Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Ireland that can speak Irish only?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Having to press Irish or English every time was so fcuking annoying. If they want a language option it should be encoded on the card.
    Jaypers that's a chore alright. But if you think that's bad, when I was your age, to change the TV channel I had to walk all the way from the sofa over to the TV set, wheel the knob and walk all the way back again.

Well the 2016 census indicates that 73000 people speak irish daily out of the total irish population.

111,000 roughly who speak it weekly.

If you were intending to respond to post 236 you are missing the point in quoting 2%.

My question relates to this, as posted: "From the data, second language (L2) speakers can be calculated by looking at the difference between native and total speakers, as a proportion of the total. For example, 66% of English speakers learned it as a second language."

The question is not what percentage of the total population speaks Irish as L2, but what percentage of all Irish speakers are L2 speakers. All those who are every day speakers are not necessarily L1 speakers. I appreciate that it may be very difficult if not impossible to divine this information but maybe it is capable of an educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

feargale wrote: »
    Jaypers that's a chore alright. But if you think that's bad, when I was your age, to change the TV channel I had to walk all the way from the sofa over to the TV set, wheel the knob and walk all the way back again.

:rolleyes:

The usual bullsh!t instead of engaging with the question asked, but that's the Irish language lobby all over.

So why can't they encode language preference in the card?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

:rolleyes:

The usual bullsh!t instead of engaging with the question asked, but that's the Irish language lobby all over.

So why can't they encode language preference in the card?

Ok engage with the issue. Press 1 button. How is that difficult?

Usual anti Irish language rubbish, search for an issue where there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I find it very funny that people feel there is an Irish language Lobby, but fail to see that there are Irish language speakers who couldn't give a Feic

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

paul71 wrote: »
    Ok engage with the issue. Press 1 button. How is that difficult?

Usual anti Irish language rubbish, search for an issue where there is none.

Press an extra button causing delay at an ATM where people may be fearful of mugging, because less than 1% of users need to impose that choice upon everyone else.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Press an extra button causing delay at an ATM where people may be fearful of mugging, because less than 1% of users need to impose that choice upon everyone else.

There you have it, folks. You Gaeilgeoiri have blood on your hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

uch wrote: »
    I find it very funny that people feel there is an Irish language Lobby, but fail to see that there are Irish language speakers who couldn't give a Feic

Sorry but I was with you up until that last word, are you polish or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

If you were intending to respond to post 236 you are missing the point in quoting 2%.

My question relates to this, as posted: "From the data, second language (L2) speakers can be calculated by looking at the difference between native and total speakers, as a proportion of the total. For example, 66% of English speakers learned it as a second language."

The question is not what percentage of the total population speaks Irish as L2, but what percentage of all Irish speakers are L2 speakers. All those who are every day speakers are not necessarily L1 speakers. I appreciate that it may be very difficult if not impossible to divine this information but maybe it is capable of an educated guess.

4% of our tiny population speaks the language as their daily method of communication.

This is why I quite often argue, that the Irish language is not actually particularly important either as a tool for mass communication or as a tool for promoting Irish culture/heritage.

Because so few people can/do speak the language on a daily basis, if you wanted to allocate funds for promoting Irish culture/history/heritage (call it what you will)... it actually doesn't make much sense to produce these things in the Irish language.

English is actually the most practical and sensible language to use when promoting Irish culture, as it gives you the best possible chance of reaching the largest audience - particularly with tourism etc. And yet the fanatical gaeilgeoir types ignore this logic when attempting to promote Irish culture.

You could pick many examples, but let's take comedy as one example... (it is classified under the art and culture sector btw)

Let's say you produced Father Ted as an Irish language show, instead of English.... Which is not a particularly crazy idea, as the show was written and produced by two Irish writers and set on a fictional Island off the west coast... so would have been ideal as an Irish language show.

That show has millions of fans around the world, including people like Steven Spielberg, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin... (Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees was even buried with a DVD box set of the show!) :pac:

But if you produced that show in Irish, you would have denied millions of these people the chance to enjoy a great example of Irish humour. And yet, producing the show in English doesn't stop any Irish language enthusiasts from enjoying it... because, as we all know, they're all fluent in English!

The argument behind pouring money into art or cultural projects produced in the Irish language, with the principal aim of promoting Irish culture/heritage/history etc, just doesn't make much logical sense... your target audience for the Irish language is always going to be tiny.

