Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    My issue wasn't that Downcow knew nothing of Irish history (though I think that's quite foolish considering anything over 100 years ago, it was his history, so he has a pretty short term view of history really), my issue was that he stated that he knew no history except his own- hence why I highlighted a great deal of potentially interesting history that would be largely considered common knowledge.

The exact quote from Downcow was

You should consider that perhaps much of the sleights on your monarchy that you hear(or read) may be coming from the same position as you - intentionally trying to irritate you as it pushes your buttons, in response to your own provocation. We can all be guilty of it, but it's a touch hypocritical to complain when engaging in it yourself.

I think it would also be helpful if people didn’t pull words out of posts that could have been phrased better on reflection, and then repeat them continually.
    You will hear this regularly (even in the last 24 hours again) of a phrase I made about trying not to get drawn into violence in UI scenario. I fear you are instigating the same over a clumsy history comment of mine. I suppose what I meant was that I don’t have the depth of historical knowledge of your country as I have of my own, And yes, I know next to nothing of 20s to 60s in your country. Apologies being an ignorant northerner

Folks I have (to my own surprise) given a fair bit of input to ideas of what a hypothetical UI might look like and how equality might look. I have yet to here any here suggest what might make a permanent NI more acceptable to you.

But hey, here goes again.

How about this as a compromise.
    Reunification of the UK to include all 5 countries. As extensive a devolution as Roi wants. A guarantee of a vote each generation for amalgamating of the two countries of NI & ROI, inside or outside the UK, whichever the people wished.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

downcow wrote: »
    Folks I have (to my own surprise) given a fair bit of input to ideas of what a hypothetical UI might look like and how equality might look. I have yet to here any here suggest what might make a permanent NI more acceptable to you.

Reunification of the UK to include all 5 countries. As extensive a devolution as Roi wants. A guarantee of a vote each generation for amalgamating of the two countries of NI & ROI, inside or outside the UK, whichever the people wished.

?

The terms of the GFA say that if voted for, UI will be one independent country. If a new UI forms, NI ceases to exist politically. So even if people in NI changed their mind and wanted to rejoin the UK ten years later it would need a majority of a UI for it to happen which is extremely unlikely as there is no appetite for rejoining the UK in the south.

Also if the rest of the UK washes its hands of Ireland I doubt they would ever want us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There are unionists who genuinely argue that even if the majority of people in the North vote for it to no longer exist as a political entity, it still should continue. There still are pockets of colonial thinking hundreds of years after the plantations.
    It was doomed to failure because the thinking never matured.
    Big challenge for nationalism now to reach out to the more moderate unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

?

Christ almighty.....I don't doubt that you think this is a compromise, Downcow, but wow. I'll give you a clue....compromise involves give and take. What exactly are you giving on your side in this hypothetical scenario?

We already have a compromise that sets out the pathway to whether Unification happens or not. It is called the GFA. Every single thing in the GFA is more favourable to NI nationalists than your hypothetical, 'compromise', so why would you expect anyone on my side to accept your solution?

Post unification, should that happen, you're welcome to campaign for our new state to join the UK, though I doubt you'll get much traction.

You have heard repeatedly what would make a permanent NI acceptable- the majority of the people of NI wishing it to be so. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I think it would also be helpful if people didn’t pull words out of posts that could have been phrased better on reflection, and then repeat them continually.
    You will hear this regularly (even in the last 24 hours again) of a phrase I made about trying not to get drawn into violence in UI scenario. I fear you are instigating the same over a clumsy history comment of mine. I suppose what I meant was that I don’t have the depth of historical knowledge of your country as I have of my own, And yes, I know next to nothing of 20s to 60s in your country. Apologies being an ignorant northerner

I didn't pull words out of your post, Downcow. I directly quoted you. The responsibility for your clumsy phraseology lies with you. I appreciate your clarification of what you meant, and I'm happy to move on from the subject, but in what world am I in the wrong for assuming that you mean what you say?!

What you meant makes sense, but there is no way any reasonable person could read, 'I don't know any history but my own' and interpret it as, 'while I have a reasonable grounding in world history, I have a blind spot for a 40 year period of Irish history'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    You didn't answer my last question, what should Ireland have done, in the event the treaty was rejected? In fact its a question that is dodged more times than not as bares waste to the nice theoretical claims of easy solutions.
    Francie appears to argue we should have fought on till the bitter end, scorched earth style.
    What is your position?

I think you misunderstand my position. I am not saying, if a 50%+1 result was achieved we should ignore it, all I am saying is that we should wait for a border poll when we know that there is sizeable support for it. In otherwords we should delay it until we know for sure.

There are those among us who would love a border poll this year, or heck every year until they get that 50%+1 result and then run home with their ball, claiming victory. That is idiotic.

Do you not think Brexist has taught us anything or if there are any lessons to be learned from it?

