Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ioniq charging door lock mechanism (not what you think)

Options
  • 15-08-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a 2017 electric ioniq with a weird issue.
    When I plug in the car, then into the charging point (whether at home or public point) the plug locks into the charge point but not into the car & therefore does not charge.

I figured out that pulling on the emergency release cable in the boot will make a little click noise.
    Then when plugged into the car you can hear the mechanism lock the plug to the car and it charges.

Obviously a sticking cable/mechanism or is it electrical.

Has this happened to anyone else and what's the permanent fit as every time I need to charge I've to pull that cable a few times to get it to unstick the lock mechanism.

Thx.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah theres a recall? replacement of that part, i think Black_Knight has had it fixed recently in the ioniq thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah theres a recall? replacement of that part, i think Black_Knight has had it fixed recently in the ioniq thread.

Found that thread thx. Didn't know it was called actuator

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

graememk wrote: »

You'd think that, being that I told Hyundai about it at the end of July, but no. Pathetic service from Hyundai in getting it sorted. Perhaps this is why the warranty is so long. 5 years is it?

My car had the original recall performed before I bought it, but what I've been told since is that there's a new modified charge port actuator to replace that recall. Not a new recall, but just a new replacement part. It's been a complete joke trying to get that part the the dealer in Cork these last 2-3 weeks. Let me know if you have any better luck.

@zale, you can get the car to lock the cable if you need to charge (I know you've outlined this, but i'm somewhat posting this for others who may encounter the issue). You'll need to use the emergency release cable for the charge port. Open your boot, lift up the floor, and in the well underneath there's a little door flap (like the battery cover on a remote control). Open that up and there'll be a pull cord marked Emergency Charge port release (or something like that). Give that a good pull. Lock the car, unlock the car, offer the cable to the port and it should lock in place. Repeat if it doesn't.
    This might fix it for you for a couple of charges, or just the 1 like my situation, but it can get you out of a bind if needs be. Do it when you're ready to lock up the care. Unlocking the car afterwards will unlock the cable, and it may not lock back in place afterwards (and you'll have to repeat the process). I've been doing this for the last 2 weeks as i've no alternative, and no alternative has been offered to me.*

* I could get the AA to tow it, and get a car off them for 2 days, but then i'd be carless without any alternative or remedy by Hyundai in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Hyundai Bev backup is the worst customer care/service I have ever encountered anywhere/ever under any circumstances ,the big outfit in munster whos name may start with a K
    are beyond useless,btw recently quoted me 229 euro for 75k "service",crowd in clonmel 110 euro and I'm reluctant to even pay that.

adunis wrote: »
    Hyundai Bev backup is the worst customer care/service I have ever encountered anywhere/ever under any circumstances ,the big outfit in munster whos name may start with a K
    are beyond useless,btw recently quoted me 229 euro for 75k "service",crowd in clonmel 110 euro and I'm reluctant to even pay that.

Ouch. That'll be my next service. Won't be with them at that price... I won't make 75k if they don't fix my charge port actuator either! It's only been 3 weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's crazy, pay €76-€78 for a Leaf service at a main Nissan dealer, there's really nothing to do apart from a few fluid checks and walk-around

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Ramp,nothing falling off/f@#ked
    Brake fluid change
    Pollen filter
    Wash
    Done
    That's the official 75k service schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbf most garages charge by the hour not half hour. Labour circa 65 per hour. Then any parts or fluids on top. expecting 76Euro for that is cutting it tight all the same. And im not one for defending garages.

Its not a throw it up there job, there is probably the hour total to do all the checks. certainly not 200 Plus no way not at all. but anywhere between 90-130 would seem reasonable depending on what was replaced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Servicing only takes 11 minutes....

The dealer disconnected my dashcam during service...

zg3409 wrote: »
    Servicing only takes 11 minutes....

The dealer disconnected my dashcam during service...

Interesting. He says "the part hasn't been manufactured yet" in that video. I probably inferred the recall was a replacement rather than an upgrade when I asked my dealer "It's been replaced already, what's to stop this replacement one breaking also?", to which I was told it's a new part.

They disconnected my dashcam last time too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement