Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions

Options
  • 09-08-2020 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭

Anyone else an absolute moron with directions?

I mean for example, if I hear on the news that something happened in the West, I need to go "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" in my head to figure out where the West was.

Same with left and right. Need to think in my head what hand i write with before determining the actual direction:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Seems harmless enough.
    You're not thinking if becoming an airline pilot by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Well now, I wouldn't start from here, if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Seems harmless enough.
    You're not thinking if becoming an airline pilot by chance?

Nah, watched Sully a few weeks ago. Not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

I used to have a reasonable sense of direction.

But it's gone to hell since I got Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

I'd get lost in a circle. My mantra is all roads lead somewhere! Thank god now for sat navs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Before Google Maps existed and I had to ask for directions from random people in the street. If they said more 2 lefts/rights I would lose all grasp of what they were saying and just thank them before scooting off in the general direction.

Ahh..Why wouldn't you eat shredded wheat?..It's ok like..haven't had it in years..prefer weetabix myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

My head hurts when someone cant tell the difference between north, south, east and west.

Degag wrote: »

I mean for example, if I hear on the news that something happened in the West, I need to go "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" in my head to figure out where the West was.

Same with left and right. Need to think in my head what hand i write with before determining the actual direction:rolleyes:

Your left hand is designed to tell you it's on the left. Extend your index finger and your thumb and it's an L. Try doing the same with your other hand to find an R.

East, west though. Maybe there's something with toes.

Ahh..Why wouldn't you eat shredded wheat?..It's ok like..haven't had it in years..prefer weetabix myself..

But eating shredded Weetabix would make you a wierdo surely

• Advertisement

Confusing left and right is extremely common and is nothing to do with your level of intelligence. That's why if you're having a kidney removed or a knee operated on they will often draw around it or point an arrow at the correct side, so the doctor doesn't accidentally take the left instead of the right or vice versa.

. That's why if you're having a kidney removed or a knee operated on they will often draw around it or point an arrow at the correct side, so the doctor doesn't accidentally take the left instead of the right or vice versa.

Happened my aunt there a couple of years ago..Not sure what she got done, but they did the wrong side..

Happened my aunt there a couple of years ago..Not sure what she got done, but they did the wrong side..

Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Was staying at a resort in Majorca, and one night walked "home" to another resort (wasn't drunk - my ex was, so figuring out the way home was my job).

I used to work in Dublin's north inner city and lived on the south side. Every evening - without fail - I would head "home" north, up Capel Street.

I'm a reasonably intelligent person but that part of my brain doesn't work.
    sugarman wrote: »
    I've always strangely had a great sense of direction, even if I land into a new destination I've never visited or done any prior research on I'll have it sussed in a few hours unaided.

I've always wondered where it comes from.

I've traveled in large groups over the years and seen first hand just how bad some people really are with it. Like not being able to find there way back to hotels and heading miles in the opposite direction and such.

Sure I know people who have gotten lost in their own City. People from Dublin getting lost IN Dublin.

Is it something we subconsciously learn over time? Why are some people good at it and other bad?
    My brother reckons terrible sense of direction (i.e. mine) is just laziness, and reliance on others to learn the directions. That you should always be mapping things in your mind when in a new place. His words have made an impression on me all right, as my sense of direction has improved since he said that.

My brother reckons terrible sense of direction (i.e. mine) is just laziness, and reliance on others to learn the directions. That you should always be mapping things in your mind when in a new place. His words have made an impression on me all right, as my sense of direction has improved since he said that.

Wouldn't necessarily agree. I think its a skill of sorts. Like, i am very good with figures. But some friends of mine would struggle adding 2+2 (not really but you know what i mean) but would have no problem directing you to some random rural place in west cork with exactness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No...

No...

Or maybe you mean Yes? Maybe you have an issue with affirmedness (made up word i reckon).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm too brave to ask for directions and just walk every direction I think till i find where I was looking for

Asking a stranger for directions seems more of a generational thing, where abouts the younger generation would be more embarrassed by it than older folk

What I hate though is if someone asks you for directions and you don't know, they give u a dirty look, well piss off you ****ing cow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

touts wrote: »
    I used to have a reasonable sense of direction.

But it's gone to hell since I got Google maps.

I have a good sense, but use my TomTom or Google for long drives. I actually miss the challenge of plotting a route on a map

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Used to be clueless with directions when younger , pretty good now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Degag wrote:
    but would have no problem directing you to some random rural place in west cork with exactness

The standard rural directions:

Take the first left, keep going for 2 miles and next right.

Go easy going over Brady's Bridge, and take it handy at Murphys Bad Bend. Jacksie turned the Passat over there last week bringing Bridie to Mass.

If you go by Doyle's sheds, you have gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Common trait with dyslexia... my son is dyslexic, has no clue of left and right and is also ambidextrous... something to do with which side of his brain is dominant, I remember they made him do lots of tests of looking through a hole in a piece of paper with each eye, and confirming one side of his brain was more dominant than the other? Something like that?

Saying that I’m also useless with it, but not dyslexic... I use the Wales/England for west/East ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    The standard rural directions:

Take the first left, keep going for 2 miles and next right.

Go easy going over Brady's Bridge, and take it handy at Murphys Bad Bend. Jacksie turned the Passat over there last week bringing Bridie to Mass.

If you go by Doyle's sheds, you have gone too far.

Was in England a few years ago ( quite a few as no sat navs), and asked directions for a particular road.

“Keep going straight and it’s the third last turn on the right”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Or maybe you mean Yes? Maybe you have an issue with affirmedness (made up word i reckon).

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

My wife got an appointment for 2nd Vaccine at LK Racecourse.
    Could someone please let me know what number exit do I take to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Anyone had experience of sat navs telling you do drive east or west? How in the lords name are you to know which way you're facing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

cnoc wrote: »
    My wife got an appointment for 2nd Vaccine at LK Racecourse.
    Could someone please let me know what number exit do I take to get there?

Limerick? Exit 9 off the M50.

Thanks a million Appreciated.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Anyone had experience of sat navs telling you do drive east or west? How in the lords name are you to know which way you're facing?

Sat Nav.....................

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant the LK Tunnel coming from Co Clare.

Advertisement