There you have it...wait until we get a democracy WE like.

?

As clear a sign as you need that somebody is trying to redraw the GFA having pretended to agree/support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

?

I don't see the logic behind an Ireland and a Northern Ireland as part of the UK?
    A federal UI would be a good first step in any UI. Perhaps a UI could have some kind of commonwealth type status with the UK, though I doubt you'd get anyone in the south who would want London to have any say in what goes on in, say, Kerry or Wexford... But there would have to be some kind of compromise from the south. 100%. I'd be all for a new flag, new anthem, new constitution etc.

As clear a sign as you need that somebody is trying to redraw the GFA having pretended to agree/support it.

I am very happy with the gfa. I am confident that there is no scenario for generations that will bring about a majority of voters in ni wanting to leave the uk.
    I was reaching out to you with something (fairly extreme and absurd) but that could give you some hope of reaching some of your aspirations

I don’t here any republicans suggesting anything that may encourage ni people to go for a UI

Granadino wrote: »
    I don't see the logic behind an Ireland and a Northern Ireland as part of the UK?
    A federal UI would be a good first step in any UI. Perhaps a UI could have some kind of commonwealth type status with the UK, though I doubt you'd get anyone in the south who would want London to have any say in what goes on in, say, Kerry or Wexford... But there would have to be some kind of compromise from the south. 100%. I'd be all for a new flag, new anthem, new constitution etc.

Thanks granadino. That’s what discussion is all about. I am disappointed that most posters responding just don’t get the concept of healthy discussion. They went off on stuff again.

You suggestions are good. I thought I would never accept leaving the uk, but I believe there would be mileage in discussing the possibilities of a United Kingdom of ireland (unfortunate term but I can’t think of any other) containing two countries but with some form of central government- what’s the term for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

markodaly wrote: »
    That line has been trotted out daily by UKIP and BNP supporting types anytime Brexit has come up. '

Ohhh, think about DEMOCRACY!!!'

Now we all know where YOU stand! On the side of demagogues and populists.

Not sure why you're making stuff like this up.

Is it because you've tied yourself up in knots?

And I wouldn't have any particular like of UKIP or BNP types, but they would seem to be right in saying that 50+1 gives a winning result in a referendum. This is the same method used in the Irish state and works very well as it means each voter is treated equally.

It must be terrible to be so angry as to be opposed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Not necessarily, if unification happens the country is free to do whatever it wants once a majority from the now 32 county country votes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

jh79 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, if unification happens the country is free to do whatever it wants once a majority from the now 32 county country votes for it.

The hypothetical scenario Downcow provided involved NI and Ireland both being part of the United Kingdom pre-Unification as two separate countries.

Obviously post Unification, the GFA has run its course and the people of Ireland would be free to pursue rejoining the United Kingdom, though I can't see it picking up much momentum.

I don't think there is any provision in the GFA should Ireland actually decide for some reason to rejoin the United Kingdom, so I wouldn't be confident in saying that Downcow's idea would necessarily breaching the GFA should Ireland willingly and voluntarily choose to rejoin the UK. Trying to make unification conditional on Ireland joining the UK for any period of time obviously would run contrary to the GFA, which is the, 'compromise' Downcow suggested.

Fortunately, as far as plausible outcomes go, I'm confident that this is practically impossible to see arising in my lifetime anyway, so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There are unionists who genuinely argue that even if the majority of people in the North vote for it to no longer exist as a political entity, it still should continue. There still are pockets of colonial thinking hundreds of years after the plantations.
    It was doomed to failure because the thinking never matured.
    Big challenge for nationalism now to reach out to the more moderate unionists.

Do you not think that's happening?

The biggest challenge is to actually to ignore the loud beligerent unionists with nonsensical ideas and unrealistic notions.

Unfortunately the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

The hypothetical scenario Downcow provided involved NI and Ireland both being part of the United Kingdom pre-Unification as two separate countries.

Obviously post Unification, the GFA has run its course and the people of Ireland would be free to pursue rejoining the United Kingdom, though I can't see it picking up much momentum.

I don't think there is any provision in the GFA should Ireland actually decide for some reason to rejoin the United Kingdom, so I wouldn't be confident in saying that Downcow's idea would necessarily breaching the GFA should Ireland willingly and voluntarily choose to rejoin the UK. Trying to make unification conditional on Ireland joining the UK for any period of time obviously would run contrary to the GFA, which is the, 'compromise' Downcow suggested.

Fortunately, as far as plausible outcomes go, I'm confident that this is practically impossible to see arising in my lifetime anyway, so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

It would never happen but i just got the impression from Francie that he thinks the GFA was like some sort of final destination for Ireland .

