Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How would you solve the problem of ICE/Non-EV vehicles parked in bays designed for EV

• 06-08-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

how would you solve the problem of ICE/Non-EV vehicles parked in car parks in bays designed for charging EV's ?

is there an effective deterrent do you think?

I have a suggestion , but i dont know how viable it would be . Some kind of ramp in the space or collapsible post that lowers when you swipe your charge card on the screen but is raised at all other times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Remove them at owner expense, this means set it up where recovery companies can lift and set a fee which they must all stick to.

I see the Dublin clampers have more vans that can tow then ever before which is great but I've yet to see a car attached.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

is there normally any signs up that says 'if a non electric vehicle is parked in this space it will be clamped' - I never seem to see any signs like that .... but maybe the charger company (lets say ESB e-car chargers for an example) cannot legally do this. - so then is it all done on etiquette and good will basis then that they hope non-ev owners will not park in, or bloke the space, when using car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

is there normally any signs up that says 'if a non electric vehicle is parked in this space it will be clamped' - I never seem to see any signs like that .... but maybe the charger company (lets say ESB e-car chargers for an example) cannot legally do this. - so then is it all done on etiquette and good will basis then that they hope non-ev owners will not park in, or bloke the space, when using car parks?

County council would have the powers of implementation is done....
    Bye laws and so on...

Easy fix, huge fines, removal of vehicles with huge fine and nice cost of lift....
    Clamp but move it elsewhere 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

7 penalty points, that way someone can only do it once before being off the road. Additionally an EV owner leaving their car fully charged for more than an hour should also get 7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

And they will get a parking ticket for non compliance of rules on signs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Simple, flip up rising barrier that is deactivated by the charger.

Or, you get billed for a full days lost revenue & towed.

County council would have the powers of implementation is done....
    Bye laws and so on...

Easy fix, huge fines, removal of vehicles with huge fine and nice cost of lift....
    Clamp but move it elsewhere 1st.

indeed - move it out the way first . if they just clamp it , it still takes up the spot while its clamped

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have A4 sheets of paper explaining what they’ve done is wrong, and by doing so, they’ve caused an unnecessary amount of hardship to those that the space was designated for...

You can use the glue of your choice to stick the message to their windscreen (right in their line of sight when driving), prit stick, wallpaper paste, superglu, epoxy resin......

But seriously, car lifted and stored at a compound with a €500 release fee.
    The problem won’t disappear overnight, but you’ll never get repeat offenders, so eventually the message will get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

One word, flamethrower

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's up to whoever owns the parking space, charging company has no power over this. Some spaces are ev only, but I've never heard of it being enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Traffic wardens do enforce near where i work

Have A4 sheets of paper explaining what they’ve done is wrong, and by doing so, they’ve caused an unnecessary amount of hardship to those that the space was designated for...

You can use the glue of your choice to stick the message to their windscreen (right in their line of sight when driving), prit stick, wallpaper paste, superglu, epoxy resin......

But seriously, car lifted and stored at a compound with a €500 release fee.
    The problem won’t disappear overnight, but you’ll never get repeat offenders, so eventually the message will get through.

Why stop with paper and glue, bring a mig welder and practice your welding by etching a message into the driver's door :-)

greasepalm wrote: »
    Traffic wardens do enforce near where i work

Really? Mind if I ask where that was?

Most of the public charging I did was at clontarf train station. I've seen it iced several times by Irish rail vans!

One time, I'm pretty sure it was the parking wardens van parked in the charging space, great enforcement there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Simple, flip up rising barrier that is deactivated by the charger.

Or, you get billed for a full days lost revenue & towed.

That would damage my Cyber Truck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I saw a photo a while back and in Japan they had a bollard that blocked space and hinged flat when activated by app of EV.

At least a big no parking sign is needed, tow away in operation with the phone number for a tow truck. Dublin clampers tow cars off double yellow around the corner then clamp them.

Fines are issued in many areas to EVs too. Dublin City, Bray, Dun Laoghaire. It depends who owns parking space.

Cashel Ionity needs a barrier urgently. Often all spots are ICEd with cars with drivers gone. They need a raising barrier to enter that area of the car park.

A did see a video of a 4 wheel drive Tesla that dragged a truck out of an EV spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe when Cybertruck comes, it’ll be able to park on top of the ICE.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    That would damage my Cyber Truck

I'm pretty sure in fact the cyber truck will damage the bollard :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Education, a proper sign indicating the illegality of parking in an dedicated EV charging space.
    Thereafter, traffic wardens and Garda reporting

I think the charging bays should have cameras or sensors to detect when a vehicle is occupying the space and that information should be displayed in the app, so at least you could see if a space was occupied without a car being plugged in before heading to a particular charger.

The information could also be relayed back to traffic wardens, so they could send someone out to ticket the offender

Doesn't exactly solve the ICEing problem in itself, but it would stop the situation where a charger is marked as free in the app only for you to see a vehicle parked there upon arriving at the charger

sensors on the charging point - ICE vehicles are pretty noticeable (vroom of petrol , chugginess of diesels) so an audio sensor on the post and if it detects an ICE vehicle the speaker shouts out and embarrasses them "this space is reserved for Electric Vehicles only! - if you do not move your car will be towed away and there will be a release fee" all automated - the person parking will be able to play russian roulette and decide for themselves whether this is a bonifide threat or not ... I would say the majority will heed the warning and move it to somewhere else in the car park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What about charged EVs hogging parking spots?

sensors on the charging point - ICE vehicles are pretty noticeable (vroom of petrol , chugginess of diesels) so an audio sensor on the post and if it detects an ICE vehicle the speaker shouts out and embarrasses them "this space is reserved for Electric Vehicles only! - if you do not move your car will be towed away and there will be a release fee" all automated - the person parking will be able to play russian roulette and decide for themselves whether this is a bonifide threat or not ... I would say the majority will heed the warning and move it to somewhere else in the car park

I really like this system, my only addition would be that it keeps repeating the message until they move, they might feel like they've gotten away with it if it's only once.

That, or just emit a constant high pitched screaming noise to drive them off :D

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What about charged EVs hogging parking spots?

Charged as in paying for parking, or as in electrocute the driver of the vehicle? Because I'm in favour of both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

block their car and drag the lead to yours. see how they like that

..... That, or just emit a constant high pitched screaming noise to drive them off :D

My zoe already makes a high pitched screaming noise when charging it ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭kaahooters

would it not be easier to just move the charging points away from parking?

all the ev charging ive seen has been placed in parking spaces, reclamed like.
    just build them there own area thats away from the other spaces with a canopy?

i mean, if it looks like parking , which most chargpoints do, itll be treated as parking.

kaahooters wrote: »
    would it not be easier to just move the charging points away from parking?

all the ev charging ive seen has been placed in parking spaces, reclamed like.
    just build them there own area thats away from the other spaces with a canopy?

i mean, if it looks like parking , which most chargpoints do, itll be treated as parking.

Bjorn Nyland did a video on this and he did make a good point that putting DC chargers on parking spaces doesn't make sense because the cable if often quite short and can end up lying on top of the car. Certainly a petrol station forecourt style setup would be much better I reckon

For AC chargers it's a bit tricker, the nature of them means you'll presumably be there for quite some time, in other words parked. In that case it makes sense to use parking spaces as you want to be space efficient in the car park

Advertisement