Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

That leaves you with at least a few theories who were/are credible .....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You seem obsessed with right or wrong, black or white.

That there are elements in common doesn't validate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

I suggest you start working on your comprehension and discussion skills first and worry about my obsessions later

You're going the route of infinite monkeys.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Finally!

The “lab leak theory” was dismissed and censored as a conspiracy theory when speculation began as to the origin of Covid 19.

There were many theories that were not credible that were all labelled as the “lab leak theory” to discredit the notion that the pandemic emerged from a lab.

The theory that Covid 19 was a result of a naturally occurring virus that was manipulated in a lab and then escaped is a theory that is possible in my opinion.

I don’t believe that the virus was created as a weapon. I don’t believe it was deliberately leaked but the vast majority of people have never believed either of these positions.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I disagree that it was dismissed and censored by all.

The rest of it I have no argument with. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But it's possible.

The main theories as to the origin of Covid were:

It emerged from the wet market in Wuhan.

It emerged from a leak at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

It originated on frozen food imported to China.

This is not the case. The “lab leak theory” as you yourself have defined it

”The lab leak theory is the notion that the virus leaked from a lab.”

was dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Where did I say anything about an absolute conclusion?

So why didn't the FBI reach the same conclusions about the virus as the conspiracy theorists who claimed it was released on purpose etc?

Can we dismiss those theories as false?

• Advertisement

Lol. You seem very upset when people don't answer your questions, yet continue to do that when it suits you. Very strange.

But the "Lab leak theory" was not dismissed or censored. It certainly wasn't because of a conspiracy was trying to censor it.

But when you are asked for examples of this, you dodge. Or present things that don't support what you claim, then you start dodging.

When you are asked why this occurred, you dodge.

When you are asked to explain why the FBI wasn't dismissed or censored, you dodge.

Main theories (debatable) is not a complete list....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The post below was only a few days. You were asked for proof of these claims and were completely unable to do so. The linked articles actually contradicted your claims.

You are being completely disingenuous and your claims have no credibility. Your position shifts from post to post in an entirely self serving manner. So round and round the thread goes as you make a claim, you are challenged on it and unable to support it. You shift the goalposts then eventually rehash the same claim as if nothing happened.

Heres the evidence from last time round.

Definitive positive proof of your deliberate misrepresentation:

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think it's more arguing for arguing sake.

The issue with that it details any meaningful discussion on the subject. So it makes getting involved in these threads pointless. It's up to the mods to allow it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Has no one ever conspired?

Has no one ever theorised?

Regarding the sale of nicotine, many (quite rightly) theorised that the manufacturers and safety bodies were conspiring to maintain a safe status for a damaging product.

My favorite one is they switched the titanic for the sister ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You have things very upsidedown

The conspiracy theory community didn't uncover anything, they just pointed at Covid from day one and said inside job, like they do to everything. Saying it was man-made. The thread on this forum is literally titled "Covid-19 likely to be man made".

The FBI haven't stated that it was man-made. They have investigated and eventually, over time, they have concluded that they believe it was a lab leak incident. Which was never ruled out. I said that lab leak was possible multiple times.

Keep in mind FBI have this theory at "most likely", the dept of energy have it at "low confidence", and there's a big portion of the scientific and expert community who believe it was from the wet market, and have produced peer reviewed papers supporting that. So there's no consensus.

Conspiracies and collusion happen all the time. Simply open a newspaper.

The issue is that there's a conspiracy community who repeatedly claim that events are all sorts of fantastic conspiracies. The spam effect.

Once in a blue moon the two vaguely cross paths. And the conspiracy theorists then claim "victory" for something they never uncovered.

It reminds me of how in his trials, Alex Jones constantly claimed he was right about WMDs and Jesse Smollet. Which on the face of it would seem to be true.

But of course that would require you ignore all of the things he also claimed were faked and also the reasons he believed these things were faked.

• Advertisement

Not only was the lab leak theory suppressed and censored, some powerful interests continue to seek to suppress its discussion.

