Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Proudest Achievements / Regrets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Biggest regret putting my 7 iron through my 2 yr old Ping bag - cutting front pocket and cracking the inner shell - bag still works fine but a constant reminder of relax and dont be a d**khead on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I regret not winning a major. Feck it no, I regret not winning 19 of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Always a great man for a thread to make people really think about themselves and their relationship to golf Fix!

Proudest Achievements:
    • Not really an achievement, but getting up the confidence to join the Boards society. Debated on it for a couple of years. Convincing yourself to meet a bunch of weirdos on the internet was an effort, but haven't looked back since, and have made some genuine friends out of it.
    • Breaking 80 for the first time
    • Winning the Captains Prize with Boards in Co Sligo
    • Having 2 eagles in a single round
    • Getting to a single digit handicap

Biggest Regrets:
    • See point one above, taking those couple of years to commit to the society
    • Losing the captains at my home club by letting a playing partner get in on me. Had 40 points coming off 16th (but didn't know that. Was just playing golf, and told my partner not to mention scores). But on the 17th he steps up and says, "You've 40 points to here, Par-Par finish & you'll win the captains. Suddenly I was thinking score, playing the index 18 par 3, and index 16 par 5. Finished Bogey-Bogey, lost the Captain's by 1 point. Might have happened anyway, but its a regret that sticks in my head
    • Coming late to golf. Played pitch & putt as a child/early teen, but didn't come to golf till I was in my 20s and join a club till around 30ish. I went to a secondary school that had a reasonable golf set-up. Harrington & McGinley both attended there, but it was seen as quite elite & inaccessible to most, so never really was on my radar

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Proudest achievement:
    Getting my handicap down from 26 to 14 in less than 3 years
    Winning a medal and runner up in another

Biggest regret:
    Not taking the game up sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Achievements:
    I've won 5 Medals in 2 clubs plus 4 category medals.

Regrets
    My bad behaviour a few times. The worst being letting go of the club in the backswing after a terrible shot and hitting a playing partner.

• Advertisement

Never knew category medals were a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    Never knew category medals were a thing.

Yeah same, I've won my class in medals, but never had it called a category medal

Yeah same, I've won my class in medals, but never had it called a category medal
    Maybe they were called class not category. Not every club does them. I won mine in Hollywood Lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Biggest regret.. Not taking up the offer of life membership in Ballybunion away back in the day. Just didn't have the money but perhaps I should have pushed the boat out. Anyway I have played it many times as a guest of members.

Proudest achievement... I suppose becoming Club Captain was a great honour but as I'm in the same club for over 30 years,my proudest achievement is the wonderful times I've enjoyed both on and off the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Proudest achievement:
    Getting to 6 handicap from 19 (starting handicap) in four years.

Biggest regret:
    Not taking the game up sooner! Seems to be a common theme but took it up in late twenties. Wish I took it up as a kid. But wasn't as financially available in celtic tiger times. 3k entrance fee for example...

• Advertisement

Maybe they were called class not category. Not every club does them. I won mine in Hollywood Lakes.

But did you get an actual medal?

Seve OB wrote: »
    But did you get an actual medal?

Yes. The nett medals are silver and the class medals are bronze. There was a gold medal for the lowest gross but never got close to that off a range of 12 to 18 handicap.

Yes. The nett medals are silver and the class medals are bronze. There was a gold medal for the lowest gross but never got close to that off a range of 12 to 18 handicap.

That’s mad never heard of that.
    Gold medal is usually played for at year end by all the monthly winners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

P.As:

Has to be wins or shots that counted under pressure.

Shooting 68 gross to win the Presidents Prize at home club a while back.

Shooting a decent score to win a gross prize in the R Dublin hosted John Lumsden Memorial.

Winning a gross prize at a Portmarnock Links Winter series event.

Winning a 36 hole Junior Scratch Cup.

Winning the club foursomes with the ol fella.

Representing my club several times on the Senior Cup team.

Overall proudest achievment was probably topping a Leinster qualifier for the Barton Shield at Old Conna 3 or 4 years ago. My partner and I shot a 70 gross in 4somes, capped off with him draining a 50ftr for eagle across the 18th green. Our other partnership played well also but they were both lower hcs than we were, so to clip them and be the leading qualifiers overall was a real thrill.

Regrets:

Playing awful against the Island in the Smurfit junior foursomes many moons ago. Had played really well to beat Sutton in the previous round too so hopes were high. Put my first drive OB and went downhill from there. Played and putted terribly and let my partner and team down badly. Altogether a traumatising affair, especially for a 15 year old!

Not winning a senior cup match at Palmerstown Stud GC about 5 years ago. Probably the best Ive ever hit the ball in my life on what was a miserable, dreary day with the ball going nowhere on what is already a long course. Did manage to win my morning match by a big margin (8 and 7) so was full of confidence even though my opponent in the afternoon was a much lower handicap than I was. Putted awfully but hit it so well I was still all square standing on the 17th tee. Two good shots to 25 feet and nailed it, literally the only putt of significance I made the whole match to go 1up. Then I hit a driver and a 5 iron onto the 18th green whereas he missed right into the greenside bunker. With the flag back right, it was just about a done deal. The next thing, he develops a nose bleed and a (since relieved of his duties) GUI rules official wanders on and decrees that I have to wait and call the match behind through. We unfortunately lost that match and the overall tie, meaning my match was declared a half. Was sick to my stomach at being deprived of that half point and remain so today ×D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Achievements are thin on the ground really.

Getting cut 5 shots last year over three months.

Getting a win out in St Margaret's having never played it before would be up there too.

Making the Ryder Jug team and getting half point in my first matchplay round was nice too. (It was our point really, he was never making that 15 foot putt to draw on the 18th :) )

Regrets are easier.

Not shouting fore in the first hole of my first ever boards outing and hitting a fellow boards member in the shoulder. I still shudder thinking about it.

Par 5 fifth, out in the final group for the second day of the captains. I was a shot behind the leader starting out and I had it level after 4. I decided to lay up on 5 but took an 8 instead of safe PW or 9 and put it in the sh*te. From there to water, water to bunker, bunker back to water. I had to walk the rest of the course with the eventual winner who brought his Dad out to caddy for him for the back nine. It was a painful experience. (I still think his dad being out was b*llsh*t btw. Helping with club selection and giving advice)

Advertisement