Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Cladding a possibility for an entrance???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The practical solution is to render and cap it.

Anyway, I don't want to be annoying you, so I'm out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Lumen wrote: »
    The practical solution is to render and cap it.

Anyway, I don't want to be annoying you, so I'm out :pac:

you're not annoying me at all, i agree if this was a fully thought out solution from the outset it would either be fence or wall, but it wasn't, its an organic thing (make it up as i go along :pac:)

mickdw wrote: »
    I think you will have a bit too much going on if you put too much detail on the entrance.
    The bay window sitting in the front facing gable is a busy enough feature.
    Id render the wall and use a simple cap but there is something wrong with the layout of the entrance walls. It looks terrible when looking towards the road.

jasus terrible is a strong word, picture is taken at an angle not straight on, from straight on its symmetrical, photo was just to show woods in background

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It could look brilliant , the planting around it will be a big factor ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,812 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bfclancy wrote: »
    you're not annoying me at all, i agree if this was a fully thought out solution from the outset it would either be fence or wall, but it wasn't, its an organic thing (make it up as i go along :pac:)

As it should be. Organic is the nature of home ownership. Anyone claiming to get it right from the start is telling fibs.

• Advertisement

I think you will have a bit too much going on if you put too much detail on the entrance.
    The bay window sitting in the front facing gable is a busy enough feature.
    Id render the wall and use a simple cap but there is something wrong with the layout of the entrance walls. It looks terrible when looking towards the road.

Too much going on ? ...... ... I see very little tbh. It's overall quite a blank canvas.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Like the gate, can you pm supplier please.

A relation made it, does so in his spare time for family, doesn't do it in a commercial sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,217 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you clad the back of the wall too? Because that is the side that you will see most of, and visitors will get a good look at as they leave, and will see it against the backdrop of trees.

I agree with Lumen, I am not a fan of cladding. I prefer to see walls that are essentially structure. But that's me and doesn't mean others have to agree with me. I'd refer a fence OR a wall. But if you like the idea of timber clad walls - and the one in the pic that someone posted does look good - then go for it.

I also don't like 'sets' of things - three piece suites, having everything matching - but I do feel that there needs to be some sense of connection between elements. They don't have to be the same, but there does need to be some sense of relevance. But again, that's my preference, it doesn't have to be yours.

Given a free run at the area I would put in mixed hedgerow in place of the walls and plant groups of trees in front of the house. Not to hide the house, but to dress it and give it a bit of intrigue, and bring it back into sympathy with the countryside around it.

On a related note, a couple of runs of post and rail down those side boundaries would really frame the site (unless it's your land on the both side of them).

But if the fencing you have works then it's complete frippery, so I shouid rightly fall on my amateur architectural sword.

Also agree with looksee that it's your wall and you should do whatever you want with it. These are just opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

listermint wrote: »
    Too much going on ? ...... ... I see very little tbh. It's overall quite a blank canvas.

The bay window really. Just seems abit much sitting on the front facing gable in my opinion. Its a fine property, dont get me wrong.

• Advertisement

The bay window really. Just seems abit much sitting on the front facing gable in my opinion. Its a fine property, dont get me wrong.

tbh, i didnt even notice it until i looked at the image a few times, thats how much it didnt jump out at me. Hence my point of not much. Its very muted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

bfclancy wrote: »
    I believe i may go with the cedar cladding, anyone know a good supplier in the Munster area

I used Abbey Woods for the external Iroko cladding on my house.
    They were the cheapest I could find.
    Cost was 4900 euros ex VAT for 1400 linear metres
    Picture of the unfinished house below

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5NYQZzHeLF/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

vote to plaster, as blocks in place and reduce further hardship and cost
    put a raised bed on outside and plant it to soften the look
    plant inside, suitable trees / shrubs.
    set a climber up wall it if you wish to hide wall later

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I'd go ahead and clad it. you can always rip it off in the future if you don't like it. You could also clad the wall around your patio to pull the house into it.

I'd go ahead and clad it. you can always rip it off in the future if you don't like it. You could also clad the wall around your patio to pull the house into it.

Be expensive to clad it to just then remove it at a later date, can't see from picture but wall around patio is built in liscannor stone so won't be cladding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what about the blockwork on the wall across the road? Maybe try to tie it in with that with a similar look?

seannash wrote: »
    I used Abbey Woods for the external Iroko cladding on my house.
    They were the cheapest I could find.
    Cost was 4900 euros ex VAT for 1400 linear metres
    Picture of the unfinished house below

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5NYQZzHeLF/

What width are those? They look about 50mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Lumen wrote: »
    What width are those? They look about 50mm.

44mm by 18mm

seannash wrote: »
    44mm by 18mm

Cool, so I think that works out about €80-90/sqm before wastage, including shadow gaps.

Hardwood is so expensive in Ireland, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5UFmQfKxI

You would need to hate money to make a fence that size from cedar in Ireland.

Advertisement