Personally i would like to see a more federal Europe with Ireland part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I am very happy with the gfa. I am confident that there is no scenario for generations that will bring about a majority of voters in ni wanting to leave the uk.
    I was reaching out to you with something (fairly extreme and absurd) but that could give you some hope of reaching some of your aspirations

I don’t here any republicans suggesting anything that may encourage ni people to go for a UI

So why are you against a border poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Thanks granadino. That’s what discussion is all about. I am disappointed that most posters responding just don’t get the concept of healthy discussion. They went off on stuff again.

You suggestions are good. I thought I would never accept leaving the uk, but I believe there would be mileage in discussing the possibilities of a United Kingdom of ireland (unfortunate term but I can’t think of any other) containing two countries but with some form of central government- what’s the term for that?

Yep, some kind of federal system to start with. If NI still kept the assembly going (somehow!) to manage the 6 counties, and Dublin carried on with the 26, and you could try and have some kind of central system to manage all island affairs, e.g. transport, economy, roads, :confused: dunno, just thinking out loud. Something like the USA, or the way autonomous regions work in Spain...

In theory, it would seem silly to have 2 govts running one small island, but that's kind of what's happening now, and again, there would have to be some compromise initially, and if it's a federal type scenario, so be it.

But if the UK were to play some role, what could/would they do etc? Could it be allowing their military ships use Irish waters or ports if needs be? In a post Brexit scenario, giving UK citizens the same rights in Ireland as Irish citizens (or those who wish to only maintain British citizenship, or some law to allow folk to choose citizenship in the 6 counties until such and such a date) etc?

In terms of culture, I suppose the whole marching thing isn't a thing outside of the 6 counties, bar the big orange march in Donegal, which seems to be without incident ever. I'm not sure if groups still come down to the Boyne? If so, I've never heard anyone down south talk about those visits or complain etc, so I'd guess something like that could be promoted more as well.

The legalities around bonfires would have to be addressed. Ban all "sides" from burning flags etc. Leave place names as they are.

It would never happen but i just got the impression from Francie that he thinks the GFA was like some sort of final destination for Ireland .

Personally i would like to see a more federal Europe with Ireland part of that.

I read downcow's post as an alternative to fulfilling the function of the GFA.

If it is a bit of fantasy, fair enough. I will await until that emerges as a serious proposal.

The GFA is the only agreed game in town, if a majority vote for a UI, both governments will introduce legislation to give that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Your line of thinking is what’s idiotic.
    Peace was achieved by agreeing the current system, as soon as a majority is likely a border poll should be carried out and the process of unification should start.
    There’s no way around that now without calling for the peace agreement to be torn up which could give rise to more violence, or at the very least a lot of anger from the majority.

Ah, the subjective, when its 'likely'. You needs polls to be in the high 60's before you can go down that road imo.

Again, look at Brexit.

It's a long and interesting listen whatever you think of the contributors.

• Advertisement

I read downcow's post as an alternative to fulfilling the function of the GFA.

If it is a bit of fantasy, fair enough. I will await until that emerges as a serious proposal.

The GFA is the only agreed game in town, if a majority vote for a UI, both governments will introduce legislation to give that effect.

And if unification occurs there potentially could be legislation that could change the sovereignty of the country again if desired.

Now, i can't imagine a change involving the UK but a US of Europe could happen.

And if unification occurs there potentially could be legislation that could change the sovereignty of the country again if desired.

Now, i can't imagine a change involving the UK but a US of Europe could happen.

Anything is possible if the people are behind it?..absolutely.

Anything is possible if the people are behind it?..absolutely.

As we are talking about a hypothetical, downcows suggestion would be possible and within the GFA if the referendums were carried out one after another. 26 to 32 to UK&Ireland.

Not saying it is plausible just saying it can be done without breaking the GFA.

If the treaty was not the wishes of the majority of the people of the island of Ireland, then no, it shouldn't have been accepted. If that meant a continued war, then so be it.

Interesting take, because if Unionsts got a vote, then they would have voted FOR the treaty, so it would have passed by a bigger majority or do their votes not count? :D:D

Anyway, continued war.... scorched earth style...
    ... and you do realise this is EXACTLY the reason why there was 30 years of conflict in the North, not just two or three, like we had in the 1920's?

How many more lives would it have been worth and what was the end goal? A united Ireland? How would you get the Ulster Volunteers on board?
    Genuine questions by the way.
    Why was war totally acceptable to you up until the point your part of the country got what it wanted, but the people left behind by that decision would be adapting a scorched earth approach if they continued with the same thing that was totally fine in your mind a few months earlier? Why are you so comfortable with Irish lives being sacrificed for your freedom, but somehow Francie is being irrational by suggesting the same for my freedom?

Because Francie is a hypocrite.
    He was espousing and glorifying the compromise (Surrender more like it) of SF/PIRA when talking about the GFA, but the treaty... feck that, fight on and on and on.... no compromise ever!!