Your article refers to:

State-owned Global Times warned Musk on Tuesday not to “bite the hand that feeds you,” according to a translation of a Mandarin idiom by CNBC reporter Eunice Yoon, who first spotted the post on WeChat.

So someone from a Chinese media outlet told Musk not to tweet stuff on the Chinese version of twitter.

On top of this not being very secret or conspiratorial, did it even work? Did Musk stop tweeting stuff about covid?

Not a very good example to supports your argument.

Why do you think lab leak censorship has to be very secret or “conspiratorial”?

It was policy, not secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭geospatial

It is not a conspiracy theory to suggest SARS2 is a naturally occuring virus that could have leaked from a lab, this has happened numerous times in history in multiple countries. There were at least four leaks of the SARS1 virus in 2002/03 from labs that were studying the virus.

What is now incresingly accepted as a credible conspirany theory is that SARS2 may have started out as a naturally occuring virus, but gained its somewhat unique properties (furin cleavage site in it's spike protein) via gain of function experiments in a lab, most likely in Wuhan. The evidence for this may be circumstantial but it is fairly complelling. It is not just possible that this type of research work was going on, it is well documented in published research from both the US and China.

Suggestions that SARS2 was a chimeric virus that leaked from a research lab were absolutely dismissed and ridiculed from early 2020 onwards, to suggest otherwise is simply rewriting history. Fauci's denial that the US governmrnt funded gain of function research at the WIV is derisorary given published research that describes such work and grant proposals from 2018 outlining future studies.

So what has changed recently that now both the FBI (they may have believed from some time, but they are only now making it public) and more importantly the DOE have stated the virus likely leaked from a lab? It is likely they have uncovered some evidence, beyond what is in the public domain. What we do know is that there was a proposal in 2018 from EcoHealth (US non profit who were funding coronavirus research in Wuhan using NIH funds) to insert furin cleavage sites into bat coronaviruses to study whether that made them more infectious to humans. This proposal was rejected by the US gvoernment, but there is a lingering susoecios that the research could have been done at the WIV.

The US government is the only likely means of getting to the truth, although this would involve an admission of shared responsibility. We will obviosuly never get useful evidence from China, as the CCP would never admit to anything that would be embarrasing to them.

My best guess is that the DOE have access to the WIV database which was taken offline in late 2019, and have more knowledge on what experiments were done than is in the public domain. As to the timing of the DOE and FBI announcements, more than likely this is simply getting ahead of the story before congressional hearings begin.

https://oversight.house.gov/release/wenstrup-comer-launch-first-select-subcommittee-investigation-into-covid-origins-and-u-s-taxpayer-dollars-funneled-to-the-wuhan-lab%ef%bf%bc/

Because that's the usual excuse for why conspiracy theorists aren't able to provide evidence for their claims.

If it was policy then, post the policy from the groups you believe were involved. Post the statements from the people who engaged in this "censorship" that say (not your personal misrepresentations) that they are censoring it.

I suspect that like with previous difficult points (including the one in the post you quote) you will ignore this and attempt to deflect by demanding I answer some new tangent.

Some censorship since it was widely discussed and everyone was talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭geospatial

Facebook and Twitter censured posts from February to May 2021 that suggested Covid ws "man made" or "manufactured". As far as I can tell they reversed the decision due to an evolving understanding of what "man made" meant and didn't necessarily mean made from scratch or made for weapons purposes. I am not aware of any scientist who has proposed that the virus was built from scratch or for weapons use, but there are plenty scientists who have proposed it could well be the result of gain of function work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is another blatant misrepresentation of the article's contents.

On Sunday, however, Musk apparently crossed the line when he amplified tweets drawing attention to allegations the U.S. government altered a coronavirus found in bats at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, creating COVID-19 in the process. 

How does this prove people were labelled a conspiracy theorist for raising possibility of an accidental lab leak of a naturally originated virus?

It doesn't.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

In conspiracy land, accidental lab leak = man-made bioweapon and everything in between

• Advertisement

What?

Does this in your mind somehow contradict the notion that Covid 19 leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology?

Advertisement