Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

I'm surprised that stayed out of the media until after the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I like one of the comments

“Perhaps they were searching for performance diminishing drugs”?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looked like Sagan said "Hey Relax" in the vid when hes celebrating with team mates, kind of an odd thing to say if thats what he said.
    Im open to correction however :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I like one of the comments

“Perhaps they were searching for performance diminishing drugs”?

"Now the drugs don't work. They just make you worse"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Wow GC placing and team price is worth a hell of a lot if Movistar came out ahead of DQS with the green and 3 stage wins.

Wow GC placing and team price is worth a hell of a lot if Movistar came out ahead of DQS with the green and 3 stage wins.

I was thinking that all the scoffing about the Movistar prize might have been slightly misplaced! Nice earner for them alright though in truth it's a drop in the ocean relative to their budgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Richie Porte didn't do too badly for what amounted to two third places and a fifth - €112K

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

How many staff are there on a team?

Masseurs, mechanics, drivers, chef, chief bottle hander uppers etc.

I believe that the winner in this case Pogacar gets nothing - but obviously benefits from s[sponsorship deals etc.

Will the post Tour crits be on ? Maybe not as they are usually tied in with village fetes, fiestas etc

Would have been nice to have a crit in Carrick with Sam in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

Finnrocco wrote: »
    How many staff are there on a team?

Masseurs, mechanics, drivers, chef, chief bottle hander uppers etc.

I believe that the winner in this case Pogacar gets nothing - but obviously benefits from s[sponsorship deals etc.

Will the post Tour crits be on ? Maybe not as they are usually tied in with village fetes, fiestas etc

Would have been nice to have a crit in Carrick with Sam in green.

I think, open to correction here, that the winner gets the prize money (500k), but that he divides it out amongst the team.

Not sure what they do for stage wins etc but I'd imagine that in, for example, a sprint stage the likes of Bennett would find give a large portion of his 11k stage winnings to the lead out train.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

G1032 wrote: »
    I think, open to correction here, that the winner gets the prize money (500k), but that he divides it out amongst the team.

That's what I meant, all the winnings goes into a pool to be shared among team and staff, the overall winner I heard once before doesn't take any of it but he gets increased contract, sponsorship, appearance fees etc.

Just wondering how many staff there are on the Tour - i.e. say about 25 - ish including riders - if so around 25 k each for UAE staff, not bad for a 3 week jaunt around France.

Compare to Arkea - about 15800 to be divided among them.

Open to correction on all of above.

Imagine being a Sky mechanic for the last few years!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

griffin100 wrote: »
    Big kudos to Nico Roche who finished his 21st GT today, and I’m sure had a big role in Sunwebs success.
    It was a great tour from him
    Dcully wrote: »
    Looked like Sagan said "Hey Relax" in the vid when hes celebrating with team mates, kind of an odd thing to say if thats what he said.
    Im open to correction however :)
    I seen him try to shake Sams hand but Sam was a bit to over excited and didn't see him. I didn't see him say or do anything odd, thought it was quite decent

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JimmyChew

https://www.letour.fr/en/

Eurosport are doing a nice little 10 minute video looking back over the tour..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I guess at this stage, spoilers and such probably are not needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spoiler alert: sam bennett won the green jersey cos he was the highest placed irish rider in the race

More on the raid on the Arkea Samsic team's hotel last week , doesn't sound good.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-police-open-doping-investigation-after-arkea-samsic-hotel-search-at-tour-de-france/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ain’t needles illegal for cycling teams to have? Or something to that effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

spoiler alert: sam bennett won the green jersey cos he was the highest placed irish rider in the race

Also technically he won the Tour de France too. He was first to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Saw a report that they were specifically targeting nairo quintana. Definitely doesnt seem like a random spot check...

Ain’t needles illegal for cycling teams to have? Or something to that effect?

Ya I doubt anyone would still dope that way but maybe using a severe pain medication thats illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Move over UK Cycling Expert

neris wrote: »
    Move over UK Cycling Expert

Beat me too it , I was going to say there was a gap in the market on Twitter for an Irish Cycling Expert account now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

retalivity wrote: »
    Saw a report that they were specifically targeting nairo quintana. Definitely doesnt seem like a random spot check...

Link to report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

CramCycle wrote: »
    It was a great tour from him

I seen him try to shake Sams hand but Sam was a bit to over excited and didn't see him. I didn't see him say or do anything odd, thought it was quite decent

I dislike Sagan in general, mainly going back to the podium pinch which I thought was disgraceful but also in interviews he just comes across entitled and petulant quite often. He is a fabulously entertaining bike rider but I don't much like him beyond that.

That said, I thought he was reasonably gracious in defeat once he knew the green jersey battle was lost (e.g., the tweet the night before), and certainly think the motion that seems to be attracting criticism was him congratulating our Sam.

Link to report?
    L'Équipe reported that Nairo Quintana was the target of the raid, which was carried out by officers from the Central Office for Combating Environmental and Public Health Damage (OCLAESP). The search was apparently not organised in cooperation with the French anti-doping agency (AFLD).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-police-open-doping-investigation-after-arkea-samsic-hotel-search-at-tour-de-france/

• Advertisement

I dislike Sagan in general, mainly going back to the podium pinch which I thought was disgraceful but also in interviews he just comes across entitled and petulant quite often. He is a fabulously entertaining bike rider but I don't much like him beyond that.

That said, I thought he was reasonably gracious in defeat once he knew the green jersey battle was lost (e.g., the tweet the night before), and certainly think the motion that seems to be attracting criticism was him congratulating our Sam.

The pinch was an awful thing to do but other than that I've always liked him and see the whole ego thing as a bit of a dry humour act very similar to another favourite Zlatan and I'm sure he's probably a nice guy off camera.

I really hope as well that covid has ended the podium girl forever

Advertisement