Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car servicing and main dealers approach

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bs2014 wrote: »
    Another one I do find ironic but concerning is VW Golf Leon and Octavia claim you dont need change the timing belt until 7 years or 210km.....yet reality is all independents and VW enthusiasts insist changing at 100km.

VW group say 210k kms, no age limit.

Independents advising doing it every 5 years or 100k kms or whatever are only generating work for themselves "main independent stealers".

Enthusiasts generally like changing things far too often so that advice is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

VW group say 210k kms, no age limit.

Independents advising doing it every 5 years or 100k kms or whatever are only generating work for themselves "main independent stealers".

Enthusiasts generally like changing things far too often so that advice is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yep, they're out there too.

In fairness though for the other poster to claim "all independents are insisting" is a bit drama queenish.

I know I'm very lucky with my local mechanic but I know a few other lads in the game as well and they are very honest too.

I'm just speaking from my own experience but most mechanics will say off the record that when some part is recommended to be changed at a certain mileage or time the manufacturer is covering their arse with that recommendation and just because it's not changed on the button doesn't mean it is going to malfunction.

As for the timing belts the quality of them has improved in leaps and bounds, I've got my fingers crossed here now and touching wood too as I'm looking at my new timing belt kit and water pump across the room which will be fitted next week.

I have been soundly advised "It should be alright, drive on. But shur if you hear an awful loud bang, we should have done it last week."

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

While I can understand some prefer to change oil slightly more often than long term intervals listed by manufacturers, going ahead with rather expensive jobs like timing belts etc when there is no need I consider waste of money. Unless there is a history of particular model having issues or the car in question having a fault related to it etc.

I think some independant garages don't even check when particular parts are due and go by 100k/5 years for timing belt, oil/filters 15-20k/1 year, plugs 30k/3 years or whatever number they think sounds right for all customers regardless. It is more of ignorance /laziness from my (limited) experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

wonski wrote: »
    I think some independant garages don't even check when particular parts are due and go by 100k/5 years for timing belt, oil/filters 15-20k/1 year, plugs 30k/3 years or whatever number they think sounds right for all customers regardless. It is more of ignorance /laziness from my (limited) experience.

It's psychological too when it comes to recommending replacement to customers, not entirely down to reliability even.

eg: VW engineers could work out that the after extensive testing of hard driving conditions and applying a safety factor, a timing belt should safely last 115k km.

But after three years on PCP, an average Golf may have 110k km.

It's a much easier sell for everyone to the to round the interval down to 100k km.
    1. Gives the first owner a reason to change
    2. Factor the cost of doing the belt into the PCP payments
    3. Second owner gets a freshly serviced car that just had the belt done.

The opposite can be true too - push out the interval on an Ovtavia that does on average higher miles with the same engine to 125k km, and keep the fleet managers happy.

Just an example, but much more to it than just the engineering.

Advertisement