English is the best language to use, when promoting Irish culture... but this simple logic is lost on fanatical gaeilgeoir types, who are blinded by their emotional attachment to their ancient language. And it's pretty much pointless trying to have a common sense discussion, with anyone who forms their arguments based on emotion rather than logic! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

English is actually the most practical and sensible language to use when promoting Irish culture, as it gives you the best possible chance of reaching the largest audience - particularly with tourism etc. And yet the fanatical gaeilgeoir types ignore this logic when attempting to promote Irish culture.

English is the best language to use, when promoting Irish culture... but this simple logic is lost on fanatical gaeilgeoir types, who are blinded by their emotional attachment to their ancient language. And it's pretty much pointless trying to have a common sense discussion, with anyone who forms their arguments based on emotion rather than logic! ;)

You speak as if translating Irishness into English hasnt been tried before.... despite the facts that any translator will tell you..... There are no direct translations between languages. Why do you think there are hundreds of differing translations of the world's most famous book, the Bible?

Let's focus on your logical reasons and one that's right in front of your nose. Look out the window, whereever you are in Ireland. Find the irish name for location. It's almost certain to be more logical and informative than the English version.

If you go the mountains like I do, it's a lot more helpful for me when I can pickout Céim na mBulóg (pass of the bullocks) or Bruach na Binne (verge of the peak) instead of the mumbo jumbo English names of these beautiful summits in our landscape.... Camenabologue & Broaghnabinnia.

Knowing Irish grounds you.... to our land and to our traditions and it is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

20,500 people living in Gaeltachts speak it daily, 110,000 total speak it weekly, gives about 82% can speak it as a 'second language' (I'd say it's nearer 100%, but I never experienced Irish outside of school, really, so it's hard for me to judge)

Surprised that only 21% of people living in gaeltachts speak irish daily, if that's the case it mustnt be the main language for a lot that do speak it daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

You speak as if translating Irishness into English hasnt been tried before.... despite the facts that any translator will tell you..... There are no direct translations between languages. Why do you think there are hundreds of differing translations of the world's most famous book, the Bible?

Let's focus on your logical reasons and one that's right in front of your nose. Look out the window, whereever you are in Ireland. Find the irish name for location. It's almost certain to be more logical and informative than the English version.

If you go the mountains like I do, it's a lot more helpful for me when I can pickout Céim na mBulóg (pass of the bullocks) or Bruach na Binne (verge of the peak) instead of the mumbo jumbo English names of these beautiful summits in our landscape.... Camenabologue & Broaghnabinnia.

Knowing Irish grounds you.... to our land and to our traditions and it is beautiful.

Fairly weak reasons tbh...

How does using the Irish spelling of something give you a deeper connection to Ireland or your Irishness?

How does saying Baile Atha Cliath instead of Dublin, for example, make me any more Irish? It doesn't... it's just something you and others have been raised to believe. But there is no way of proving that it does!

Any more than using the words "cul-de-sac" or "Reconnaissance" would give me a deeper connection to the country of France! :p

If anything, when people use the occasional Irish word in everyday conversations... those words basically just become part of our particular dialect of the English language.

Like using Taoiseach instead of prime minister. Or Gardai instead of police... you're not any less Irish if you say Police instead of Gardai. And you're not really speaking Irish when you use those occasional words... they've just basically become part of our regional version of English.

I think you are a bit delusional, if you think using the Irish spelling of place names makes us more Irish or "grounds us to our land"... It doesn't. You've just been raised and brainwashed to believe that.

Btw, you failed to address my point about producing things in the Irish language. How does producing a TV show in Irish (Like the hypothetical example of Father Ted above) help to promote Irish culture... when the vast majority of people don't speak Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

How does using the Irish spelling of something give you a deeper connection to Ireland or your Irishness?

How does saying Baile Atha Cliath instead of Dublin, for example, make me any more Irish? It doesn't... it's just something you and others have been raised to believe. But there is no way of proving that it does!

Any more than using the words "cul-de-sac" or "Reconnaissance" would give me a deeper connection to the country of France! :p

If anything, when people use the occasional Irish word in everyday conversations... those words basically just become part of our particular dialect of the English language.

Like using Taoiseach instead of prime minister. Or Gardai instead of police... you're not any less Irish if you say Police instead of Gardai. And you're not really speaking Irish when you use those occasional words... they've just basically become part of our regional version of English.

I think you are a bit delusional, if you think using the Irish spelling of place names makes us more Irish or "grounds us to our land"... It doesn't. You've just been raised and brainwashed to believe that.

Btw, you failed to address my point about producing things in the Irish language. How does producing a TV show in Irish (Like the hypothetical example of Father Ted above) help to promote Irish culture... when the vast majority of people don't speak Irish?