And today, you are still under the 'yoke' of the British, are you not? So again, what was the 30 years war for?

Your appeal to emotion and dramatic language doesn't actually change anything, Mark. By your logic, since Irish independence was achieved through war, and cost lives, it should've never happened and we should've all just sat patiently and just hoped the British decided to magnanimously grant independence to Ireland.

Then you don't know your history, because Home Rule was already coming, without a shot being fired. 1916 put that aside.
    Again, look at Scotland, no murdering, no shots fired, yet granted a referendum on independance.

Would you have made the same argument for a 17 county Ireland? Sure you got most of it.....should you fight to the bitter end, scorched earth style?

Pointless question, as if you want to fight for something it has to be achievable.
    There has to be a line somewhere that a treaty is acceptable and a line where it is not, otherwise your proposed solution is to just accept whatever scraps you're given from the master's table.

History has shown that the treaty was acceptable to the majority, otherwise the people would have risen up and in the contemporary world of ours, is seen as a success. Only die hard republican types who like violence would be opposed to it today. NIRA types, Omagh bombing types, because that is what you are advocating and supporting.
    I'll add, to avoid complicating things, or allowing for obfuscation that this hypothetical discussion is purely back dropped in the War of Independence and in no way relates to later PIRA activities, or indeed even later dissident activities.

Ah, no sorry, you cannot make that distinction because the mindset is the same.
    Some PIRA members were not happy with the GFA, so they planted a bomb in Omagh and murdered 29 civilians.
    That is the manifestation of continuing a war. You do realise that, right?
    Regarding your position on unification, whatever way you slice it, you're clearly stating that the opinion and rights of someone of a Unionist persuasion should trump the opinions and rights of a Nationalist person. While I would think a hypothetical 50%+1 vote would be problematic, I think ignoring the right to self determination for the people of NI, as enshrined in the GFA by creating new and unagreed standards raises more problems than your solution solves. Let me be clear, I do not want a vote for unification to pass by 50%+1, but if 50%+1 of the people of NI support unification then I would be totally opposed to any efforts to block it, including by denying a voice to express that will. Your solution creates at least as many problems as it solves.

As I will repeat, the status quo is better than a 50%+1 outcome, infinitely better.
    One has to think what a UI actually is.
    Is it just a landgrab, or Unifying people of different persuasions.
    If its the latter, the surely one has to do better then aim for a 50%+1 outcome as its not a Unifying act.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Not arguing Brexit has gone well or if it was a good idea. Particularly it was bad for everyone in NI.
    But 50%+1 was enough to make Brexit happen and it has now happened. 50%+1 is also enough for UI to happen.

Joining the dots is not your stong point I take it. :)

There you have it...wait until we get a democracy WE like.

Spoken like a true Brexiter!
    I hear Nigel Farage is free and for hire!

As we are talking about an hypothetically, downcows suggestion would be possible and within the GFA if the referendums were carried out one after another. 26 to 32 to UK&Ireland.

Not saying it is plausible just saying it can be done without breaking the GFA.

I don't think that is provided for in the GFA and the second referendum would have to be proposed after a UI s complete.
    As I say to any other suggestions outside the GFA...get the political voice and start lobbying for it. Otherwise it remains a fantasy languishing in a thread on boards.ie.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And I wouldn't have any particular like of UKIP or BNP types, but they would seem to be right in saying that 50+1 gives a winning result in a referendum.

Christ, you still don't get it do you.

50%+1 does win a referendum, but as we have seen with Brexit there is a hell of a lot more to it than just 'winning' a referendum.

We, the Irish people have to think long and hard about this. Brexit is a wake-up call to reject fancilful notions about a UI, easy soundbites and slogans don't unify a nation, nor pay for it.

The very same posters mocking the UK and their political class for being so stupid over Brexit are the very same people frothing at their mouths at the prospect of sneaking in UI poll win.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent. It is sweet and honourable to die for one's country.

I don't think that is provided for in the GFA and the second referendum would have to be proposed after a UI s complete.
    As I say to any other suggestions outside the GFA...get the political voice and start lobbying for it. Otherwise it remains a fantasy languishing in a thread on boards.ie.

It's irrelevant what the fantasy is. The GFA is an agreed mechanism for unification if desired. It's not a template for the final status of Ireland after unification. If the people of Ireland want to become a state in the EU or become part of the UK then that's what will happen. The GFA has already fulfilled its purpose.

• Advertisement

It's irrelevant what the fantasy is. The GFA is an agreed mechanism for unification if desired. It's not a template for the final status of Ireland after unification. If the people of Ireland want to become a state in the EU or become part of the UK then that's what will happen. The GFA has already fulfilled its purpose.

Are you only figuring that out yourself? Why or what made you think any different?

We are sovereign we can choose whatever we want to be or join. Fairly obvious I would have thought.

Advertisement