Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to learn how to restore tractors?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

timple23 wrote: »
    Start with a car first? Would be much cheaper to buy a banger for 100-200 euro?

I wouldn't bother with a car. You'd probably need a pit or a lift to get at everything effectively. At least a tractor is high off the ground to start with.
    A tractor could be left 50 or more years out in the open, with a tree growing up through it and still be restorable, a car could be fcuked after a decade lying idle outdoors and end up being a money pit.
    Depending what it is, a lot of older tractors with a following have brand new replacement parts you can simply get off the shelf, even tinwork if that's too far gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭maidhc

I wouldn't bother with a car.

Nor would I. Cars are pigs to work on compared to tractors and a banger is always a banger. At least if you buy a tractor and make it good it will always sell, and always be useful.

I did up a Ford 3600 when I was about 16. My doing up involved a wire brush, a tin of paint and isopon as required, but I was a proud as punch.

20 odd years later I am still at stuff, pretty much the same idea but less Isopon. Still get the same feeling when a machine is done and the added bonus is pretty much all the farming is done now with machines I restored (and it the fact they are working machines gives me the legitimate excuse not to seek out mirror paint finishes!)

Advertisement