To be correct a regional version of Hiberno English not English. It aligns with English rather than American English due to location but is distinctly Hiberno English.

If you want further info
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English
    http://www.stevenroyedwards.com/irishenglishterms.html

So even when we speak English, we are speaking the Irish version of it.

4% of our tiny population speaks the language as their daily method of communication.

This is why I quite often argue, that the Irish language is not actually particularly important either as a tool for mass communication or as a tool for promoting Irish culture/heritage.

Because so few people can/do speak the language on a daily basis, if you wanted to allocate funds for promoting Irish culture/history/heritage (call it what you will)... it actually doesn't make much sense to produce these things in the Irish language.

You could pick many examples, but let's take comedy as one example... (it is classified under the art and culture sector btw)

Let's say you produced Father Ted as an Irish language show, instead of English.... Which is not a particularly crazy idea, as the show was written and produced by two Irish writers and set on a fictional Island off the west coast... so would have been ideal as an Irish language show.

That show has millions of fans around the world, including people like Steven Spielberg, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin... (Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees was even buried with a DVD box set of the show!) :pac:

But if you produced that show in Irish, you would have denied millions of these people the chance to enjoy a great example of Irish humour. And yet, producing the show in English doesn't stop any Irish language enthusiasts from enjoying it... because, as we all know, they're all fluent in English!

The argument behind pouring money into art or cultural projects produced in the Irish language, with the principal aim of promoting Irish culture/heritage/history etc, just doesn't make much logical sense... your target audience for the Irish language is always going to be tiny.

You have missed the point of my post and either misread or ignored the question I asked.

It's clear from your posts that you have been damaged by your brush with the Irish language. Since you have taken this thread off topic again and again you may as well tell us all about it, I.e. the damage done to you by Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

Can't understand anything on here as i only read in irish lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

You seem to be setting up an 'either/or' situation that doesn't exist. Knowledge of Irish increases your connection - it's expansionary. It doesn't take from your existing knowledge/connection via English.

Regarding Dublin, if you knew that the word Dublin was referring to a specific dubh linn at Dublin Castle Gardens or that Atha Claith was referring to a site at the Liffey near Father Mathew Bridge, it expands your knowledge of Dublin and its history.

You might be happy not to know any of this. Just don't come complaining to me if you live in a place or estate called An Gleann Mór and you've poor signal.

Keep referring to them as the police and prime minister and come back here to tell us how you got on.

I didn't realise there was a point in your father ted paragraphs. It's not like anyone expected Channel 4 to broadcast an Irish language production?

How does producing a TV show in Irish help promote Irish culture? This is a rhetorical question I assume. Try watching TG4 sometime and experience it for yourself. There are English subtitles too so you've no excuse. There's a nice series on the go at the moment called DNA Caillte if you're interested in Irish history.

Denny61 wrote: »
    Can't understand anything on here as i only read in irish lol

The Bradley Wiggins syndrome.

Pride in one's ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

uch wrote: »
    They usually don't speak anymore though.

My godfather couldn't give a feck ..but he rarely speaks Irish ...same with his brother who lives in switzerland. Both from donegal gaeltacht.

The ones who still speak ...do actually give a feic ...deep down

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sgsdfsdfsd

Too much money being spent translating unimportant rubbish into irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

sgsdfsdfsd wrote: »
    And not enough translating rick and morty!

• Advertisement

sgsdfsdfsd wrote: »

It gives those with degrees in the language something to do...

You have missed the point of my post and either misread or ignored the question I asked.

It's clear from your posts that you have been damaged by your brush with the Irish language. Since you have taken this thread off topic again and again you may as well tell us all about it, I.e. the damage done to you by Irish.

Threads evolve, maybe its you thats taking it off topic?

I dont care much either way, but i too wonder how many use irish as their actual first language, id say its a tiny percentage of those that claim to speak it daily

Edit, theres 33 posts in the last 12 months in the irish language forum here, mostly by one moderator

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Edit, theres 33 posts in the last 12 months in the irish language forum here, mostly by one moderator

I wouldn't use Boards.ie as a measuring instrument for Irish. There was, for many years, an absolute apathy towards the language from the people who made the site tick (early Admins and S-Mods) and the prevailing culture of the site was set from the top down. There is at least one Admin with Irish now, but most posters have moved on.

Facebook groups like Gaeilge Amháin and the Irish Language Learners page get a lot of traffic. The Daltaí forums (founded in New York/New Jersey in the 1990s) and the Irish Language Forum (set up by an Australian in 2011) get a lot of the traffic that Boards should have aimed for. Twitter and Instagram are more popular with different demographics as well.

Advertisement