in the dark ages and kick loyal customers in the teeth with extra charges, then few days later, but its ok YEARS after everyone we know have google pay support

Online Complaint Form

Dear Mr King

Re: BOI-815839-Q6C6R3

Thanks for contacting our complaints team.

We have noted your feedback and no further action will be taken by us at this time.

Thanks BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Still debating whether or not to move accounts. Been with BoI for 20 odd years and only really stuck with them out of loyalty.
    Their mobile app is poor compared to other bank apps that I've seen but is not the end of the world.
    Trying to justify if the service they provide is worth the €72 a year. If my broadband or mobile plan introduced the same % increase I'd move to someone else in an instant.

What are peoples experice with Ulster Bank? I see you can avoid transaction fees with them if you keep 3k in your account and are left only paying €2 a month in maintenance fees.

You can avoid paying transaction fees by maintaining a minimum balance of €3,000 in your account at all times during each charging cycle. You will only pay the €2 monthly maintenance fee.

Still debating whether or not to move accounts. Been with BoI for 20 odd years and only really stuck with them out of loyalty.
    Their mobile app is poor compared to other bank apps that I've seen but is not the end of the world.
    Trying to justify if the service they provide is worth the €72 a year. If my broadband or mobile plan introduced the same % increase I'd move to someone else in an instant.

What are peoples experice with Ulster Bank? I see you can avoid transaction fees with them if you keep 3k in your account and are left only paying €2 a month in maintenance fees.

I personally have been very disappointed with customer service from Ulster Bank on the telephone and in person.

KBC or EBS seems best bet for free banking but I think AIB are still free if 2,500 left on deposit but they only deferred their fee increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I personally have been very disappointed with customer service from Ulster Bank on the telephone and in person.

KBC or EBS seems best bet for free banking but I think AIB are still free if 2,500 left on deposit but they only deferred their fee increase.

Yeah I am thinking EBS or KBC.
    AIB will copy BOI no doubt about it.

Advertisement